• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to remove a STUCK round?

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
The rekindled thread concerning detonating a live, stuck round makes me wonder: how to do this safely?

People say "take it to a gunsmith"... well, whats the smith gonna do?

I have ever (once) had a STUCK round, and I ended up beating it out of the chamber with a 1/4" diameter piece of 4130. I was scared as hell to do it, but couldn't think of any better method.

So-how is it done without touching off the round and not damaging the rifle or barrel?

Re: How to remove a STUCK round?

Normally if I cannot get it out with a wooden dowel rod and some oil down the bore, I will put it in a deep freezer over night and then it comes out easy as pie.

Haha
laugh.gif

Beating on the BULLET end won't set off the cartridge.

We use a wooden dowel at the store, works every time, doesn't hurt anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha
laugh.gif

Beating on the BULLET end won't set off the cartridge.

We use a wooden dowel at the store, works every time, doesn't hurt anything. </div></div>

Doesn't seem like it could...but...I've read way too many accounts from too many respected folks here to discount the possibility. Bottom line is the compound inside a primer is VOLATILE stuff, and hammering on the cartridge they're seated in can cause MANY "Gs" of acceleration.

That said, a wooden dowel was NOT going to hande my stuck round. It was STUCK.

It might pay to be mindful of your environment....don't have the bolt in the gun with the pin dropped or send the round into a pile of lathe chips, etc. I have always wanted to use air in conjunction with the bolt extractor to see if it would work.....but thankfully have not encountered any for a long time.

I'd rather use a metal rod, just smaller than bore size, than a wood dowel. The wood could get jammed and split around the bullet. Air pressure could send the cartridge flying base first, so put some rags behind the chamber, bolt open.

I have personally seen a 5.56 round detonate when pounding on the bullet. Most of the powder was dumped out and the bcg was out of the gun. Bullet is wrapped around a rod, case head when shooting out the back of the upper, dented a tool box and landed 15 ft in front of the muzzle, guy doing the pounding had some nice powder burns on his hands.

Also do not use wood, it will splinter and swell then break off and you have a bigger mess.

When a round is stuck in your match gun or other expensive fine accuracy weapon you may find out why you should take it to a reputable Gunsmith.If I ever saw a employee doing some of the ham fisted antics described above I would hand them their pink slip.

Alrighty then, how does a gunsmith get a stuck live round out without beating on it from the muzzle end? Air pressure? Oil, grease, pixie dust?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When a round is stuck in your match gun or other expensive fine accuracy weapon you may find out why you should take it to a reputable Gunsmith.If I ever saw a employee doing some of the ham fisted antics described above I would hand them their pink slip. </div></div>

So what method DO you endorse?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a guy has a action wrench and a barrel vise he could unscrew the barrel. </div></div>

And once the barrel is off - then what?

Freezer trick will make a believer. Metal contracts in cold, put it in a freezer over night and let it get as cold as possible, then gently peck it, who knows the extractor may even work.
This trick has worked especially well for me with stubborn broken cases as well. Luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When a round is stuck in your match gun or other expensive fine accuracy weapon you may find out why you should take it to a reputable Gunsmith.If I ever saw a employee doing some of the ham fisted antics described above I would hand them their pink slip. </div></div>

Yah genius, I'm curious to hear what your specialty delicate gunsmith policy is too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> hammering on the cartridge they're seated in can cause MANY "Gs" of acceleration.
</div></div>

Ok, I'm a mechanical engineer, this one is beyond me.

If the bolt stripping a cartridge from the mag and slamming it into the chamber doesn't set the primer off with "MANY Gs", then why would a tap with a hammer/dowel do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> hammering on the cartridge they're seated in can cause MANY "Gs" of acceleration.
</div></div>

Ok, I'm a mechanical engineer, this one is beyond me.

If the bolt stripping a cartridge from the mag and slamming it into the chamber doesn't set the primer off with "MANY Gs", then why would a tap with a hammer/dowel do it?
</div></div>

A tap from a hammer won't touch it off. There again, a "tap" from a hammer wasn't going to remove my stuck round either. I had to seriously beat on it. A 1lb hammer being swung like you mean it has a ton of energy.

I dunno what touches them off. Maybe it's BS - but I sure have seen quite a few reports of it happening that seem legit.

I'm sure we can agree in several things:

1. The hammer has more than adequate energy and momentum to fire a primer.
2. The priming compound is highly volatile and reacts to being shocked/smashed.

Oh - the acceleration thing:

When the case is STUCK, and "one" with the barrel, you have a lot of mass to accelerate with the hammer, thus, not much acceleration of the barrel/action/cartridge. The instant the case frees from the barrel, you have far less mess and as such, far more acceleration.

^^this is simple physics... whether or not it explains the round firing is a whole different ball of wax.

Immediately, I think of the cartridges in the magazine of a 50bmg. They are subject to a lot of acceleration, and I don't think they just "go off".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a guy has a action wrench and a barrel vise he could unscrew the barrel. </div></div>

And once the barrel is off - then what? </div></div>

This http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a guy has a action wrench and a barrel vise he could unscrew the barrel. </div></div>

Chuck the barrel in the lathe and turn the casehead off....... with lots of coolant flowing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a guy has a action wrench and a barrel vise he could unscrew the barrel. </div></div>

Chuck the barrel in the lathe and turn the casehead off....... with lots of coolant flowing. </div></div>

Great. Then what? Now you've got a brass tube stuck in the chamber.

I think the detonation in atleast the case that I witnesses was either from the powder being compressed excessively or some powder was forced through the flash hole and caused the primer detonation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a guy has a action wrench and a barrel vise he could unscrew the barrel. </div></div>

Chuck the barrel in the lathe and turn the casehead off....... with lots of coolant flowing. </div></div>

Great. Then what? Now you've got a brass tube stuck in the chamber. </div></div>

After the tension from the casehead is removed, the casebody usually falls out or at the very most you use a broken case extractor to pop it out.

If the case is stuck in so hard these don't work (like in a case overload) then machine out the case, set the barrel back and rechamber.

A can of freon will super cool the case and primer quickly and leave the barrel full diameter. Grease is highly flammable, not a good idea, but I understand the train
of thought to hydraulic it out. Some Silikroil down the tube before anything.

i use the old wooden dowel trick, but the freon can sound like i will try that next time. the dowels some times split

I'm pretty touchy about primers going off. I'm wearing one 3" deep and 6" to the right of the entry point. It was from a screw up with an empth 50 BMG case and a bad case of dumb ass. I say using oil and a tight fitting rubber plug that well act as a hydralic ram on stuck cartridge. Of course remove the bolt first. To remove a stuck case in my 50 BMG I use a freeze proof faucet center rod with the brass top. I have mine machined with a taper to fit a bullet in case of a stuck round and it fits down in the case if the case is only stuck. The brass end protects the bore from any damage. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freezer trick will make a believer. Metal contracts in cold, put it in a freezer over night and let it get as cold as possible, then gently peck it, who knows the extractor may even work.
This trick has worked especially well for me with stubborn broken cases as well. Luck to you.</div></div>

Any airsoft shooters here? I use them for training new shooters.

How about some CFC-32 down the bore? The brass should contract a heck of a lot more and faster than the steel will react, and the combination of the two should deliver that round like babies popping out of illegal alien moms in an LA emergency room.

OK on the detonation by hammering the round with a rod. When hammering the projectile into the case it can pressurise the powder allowing it to flow through the flash hole and pressurise the anvil in the primer this pressure CAN detonate the cartrige. if you have a round loose enough that a wodded dowel will remove it you wont be likley to detonate a round. but a steel rod can detonate a round easily. we have had a few occasians where we had rifles delivered with jammed cases. we remove the barrels and then try to use cold to remove it but you have some people that have a stuck case so they hammer it in further. on one occasion we parted the back of the barrel off well in front of the case head you dont want to machine the primer or it might detonate it then the rear of the case with primer was seperated from the round making it safe. another time it was a very expensive rifle so with a small drill bit the case was drilled through the rim into the powder column slowly with heaps of WD40 with the barrel removed. once the hole was into the case the case was flushed to remove the powder with the tube on the WD40 can. this removes the powder and deactivates the primer. then you can drill and tap the base of the case like you do with a stuck case extractor for a die set. it was drilled to 1/4" and then a bush was placed on the rear and a bolt screwed into it removing the case from the chamber without damage to the bore. the hairy part is disarming the live round so safety is paramount have no one there that does not have to be and make sure you have eyes and face well protected if you ever attempt it. i would not reccomend it to anyone without the correct equiptment and knowlidge but hammering a steel rod down a match barrel is just going to kill the barrel you are better having 1/2" cut of the back and getting the barrel rechambered as you will just end up with a lighter pocket and a 1/2" shorter barrel and it will still be accurate.

Sometimes mistakes are going to cost but a rechamber is cheeper than a new barrel because you hammered a steel rod down it or the cartrige detonated and hurt you.

Ugh. . .

Primers detonate as a result of shock from the crush between cup/anvil. The mixture doesn't spontaniously ignite from a dowel/rod being beaten against the bullet (meaning sudden impact delivered on the cartridge from a location other than the primer). Doubt it? If I'm wrong then I guess every m249 saw belt, m240 belt, and 50bmg belt must spontaniously explode while driving down route Irish between the Green Zone and BIAP. Anyone who's been ther knows exactly what I mean. By that logic every gun with a magazine is suseptable to spontanius ignition due to recoil. I'll go one better. Who's seen an AR/AK sneeze and puke its guts through the mag well? After cleaning your shorts what happens? After picking up your dignity you also pick up all the ammo that got ejaculated all over the firing line. Point is the bomb went off already. Now its just parts and pieces. Not more bombs.

If the case is really that stuck then your going to stuff the bullet down the neck anyway. Now its resting against powder which will act like a shock absorber, further reducing the delivered energy to the case and onto the primer. Nevermind that 99% of bullets used here are either lead and/or copper-which are both about as hard as a nice ripe booger. Further reducing delivered energy.

All of the components are non ferrous so rogue sparks are out on this one too. I guess that leaves static or alien psychokinetic mischief. Maybe its possible with steel cases and a steel rod, but I find it highly unlikely.

If your that worried about it and don't look forward to the little womans response when she finds gun parts next to the corndogs (instant death in my house) then maybe try this:

First, try to close the bolt and smoke the dern thing into the dirt.

If that don't work consider this:

Fill your barrel with a light oil such as ATF/WD40/Marvel oil. Insert a jag/patch with a threaded rod made of something softer than barrel steel. Get out your whakkah and have at it. Can't compress a fluid so something will give. It has to. Oil will get stuffed between the case/chamber and this will grease the skids. Round breaks loose and poops from the breach. Life goes on.

Don't forget your tinfoil hat and make sure you watch the next MythBusters.

C.

Years ago I stuck a bullet in the bore, no powder. Used a brass rod and pounded the hell out of it, no move. Used some WD-40 and let sit for 10 min and one lite tap and out it came. Need the lub in there.

I have pressed many sled clutches off using oil or grease under a bolt. The clutches are pulled onto a taper with no key and hold to better than 400 hp. A bit of oil or grease and some teflon on a bolt and off they come. I just can't imagine a case stuck so bad that it could not by pressed out hydrauliclly with ease.

The freezer is probably the safest method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still no answers ...... so what is the "Gun Smith Approved" method. I bet the smiths don't want us to know they just hammer it out with a cleaning rod ..... LOL.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ugh. . .

Primers detonate as a result of shock from the crush between cup/anvil. The mixture doesn't spontaniously ignite from a dowel/rod being beaten against the bullet (meaning sudden impact delivered on the cartridge from a location other than the primer). Doubt it? If I'm wrong then I guess every m249 saw belt, m240 belt, and 50bmg belt must spontaniously explode while driving down route Irish between the Green Zone and BIAP. Anyone who's been ther knows exactly what I mean. By that logic every gun with a magazine is suseptable to spontanius ignition due to recoil. I'll go one better. Who's seen an AR/AK sneeze and puke its guts through the mag well? After cleaning your shorts what happens? After picking up your dignity you also pick up all the ammo that got ejaculated all over the firing line. Point is the bomb went off already. Now its just parts and pieces. Not more bombs.

If the case is really that stuck then your going to stuff the bullet down the neck anyway. Now its resting against powder which will act like a shock absorber, further reducing the delivered energy to the case and onto the primer. Nevermind that 99% of bullets used here are either lead and/or copper-which are both about as hard as a nice ripe booger. Further reducing delivered energy.

All of the components are non ferrous so rogue sparks are out on this one too. I guess that leaves static or alien psychokinetic mischief. Maybe its possible with steel cases and a steel rod, but I find it highly unlikely.

If your that worried about it and don't look forward to the little womans response when she finds gun parts next to the corndogs (instant death in my house) then maybe try this:

First, try to close the bolt and smoke the dern thing into the dirt.

If that don't work consider this:

Fill your barrel with a light oil such as ATF/WD40/Marvel oil. Insert a jag/patch with a threaded rod made of something softer than barrel steel. Get out your whakkah and have at it. Can't compress a fluid so something will give. It has to. Oil will get stuffed between the case/chamber and this will grease the skids. Round breaks loose and poops from the breach. Life goes on.

Don't forget your tinfoil hat and make sure you watch the next MythBusters.

C.</div></div>

i have a question to Chad how would you hammer a 20X47 Lapua case out that was stuck?

The issue was a match chamber and a shooter that did not lube cases and galled them the cases had swelled from shooting a lot of over pressure loads and then bumped the shoulder back to far with a full length sizing die just sizing with the shell holder hitting the die there was also a fold on the neck of the case where he hit the expander while sizing and then seated the projectile in the case. So the guy chambered the case and it got stuck so he tried to hammer the round all the way in it went further into the chamber but not far enough to cam the bolt shut. So then he hammered the bolt open and tore the rim off.

How would you hammer this live cartrige out of a barrel that has a 20 cal bore? please explain how you would do this without further damaging the bore or chamber?

I have seen a lot of barrels ruined with people hammering things back down them to remove stuck objects sometimes there is an easier way to remove the stuck object. one time a guy snapped a bore snake off the baking oven fixed that after he hammered it into a tight wad with a cleaning rod but his hammering had already ruined the bore and crown.

A customer came in with a 7x57r drilling, where he had a 6,5x55 round stuck.
The 6,5brass is almost ,01" wider than 7x57.
I drilled à hole from rear besides the primer and took the powder out.
Filled the case with WD40 to destroy the primer, after some houres I took out the primer and drilled up the hole and threaded it to M8.
Installed a long screw and heavy loose weigth on the screw to HAMMER with, and then hammered reverse out the case.
Worked great and took some houres.
Håkan

Well first off, I would recock and attempt to fire it a bunch of times before I did anything else. Just make danged sure the bore isn't blocked first. By the time that has utterly failed, I seriously doubt anything else I might try will set it off. If it does fire, that might also dislodge the case.

Next, I'd hotfoot it down to the paint store and pick up a paint can opener. It looks like a heavy wire skate lace hook with small right angle hook at the working end. Stick the working end into the bolt lug recess, engage the hook against the case rim and pull hard.

I used this when blown primers were demolishing my extractor(s). BTW, make sure your extractor isn't damaged and causing part of the problem.

If that doesn't get it, C. Dixon's advice makes good sense to me.

Keep that hook handy at the range, too.

Greg

I'm still having a problem understanding why (excepting autoloaders) people try to force a round into a chamber to begin with. ????

If it ain't goin' in easy, it ain't gonna come out easy...

Don't try to force the darn thing in there.

One "shouldn't" have problems with factory ammo if they meet SAAMI specs. Don't force it into the chamber.

If you load your own, what step (or steps) are you missing to cause the cartridge(s) to be so far out of spec? Don't force it into the chamber.

If you are shooting an AR or other autoloader, and you have an out of spec cartridge, the bolt carrier group could cause the round to get stuck. Don't use that stupid forward assist bullshit. Take the round out and clean your gun. If the round still won't chamber DON'T FORCE IT IN.....

ONE COMMON THEME HERE IS MOST EVERYONE THAT IS GIVING ADVICE ON HOW TO REMOVE A STUCK CARTRIDGE ADMITS TO TRYING TO FORCE IT IN.

THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A BIT....

Still no answer. What do gunsmiths do? I know there are smiths on the site. Had a friend stick a .300 WM in a Ruger 77. Tried to beat it out with a steel cleaning rod. Bolt was open and the thing detonated on him while he was beating on it. Burned his fingers pretty good. I don't know the answer and still don't. I think the freezer method sounds the best. Any smiths??
People say "take it to a gunsmith"... well, whats the smith gonna do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still having a problem understanding why (excepting autoloaders) people try to force a round into a chamber to begin with. ????</div></div>

Never overestimate the depth of the gene pool that some folks swim around in.

Guns in America are a birth right and I'll never say a negative thing about that. However sometimes folks should accept that not everyone can be an Shuttle Mission Commander.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I told you what'd I do and I'm a smith on this site. </div></div> There you go. Answer to the question. I hope I never get one stuck. My fault Chad I overlooked your response. Never said I was smart. Guess that proves it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Never overestimate the depth of the gene pool that some folks swim around in.

Guns in America are a birth right and I'll never say a negative thing about that. However sometimes folks should accept that not everyone can be an Shuttle Mission Commander.</div></div>

Idiocracy becomes more than just a movie everyday buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still having a problem understanding why (excepting autoloaders) people try to force a round into a chamber to begin with. ????

If it ain't goin' in easy, it ain't gonna come out easy...

Don't try to force the darn thing in there.

One "shouldn't" have problems with factory ammo if they meet SAAMI specs. Don't force it into the chamber.

If you load your own, what step (or steps) are you missing to cause the cartridge(s) to be so far out of spec? Don't force it into the chamber.

If you are shooting an AR or other autoloader, and you have an out of spec cartridge, the bolt carrier group could cause the round to get stuck. Don't use that stupid forward assist bullshit. Take the round out and clean your gun. If the round still won't chamber DON'T FORCE IT IN.....

ONE COMMON THEME HERE IS MOST EVERYONE THAT IS GIVING ADVICE ON HOW TO REMOVE A STUCK CARTRIDGE ADMITS TO TRYING TO FORCE IT IN.

THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A BIT.... </div></div>

I'm not stupid, but I've had a stuck round. I freely admit trying to force it. I learned my lesson - you're advice is good...if it won't go easy, don't force it.

Why did I force it? Because most rifle cases have a taper, they lead-in nicely. Sometimes it feels as if just a **little** more and it'll be ok. Not defending it-but it's an easy thought to have. What if you're shooting a match, and fgetting that round into battery and firing it is the difference between scoring and not? That's some powerful motivation to push a little harder. What if people are shooting at you? You're going to stop, clean your chamber and try again?
My opinion is anyone who shoots under pressure; time, battle, etc etc, is probably going to stick a round sooner than later.

Once you do it once though, you have a better "feel", and probably won't stick it so bad next time.

First,

Experienced competitive shooters bring extra ammunition and they test chamber each piece prior to the match.

Second,

Immediate action drills exist for a reason. TAP RACK BANG summarizes this pretty well.

Third,

1st Echelon Preventative Maintenance exists in the Military/security/LE sector for a reason. The intent is to mitigate the chances of experiencing a failure to chamber/extract a cartridge. Also: This is why these organizations/agencies use commercially supplied components rather than custom chambers and reloads. The likelihood of such failure(s) decreases. Netting Improved reliability with an acceptable reduction in performance (accuracy potential)

Loudest sound in a gunfight is still "click".

C.

Good points, Chad, but I contend that regardless of factory ammo, NATO chambers, chamber test fits, etc etc, a bit of debris or trash in tge chamber or on the ammo, or a fouled chamber can cause a stuck round.

I still believe damn near anyone that shoots under pressure is gonna stick one sooner or later.

I think the best defense is what you mentioned about immediate action drills along with training and experience. Since the time I stuck one good, a couple times I *coulda* stuck one, but because I'd stuck one before, simply snatched the offending cartridge out and tried another.

Turbo,
definitely not calling you or anyone else an idiot. Hell, I've had my hare of awww shit moments. I've had some rounds a bit snug going in and a few just as snug coming out. I've also never had anyone shooting at me with intent to kill me. A bonus of being in aircraft maintenance on long range B-1B aircraft.

I have the utmost respect for those that have been through that type of combat or Police duty.

My match shooting is limited to short range Benchrest, Varmint for score and some egg and paper varmint matches. Like Chad said, test each round for function before the match and you eliminate that issue. Dirt and other things are something else.

I once stuck a 65gr Watson in my barrel because of an unplanned ceasefire. Had to change guns because of all the powder in the locking lug recess area. The brass came out very easy, but since I was shooting jammed into the rifling, the bullet stayed put. Lesson learned and I retuned the gun with the bullet just touching the lands.

When I lived in Rapid City, I could just go into the Hills and shoot. I always fely very safe doing so. After retiring from the AF in '04, I am now forced to shoot at public ranges. Some of the things I see at the range scare the hell out of me. Last time I was there I watched a guy use a soft mallet to close his bolt on a round. I warned him of the possible danger and backed up 30' directly behind him. That lucky sumbich got the bolt open with two fingers. For the life of me I can't see how it happened, but it did. I told the RO about the guy and he made him put that gun away. I haven't been shooting for almost two months because I hate public ranges. I know I'm a bit off topic with this paragraph, so Back to the stuck round discussion...

Both Spuhr and i did exactly the same thig and are both Sniths and on this board.

So chad how would you hammer a 20X47 live round out? you fail to answer it because with your method you can not do it.

People do stupid shit every day and then others have to fix it. Hammering on any live round is dangerous and could cause injury Period. I have a lot of ballistic knowlidge and grew up being driven around in amilitary bomb disposal 4x4 my father used to get called out to disarm suspected bombs he was an ammunition technition officer in the Australian army and before the police had trained personell he got the call. also part of his job was disarming large and small arms the most dangerous part of a small arms round is the primer and if you place stresses on the primer fron compression by the powder or by compression externaly on the cup it can detonate period.

Chad i respect you as a machinist your work is always outstanding that is why i am woried in your response about hammering a softer rod that the barrel down the bore??

If you get a piece of brass rod and then hammer it into alluminium both the brass and alloy will be deformed even though one is softer than the other. all the time you take to make sure your machining is perfect and then your attention to detail on the finishing of the project does not alighn with your reccomended procedure.

It also has to be noted that a larger calibre might be easier to remove a stuck round in this fassion but damage could still occour. but get down to a 17 or 20 cal and you cant just hammer that round out.

I agree that hydraulic pressure would be worth a go if you had a rifle with a threaded brake on it you could machine an adapter up and pressureise the barrel with liquid but if that round came out and struck the primer on a hard object it could detonate out of the chamber so the way i mentioned and Spuhr did aswell is the ONLY SAFE way to do it i am sorry but there has even been a person here say he saw one blow up being hammered and the pics of the rifle were posted a long time ago on this site.

Please dont ever hammer a round out of your barrel and if you take it to a smith and they say this is wnat they are going to do take it somewhere else.

As for the paint tin tool it is a good option if you have removed the barrel and the case is not stuck to badly i have had rounds with the rims torn off after the customer tried that with a screwdriver so it wont always work but it is a lot safer than a hammer and is it does not work disarm the round then drill and tap the case and wind it out with a tool like RCBS sells to remove stuck cases from dies.

On a side noth there are people that also hammer stuck cases from dies and do all sorts of damage even though there is a tool to fix the problem without getting out that trusty hammer.

The best thing to do is not get one stuck in the first place. buy a wilson guage or get your smith to make you a short chamber gauge with the reamer he used for your rifle but sometimes people do stupid shit and if the case gets tight they try to hammer it in harder and then the problem accours when the bolt wont close if you can close it and fire it at worst you will have a fired case jammed in there not a live one.