• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to pick a good Garand? CMP trip coming up!

Scott2K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2009
central NC
I'm going to CMP to buy a couple of Garands this week and a half dozen cans of ammo. Don't have any experience with Garands, but want to get a couple while I still can. Make good safe-mates for my FAL Stg. I want good shooters that will hold their value, maybe something I can add value to via re-parking, etc.

I know they have different grades and the Service Grade at $595 is probably as high as I am thinking about going for each, unless their is a good reason.

The Special Grade at $995 is new wood and barrel, but I don't know how good the barrel is or who made it. Is it worth a $400 premium?

Other questions:

Most seem to be Springfield Armory receivers. Any reason to pick another manufacturer?

Any problems to watch out for with mix and match parts?

I understand that they will check T.E. and M.E. for you. What else besides a sound stock and decent metal can I check for? I don't think they allow test firing...

Does anyone know if they have any .308 Garands (that's a long shot, I know, but caliber sprawl... the Navy had .308 Garands)

Advice from the assembled wisdom?

Thanks.

-Scott

Re: How to pick a good Garand? CMP trip coming up!

No .308's. Be sure to take a cleaning rod and a bore light. The new barrels are Criterion by Krieger, and are button rifled. They are standard contour to qualify for as-issued matches and are worth the premium, if you plan to compete. Barrel@$180+fit/chamber@$100+ and when you add the new wood there is your premium.

AG

They are pretty good at letting you know what is a good one while you are there. Ask them for what you are looking for and see what they can tell you.
You won't be upset.

You know the CMP was in Central NC in May, don't you? Tractor trailer full of Garands, carbines, stocks, barrels, and some ammo. Comes complete with a week of shooting said irons, as well.

AG in NC

Reasons to pick other receivers...some collectors like the rarer ones.

+1 on asking the CMP staff...they are the definition of customer service and will go out of their way to get you the best they can, depending on what you want.

Some things to think about before you go:

What are you looking for, a shooter...a historic example of a WWII service rile...a pristine heirloom to pass down?

If you're looking for a shooter, in addition to the muzzle and throat errosion, make sure the crown isn't f'd up and use a bore light to see if the rifling is worn down at the muzzle due to improper cleaning.

Pretty much all of the rifles in the service grade are going to be "mix masters," but that's no big deal if you're not trying to get a museum piece.

If you're looking for a neat exmaple of a WWII service rifle, you can still find WWII receivers and "lock bar" sights.

For the most part, don't pay attention to what the wood looks like. Ugly ducklings can shine with a little TLC. CMP site has TONS of info on stock restoration. Don't sweat the dirt, dings and scrapes too much...almost all of that will go away with restoration. Things to look for with the wood is how tight the trigger group locks up. Are there obvious cracks? Are the stamps / cartouches well struck?

If you don't want to take the time to do some restoration on the wood (and it'll take some effort and care to do it right) and want it to look like it is almost brand new, then the extra money for a select grade is worth it. Personally, I like the feeling of bringing back to life an old war horse. When you take it to the range you'll have good memories of the project.

Careful...you can't get just one. You might get away with only one this trip, but you'll be back.

Good luck!

Until you shoot it and then the 1903. Not the kinds of guns you want to shoot for lots of rounds (at least for me).
Great history, can't imagine guys shooting these round after round. I'd have to lean back over the back wall and hope.
If they could tell stories...
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a dumb question, but what is a CMP? Forgive my ignorance. </div></div>

http://www.odcmp.com/

HISTORY OF THE CMP. CMP history goes back to late 19th century efforts by U.S. military and political leaders to strengthen our country’s national defense capabilities by improving the rifle marksmanship skills of members of the Armed Forces. The CMP traces its direct lineage to 1903 when Congress and President Theodore Roosevelt established the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice (NBPRP) and the National Matches. From then until 1996, first the Department of War and later the Department of the Army managed the program that became known as the “civilian marksmanship program.” During this period, program objectives shifted from military marksmanship to training civilians who might serve in the military to developing youth through marksmanship training. In 1996, Congress acted again to establish the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearm Safety that now governs the CMP.

You should learn more about these great people.

Call before you go, The north store was out of service grades last I heard.

I feel the best thing would be to contact "Don is SC" & talk/pay him into meeting you there. What that man doesn't know about a Garand isn't worth knowing IMO. The guy can look at drawing numbers & know instantly whether it "goes" with the drawing numbers for the receiver or the rest of the rifle parts. Well worth the experience. Hint: He can be had for a good meal. I have bought several items from Don & have been more than happy with them all. He's not very pretty to look at but he's one of the best in the country on Garand's.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second 95LTZ on Don. Very nice man with a wealth of knowledge to be helpful. </div></div>
George is also a wealth of knowledge, I've made a few trips to the CMP, they have M.W. gauges to loan, you give them your drivers ID and they will loan you one. The lower the number the better bore, however don't be afraid of a 3+, some shoot very well. They don't have T.E. gauges to loan, cost of one to buy is around $50. Small bore light or a maglight is useful. There will be over 200 Garands on the floor, I start by dropping the MW gauge on all of them, pick 4-6 of the best from that, and start my closer inspection from that lot. Sometimes a customer will have a TE gauge and will be willing to gauge your picks, its a friendly shopping experience. original stock w/cartouches are a big plus and will add value. Matching barrel date to receiver date is a nice find. Low serial #'s are of interest. Have fun enjoy the trip. Post pic's when you return.

Always call them before you go. Their inventorey changes on a regular basis. What they are out of one day they have a ton of the next month.

I once bought six Garands, and 20,000 rounds of white box Lake City. A friend and I practiced all summer, and decided we were going to go to Camp Perry and teach those old timers a thing or two about shoting.Boy were we wrong. Some of those old grunts are incredible. When one of the shooters asked me where my rifle was, I told him I was afraid to bring them across state lines(they were in the trunk). I was not going to let him make a fol out of me.

But then after a time we decided to shut our mouths and listen to what those old timers had to say. I learned more about shooting that day than a person could believe. Those old timers know their sh**. Tom.

Darn you guys for bringing this up. I had about beat the fever.
frown.gif

My father-in-law (now deceased) and I used to talk about this great old rifle. He went ashore on Omaha Beach on D-Day +1 and came home after VE Day. He wouldn't talk much about the horror of war, but he still loved the rifle. Wish I could have let him shoot one again.

I'm pretty far away from the stores - most everyone get a pretty decent rifle by letting the CMP staff pick?

Re: How to pick a good Garand? CMP trip coming up

National Grarand champ at Camp Perry this year is a buddy of mine .... He doesnt even own a Garand and borrowed the one he shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would that be SPC Joseph Hein? </div></div>StSgt Johnathan O'neal it was in the Unlimited catergory. I dont remember if he shot in the sniper challenge or not that time you boys come down to shoot with us or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he did! With an M14 in a JAE-100 stock. </div></div>

Nope that was Walt...Jonathan shoots a freaking Mauser...yep a WWII Mauser lol