• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"How to" modify the 29$ Ruger Gunsight polymer mags to work in a ACIS

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
the mags..
MAGAZINE, SCOUT RIFLE, 10-ROUND | Brownells

the work...
you will need a dremel and a sanding drum :)

modding them to work in a savage is different than a 700

in a savage, the front of the lips need cut back, or it will hit the bottom of the action.

in a remington, the front top needs cut down, or it will hit the feed ramp on the action

also, note with the polymer mags being thicker, the COL is limited to 2.82 max

the back and front needs to be sanded flat, remove the ribs

depending on your DBM, you may need to sand down the back sids as well to clear the stock

i took a "tad" more off than i needed, but no problems...

on the savage, you "may" need to bevel the top sides of the feed lips as well to clear the receiver.. not to much...

once done, it feeds quite well, and the plastic dont scratch your brass up...
i would probably run then at the range for 50 or so to make sure you dont have any feeding issues before using at a match..

Interesting, I'm pondering a DIY install of a PT&G DBM so I may play with this idea as well.

opeagle, any chance you tried it with the pt&b metal yet? I've been thinking of the same thing.

the ruger GSR metal mags work in the savage BA10 perfectically, no mod needed

Those are simply Ruger-branded AICS-pattern Accurate Mags...I have one and they do in fact work great.

word has it that Ruger is dropping the metal ones for the plastic ones.. so at 1/2 the price of the "unbranded ones" grab what you can. I found a few on ebay

Mine work flawlessly in the CdI bottom metal with no modification

Mine turned out great! Used a oval cutter to grind the plastic off and smoothed with a file. Fits a McCrees well.

Thanks!

I had attempted to make one work with my XC but had not found this thread. I had sanded down the sides and tried removing material from the feed lips. Looks like I removed the wrong material. I am going to have to try this method for sure.

To spare anyone the hassle, 10 round AICS mags do not work in a GSR. The GSR metal ones work in an AICS chassis, but not the reverse. I think it has to do with a latch over-stamped or something as I recall, but it took me about 15 minutes to yank that sucker out.

Just finished this little project and it seems to have worked out. We'll see how the function and fit are in a year or two of use to make final judgement, but for the time being I am pretty happy with results.