• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to hang steel plates?

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Perhaps a silly question, but I'm curious to see what solutions folks are using for portable steel plate holders.

I'm looking to make something up that is relatively easy to move and/or disassemble, but sturdy enough to hold at least 50lb of plates and won't fall apart if the frame takes a hit or two.

Thanks for the ideas!

Re: How to hang steel plates?

I use re-bar. Cut a 4-5" piece and weld it at a 45 to make a Y on one end. Pound two of those into the ground for the legs. On your target weld a piece of angle iron on the back and put another piece of re-bar through the angle iron and hang it on the "Y" legs.
Clear as mud?

Here is what I came up with, everything available at home depot. You need a 1 1/4 flat bar, 3/4" square tube, and three 1/2" rebar (mine are 3').

Total cost of the project is about $15 and enough to make two of them.

It will hold up to a 20 lb plate, maybe more, but that all I have. This particular plate is used for cast and is 3/8", my other is 3/4" mild steel and I have knocked it around with a 308 and 7.62x54r and it never fell (from hitting the plate).

The worst thing is to hit the rebar and knock it down, just reach into the truck and get another rebar, they are only $2.50.

dsc03560c.jpg

By roggom at 2011-05-05

dsc03559mu.jpg

By roggom at 2011-05-05

dsc03556n.jpg

By roggom at 2011-05-05

dsc03555zc.jpg

By roggom at 2011-05-05

roggm -- that is an AWESOME setup.

Question. Would you suggest having two legs on the back vs the one (to prevent shooting the back leg out)?

+1 old fire hose. The fire department can't sell them, reuse them, etc and are often more than willing to dispose of them to you.

Even so, if you invite your friends who miss alot, the fire hose too will eventually fail, but it take a long time.

Way better than chains though.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockmyglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">roggm -- that is an AWESOME setup.

Question. Would you suggest having two legs on the back vs the one (to prevent shooting the back leg out)? </div></div>

Yes that could work; for this design, I went with a tripod type of support with the weight of the plate pulling equally and anchoring the legs into the ground. The plate covers the rear leg up some. I will have to look into a rear "V" type.

Roggom, what angles are the leg slots at?...45..? That is a awesome set-up....simple and effective for sure!

These are the best answer....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are badass and well worth the money. We just hung the steel with wire. That way if you blast one, it's very easy to just replace the wire.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...559#Post2534559 </div></div>
I can hang 3 plates from 1 stand built with these using 4' pieces of rebar.

As far as hanging them, I got a piece of conveyor belt that we replaced @ work. Make a loop with it attached to bolt holes and run horizontal piece of rebar thru the loop.

Chains suck. Well, I think chains suck. One shot to a chain and its broken. The conveyor belt (or old fire hose) can take several shots and not break. I have not used the fire hose but it is much like the conveyor belt.

I bought metal, welded up a stand, painted them and everything. Just junk metal laying in the garage now. Take it from me, save yourself time and money. Go with Ace's stand holders and find some old conveyor or hose (or similar type material).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roggom, what angles are the leg slots at?...45..? That is a awesome set-up....simple and effective for sure! </div></div>

Yes, at about 45, if you want a higher stand, go about 60.

Not knocking any other stand, mine is just an option. I set them up at various distances and I can hump both sets out in one run. Will have to look into the fire hose option, but haven't broke a chain yet.

Rebar with Baler belt.

Use a 1/2 inch bolt through the target then through the baler belt. The belt is connected to itself with a lag screw driven by an electric drill...

Simple, cheap and effective...

When someone...you...blow the leg off, then weld it back on...no worries

targetsmall.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you attach the fire hose?</div></div>

Wrap one end around the horizontal bar (rebar etc) and secure it with a bolt. Secure the steel plate to the other end with a bolt. You can drill a hole in the fire hose, then run the bolt through it.

Works great, you can shoot through the fire hose hundreds of time w/o any problem. Hit a chain once and its done.

Roggom, that is a good idea. Much more portable then my setup. I used some PVC pipe as a frame set over some rebar driven into the ground. It works well, but I end up replacing a tube every few months after it has been shot too much.

I use the top tube from chainlink fencing to weld a "U" shaped frame, and attach a third leg using a chainlink to post bracket, so it is similar to what was shown above but folds flat rather than disassembling - pretty cheap and light. They have survived a number of leg hits so far, perhaps better than solid stock since a single round cannot shear a leg off. I wouldn't worry too much about a single rear leg in the middle - maybe you're a better shot than we are, but I get more windage misses than elevation misses.
+1 on avoiding chain - I still use it because I have it, but a single hit (even with a 223 at 300 yards) can cut 1/4" chain.

I have a lot of customers that use seat belt material. The braided construction allows many hits before failure. Most have told me $10 at the local scrap yard and the guys will let you cut them out of the cars all day long.

I have actually done some targets with slots for some local guys who wanted to loop the seat belt through and not use any bolts on the plate.

But fire hose, baler banding, tire rubber, chain....all of em work.

ACE is a good guy. Deal with him in confidence.

t-posts and conveyor belt. I've yet to replace any of these and they have been up for 3+ years.

range1.jpg

How did you secure the T-posts together, ptaylor?

I don't have access to a welder, so its looking like a pre-made setup like what Ace has (have a PM into him) with rebar would work best for my needs.

That rebar stand is rad. I'm gonna have to weld up a bracket for something like that. I don't have a portable stand that actually works - I post hole 4x4 stands at the range.

For hanging, as others have said - conveyer belt is the way to go. Doesn't get completely destroyed by wayward rounds and the target steadies much quicker than with chains. I cut it in 2" strips and drill a hole in each end.

Where do you guys get conveyer belt from? Any "normal" retail type place?

I got a whole used belt from a guy I know who works at Gulfstream. It's a good 5/8" thick.

They wear out sooner or later - the one I have is worn down to the thread in one spot. I'd just ask around at local factories and such. I'd imagine most places would much rather take $20 than haul it out to the dumpster.

I use a piece of 3/4" pipe, & 4 pieces of 4' 2" X 4"s with 1 1/4" holes in one end. I also use old fire hose to attach the target. @ ea 8' outdoor 2 X 4's are about $4.00, & the pipe I find around for free. Put the pipe through the holes with the tgt hanging, & make the wood as an A-Frame @ each end. They can take several hits @ long ranges without breaking.

this is what i've been using for many years... 1/2" galvanized pipe connectors.
it meets your "takedown" criteria nicely and involves no welding

stand1.JPG

stand2.JPG

also lets me hang several pieces of steel, although only one is shown in this pic

another side benefit is that milling a 48" piece of horizontal rebar is MUCH easier than an 8-12" plate.

I usually use leather, but firehose is great if you can get it.

Recently, I asked -ace- to weld some joints for me. His are nice, but a sharper angle, so the plates stand much taller than the 90* stands above. I like the wider angle because I often put the stands on fairly steep hills, and some of my berms are shorter than I'd like, so I like the targets to hang as low as possible.

this is what -ace-'s rebar joints look like in the field

stand3.JPG

I used fencing pliers and bailing wire doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Here is my target stand,i just finished it...
Steel plates from BOBCAT STEEL.com paid $55 delivered! ; )
Sawhorse and hardware from home depot ,paid $50 , so total cost for target around $100
Can't wait to go shoot it
smile.gif

dscf2664p.jpg

dscf2663b.jpg

I have a 30x20 inch AR500 plate that I welded solid bar on the top of ether end. I made some legs that slid onto it on ether side with wind flag attachments. Every now and then I have to weld up the holes in the legs. This was my 6 shot 1400 yard group.

M1120005-1.jpg

One of my friends first time shooting a rifle. He is now the newest member of the 1000 yard club. He even had a dead center hit.
M1360003.jpg

The big plate was getting to easy. So I put the 12 inch disks on ether side. 1009 yard hits.

IMG_20110214_150029.jpg

I have brackets just like -Ace's- that I have been using, guess great minds think alike. I found old 1/2 inch plumbing pipe, welded 2 together angled for leg braces, and one on the top for each side rebar support tubes.

Works like a charm

Very good timing...

This thread is like bacon wrapped cupcakes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lelandEOD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very good timing...

This thread is like bacon wrapped cupcakes... </div></div>

Guess it wasn't such a silly question after all...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are badass and well worth the money. We just hung the steel with wire. That way if you blast one, it's very easy to just replace the wire.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...559#Post2534559 </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ace... thanks for a great Product !</span>

These stands kick ass!! never even moved them... even with a big 375 Allen magnum !

Gonna order some more for sure !! send me your info in a PM again...
grin.gif

Before and after pictures... 420 meters
100_08694.jpg

013139.jpg

Notice the wind flag on the picture above !
015125.jpg

100_09524.jpg

That looks like great country to shoot in. But you are cheating with the wind flag, you need to just grab a hand full of dirt and let the wind blow it away like quiley does it. Great pictures of your target stands by the way.

Whilst not anywhere as fancy as the previous posters, figure-8 hooks available off the shelf at home improvement stores offered a decent tie-in point for steel plates when you want them bolted but still offering a way to tie them up with rope or chains.
url]

Conveyor belt and fire hose are my favorites.

For the stands, the design Ace is selling is an old standby (Outback runs a similar 3 tubed corner too).

I like the plumber's "no weld" version above too.

I like welding a nut to the back of the plate. Ever have the carriage bolts shot out? We had that happen twice with 60+ shooters taking turns at a night shoot a couple years back. Never had it happen dicking around or for our local matches, but when we had the first TPRC in 09 I'll be damned if the guys didn't peg the bolts twice, and in the dark to boot!

100_09524.jpg

2 in tha pink!

man, that's too funny

I spent a while at Lowe's this morning looking at options, and now I'm thinking about building something similar to taliv's setup but with 1/2" galvanized EMT conduit.

Looks like with 5 5' conduit pieces, 2 pull elbows, and 2 two-hole straps I could have a frame for about $15...with parts affordable enough that repairs, replacement, & additional frames would be fairly cheap.

I'm thinking about using 3/32" vinyl coated wire cable for hanging the plates; its cheaper/lighter than chain and I think it'd probably be a little more durable.

...or maybe old treadmill belt?

Here's what I did for a non-weld target stand. This one is assembled with quick release pins but 1/4" bolts would work just as well. I used 1" conduit because I had a bunch of left over from when I built the frame for my wall tent. The 1" conduit is just a tiny bit too big to slide in the fittings. I used my drill with a cheap stone to knock down the treads inside the fitting so the couduit would fit. Drilled a hole and slided in a bolt to hold everything together. Easily folds for storage. Quite stable as well.

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

the setup i did today actually, rebar bent at the 28 in marks, and the back bar is bent at 3-4 inches. weight keeps everything steady and pinned down

Photo0179.jpg

Photo0181.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the setup i did today actually, rebar bent at the 28 in marks, and the back bar is bent at 3-4 inches. weight keeps everything steady and pinned down

Photo0179.jpg

Photo0181.jpg
</div></div>

Photobucket is blocked where I work, but I imagine its the same design as mine. My angles were a little off when I built my set up almost exactly like -Ace's- so I just bend my rebar about 6 inches or so down on each bar to make it stick up more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Photobucket is blocked where I work</div></div>

But Sniper's Hide isn't?

That's pretty funny...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Photobucket is blocked where I work</div></div>

But Sniper's Hide isn't?

That's pretty funny... </div></div>

I work for an ISP so websites like that would potentially kill bandwidth for us and customers.

But I have been contemplating building a standing AR500 silhouette target, with the middle cut out to swivel when shot.

Only thing I need to invest in is a better welder and plasma cutter, and I will be set...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 old fire hose. The fire department can't sell them, reuse them, etc and are often more than willing to dispose of them to you.

Even so, if you invite your friends who miss alot, the fire hose too will eventually fail, but it take a long time.

Way better than chains though.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Works better than anything else.

I just bought one of those sign holders from Home Depot. Cost about 5 bucks.
Target.jpg