• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns How to remove carbon from a Smith & Wesson?

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Picked up a new Stainless 686 .357, and put 150 rounds through it. Love the gun, but I've never seen such a mother*&@#*! when it comes to cleaning.

Broke out the Scotch-Brite pad I use to clean AR bolts with (soaked in Hoppes No. 9), and had to scrub the hell out of the front of the cylinder and the inside of the frame. Have some carbon marks on the frame below and to the sides of the forcing cone, and I'll be damned if I can get them off.

I've never had such difficulty with a simple cleaning. Is there some product that I should be using or a cleaning trick for stainess that I'm not aware of?

Re: How to remove carbon from a Smith & Wesson?

Birchwood Casey "lead remover cloth" is the only product I've found that WILL remove every last bit of the shit on the front of a revolver cylinder.

It does not go away fast, but doesn't require hard scrubbing...just light constant rubbing.

I bought a 1970s vintage model 66 that had probably never been cleaned. I rubbed on it for a couple hours while watching a movie, and it turned out flawless.

Oh...

Keep the scotchbrite AWAY from your guns!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Birchwood Casey "lead remover cloth" is the only product I've found that WILL remove every last bit of the shit on the front of a revolver cylinder.

It does not go away fast, but doesn't require hard scrubbing...just light constant rubbing.

I bought a 1970s vintage model 66 that had probably never been cleaned. I rubbed on it for a couple hours while watching a movie, and it turned out flawless. </div></div>

Thanks! Have 3 of 'em on order.

I had decent luck with hot water, dawn dish soap, and a stiff brissle tooth brush, but it requires you to thuroughly remove all water from the internals before oiling and storage. Forcing cone took a while though, maybe a more aggressive brush?

I've been using a stainless steel bristled brush. Maybe I should try one of those Birchwood rags.

I have the same pistol and clean mine with a bronze brush loaded with Hoppes. I rinse the brush after cleaning with water.

db,

It seems no one has ever used the very best product on the planet to gently wipe this kind of residue away, Kleen Bore Lead Away. You will be astonished...no brushes, no harsh chemicals, no change in stainless finish. Just gone. Cylinder carbon rings? gone Small space around the barrel chamber as it exits the frame? done. Think your barrel is clean? Send one of these down using a bore mop head (loose, not a metal brush..not needed) and look what you left behind. That is lead...don't suck on the patches when done.

You are done now and on to your next problem.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/KleenBor...CFQJx4AodTxQA-Q

Let us know what you think.

P.S. The only thing left for Hoppes is to be used as an example of the way folks "used to do it." Anything that Hoppes could actually do and everything that Hoppes could never do...all done by a host of other new products (post 70's) that does it infinitely better. Like WD40 its ok to throw stuff out now.

This method has worked for me very well. It's also cheap to do.

I take off the grips and drop it in an US bath with sweep cycle and 40 degree C temp
10 minutes later ist is completely clean on every surface. Only need to lube it.

I shot thousands of rounds from a Ruger SRH .44 Mag. What worked best for ME was a product by Hoppes called "Hoppes Elite" in a pump mist bottle. Spray on let soak and then scrub with a BRASS(!!!!!!) not stainless (OMG scratched ass gun) brush. Then wipe with a rag. It takes some work but will come clean. You will never completely remove burn rings on front of chambers on cylinder. You can get them pretty damn clean but will still be able to see it in the right light. Good pickup on the 686 very nice piece. It will serve you well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k20350</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....You can get them pretty damn clean but will still be able to see it in the right light....</div></div>

Then you're using the wrong product.

Re-read my post above and pay attention to the part that reads "every last bit". I wasn't exaggerating.

I use KG1 Carbon remover. Thier products seem to work a bit better than most. I will wet a patch and leave it in the gun for a few mins. It makes short work of a painful task

I always used Happich Simichrome polish to remove carbon from the cylinder face on my S&W 65 and 681 duty guns in the late 70s / early 80s. Worked well. Don't know if they still make it. A little goes goes a long way.

you can make a stainless gun look nickel with Simichrome. REALLY shiny.

Birchwood Casey "lead remover cloth" is the only product I've found that WILL remove every last bit of the shit on the front of a revolver cylinder.

I bought a 1970s vintage model 66 that had probably never been cleaned. I rubbed on it for a couple hours while watching a movie, and it turned out flawless.

I need to order some, my Taurus is an absolute swine to get clean. Does anyone know if the midway equivalent is any good just in case I can't get hold of the Birchwood Casey?