• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s How To Inflate A Tire

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
Pretty cool.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CW_TYS_Gv9k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CW_TYS_Gv9k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: How To Inflate A Tire

We use to do that with semi truck tire,using starting fluid.They took the explosion elements out of the starting now days.We use a 5 gallon air tank with a air 2 inch pipe out of the tank about a foot long with a flat sprout on the end. Notice the plates and the launage used,forgein.

H.D.,
Semi truck tire? I would think that's a lot of starter fluid. So, you can;t use the starter fluid in the U.S. to do this?

I remember seeing my dad and uncle doing this to inflate a tractor tire when I was a kid. I also remember them telling me to scram because it was extremely dangerous.

Over doing it ,spray on too much starting fuild will lift a 250 tire/steel wheel off the ground a foot or two. Always fun to do it that way. Semi truck tire requires two complete passes,then throw a lighted match and turn your face back to avoid hair being burn off! Now days they took the potent elements out of the starting fuild. Of course one could still try.....

When they made starting fluid diesel safe it quit going bang in a big way.
The Cheetah was a great invention, it saved some eyebrows I am sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they made starting fluid diesel safe it quit going bang in a big way.
<span style="font-weight: bold">The Cheetah was a great invention, it saved some eyebrows I am sure</span>... </div></div>

That is very funny.

How NOT to Inflate a Tire with fire.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fO9M6W6XxMM&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fO9M6W6XxMM&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

seems easy enough
laugh.gif

Works great, but you've got to find the can with the warning 'Do not use this product to seat tire beads.' That seems to work the best, for some odd reason....

One other way is to use a ratchet strap wrapped around the entire circumference of the tire tread. Click it down, and the sidewalls will get pushed against the wheel beads. Put some air in (not all, just some) and then take the ratchet strap back off. Once the strap is removed, then air the tire back up. *I take no responsibility for injuries incurred by anybody dumb enough to to air a tire up completely prior to removing the ratchet strap -- do this at your own risk.*

Then again, if you can shoot you should be able to figure out a ratchet strap....

this definitely works, i've seen it on the discovery channel in alaska or antarctica or somewhere. they were running real low tire pressure and someone's tire came off one side of the rim. pretty neat trick

I've done it before with many tires including skid loader tires and trailer and truck tires. A small bit of gasoline will work just fine and I mean a SMALL bit !!!!!! The thinking that alittle more will work better than just a little bit is the wrong way to go....Start with a small amount and work your way up untill you get it right..make sure there is only a small gap between tire and rim, to much and it wont close the gap.....It's not hard but if you are an idiot with hands on stuff and are not handy with tools and equipment, don't try this..SmokeRolls

Hmmm.... this reminds me of some of the stories my uncle used to tell. He used to be a driver/machinist for Banter Bros. Super Modified Tractor pulling team. This is how they seated beads sometimes. Then they would hook the air compressor up and let it go for a while. Which leads to a story of a friend of theirs (probably another pulling team) that went to town for lunch and forgot the compressor was hooked up. Came back and walked in the shop to be surprised by a very over-inflated tire. So one guy crawled across the floor to the air hose and cut it with his knife. A tire that big will do some serious damage.

Which leads to the next story.
Dad was cleaning up some trash around the farm one night and got tired of look at an old combine tire. So he told my brother to roll it out to the burn pile. ***I don't care what you think about this, its common practice on farms. If you don't like it complaining to me will do you no good*** Anyways, he then lit it the pile with a little used motor oil and they were watching. Well, dad look over and asked my brother if he took the valve stem out, he said no. So they decided to back up a little bit. Eventually the tire let go. He said it wasn't that impressive, just blew chunks of rubber up a few feet and blew a little trash out of the fire. He was quite disappointed. Pretty soon my cousin came over on his mule (he lives 1/2 mile across the field) and said WTH was that? Dad asked what, he honestly didn't even realize that he was referring to the tire. Well, my cousin said he was in his shop and felt and heard the building shake. My dad thought he was kidding; it was just a loud "puufffff" sound near the fire. Pretty soon the neighbor a mile north came down (he's a volunteer firefighter). He asked if everything was ok and what was going on. Dad was shocked said yeah, why? He said the FD is on their way, it was called in as an explosion with possible fire. Dad didn't want them to know it was a tire so he said it must've been a big aerosol can, and the neighbor called the FD off. But they came anyways. About 5 cop cars and 3 fire trucks came tearing in through the yard and driveway. The cops were douches about the whole thing (they must've been excited and thought they were going to catch somebody making a homemade bomb or something) and the firefighters were trying to put the fire out. Dad told them to leave because they'd been called off before they arrived and they weren't welcome there. One of the cops got snippy about it (he's a douche, even other officers say so) but it was all resolved.

To this day we can't figure out who it was. The nearest neighbor that was home is my cousin, and next to him is the County Prosecuting Attorney, but they didn't have clear view to even see that there was a fire so how they would've known is beyond me. They're just city-slickers that don't belong in the country anyways.

Sorry, I digress, story-time is over.

this can potentially damage the inside of the tire, i'd recommend you save it for the "emergency" situation... or if you're like me, for Sunday afternoon when all the shops are closed, lol.

I've done it, it's easy, just be careful. don't get your fingers anywhere near the bead, and don't set yourself on fire (unless your screen name is Lazy21).

Yehh I know but weez tryin ta edjercate da masses.....laugh..SmokeRolls

I used it on a distorted electric cart tire. I shot it with a burst of ether and stuck in an aim-flame. The tire popped up just high enough to grab the tip of the lighter and squash it under the now seated bead. I had to hammer the tire back off and try again from a distance. The wind blew away the fumes is the reason I had it so close...

I have heard no less than two dozen tires blow of all sizes. Truck tire zipper failures at 80psi is the worst. Truck tires with a break drum on fire causing the tire to heat and blow is also dramatic, especially when it had propane tanks on one side and batterys on the other. Parked into gas pumps when the first one blew. Guess who was dumb enough to try to contain the fire with multiple extinguishers. It is not something you want to hear or be near when it goes. I do know what its like to be shell shocked by a tire. Thats what 18 yrs of tire changing will for you.