• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing How to remove a STUCK round?

Re: How to remove a STUCK round?

The various freons range from -10f to -30f coming out of the can. Other than
protection for your eyes, which you should already have on, they pose little danger.
Much colder than a freezer and direct liquid sprayed on the case head will cool it
much faster than it will the chamber and barrel around it. I think liquid propane
comes out even colder, a -40f is stuck in my head from my fueler days in Alaska.
So there are a few easy to acquire super quick coolers around. The round should
fall out with a tap on a wooden rod at those kind of temps.
Using a linear expansion coefficient of 19 for brass I come up with about a .005"
shrinking of a .470 diameter case dropping the temp from 21c to -28 c. That would
give over .0016" less in the diameter of the case. I'm kind of self taught at math
so maybe someone else can run the numbers too. Not so sure I am right.

I stuck a 223 round in my rifle, this is what my smith did he first removed barrel the he drilled a small hole in the case and then injectef penitrating oil and let it set over night ,then he milled the primer out and threaded the case head just like you can do to remove one from a reloading die and it came out very easy he has been a smith for about 50 years he said very few will go off when hammering them but that one is all it takes

Here's what I just got done doing with a stuck case in a DPMS 308...

Filled the bore with penetrating oil...let it sit for a while.

Attached .35 caliber bore mop to cleaning rod.

Pushed cleaning rod with attached .35 cal bore mop until it contacted the oil (I could feel where the bore mop got soaked in oil).

Have the wife hold the rifle still while I gave the cleaning rod 3 solid whacks with a 3lb hammer.

Watch stuck case come out the bottom.

The cleaning rod/.35 cal bore mop never came close to touching the cartridge. The hydraulic force is what caused the cartridge to come out. In this case, the bolt was NOT attached to the case head and was locked to the rear and held there with copious amounts of tape around the charging handle. If the bolt had been attached to the case head by means of the extractor, I would have done the "bang it on the ground until it either comes out or rips the rim off the case" method first.

I would have done the freezer trick, but my deep freeze isn't big enough to fit a rifle in.

I agree that the best method is preventing one of those bastards from getting stuck in the first place. I'll be FL sizing from now on...

I keep waiting for some crafty person, like Chad Dixon, to post up a picture of his blank muzzle brake with a grease zerk in the end of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep waiting for some crafty person, like Chad Dixon, to post up a picture of his blank muzzle brake with a grease zerk in the end of it. </div></div>

Thats friggin' genius!