• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing How to smoothen bolt up?

Møønlight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Colorado
What's out there I can use "Lube?" or any other option's I can use to smoothen up my bolted action? It seems a bit sticky and it's pretty tight.

Any insight sire will be appreciated.
Thanks much,
-Ms

Re: How to smoothen bolt up?

A film of grease on the back of the lugs and on the cocking cam.

Shoot it.

Once you hit about 1,000 rounds it will start to feel great.

Slather it with oil and cycle it a couple thousand times. Wipe off, reapply and repeat. Should smooth up. Even better if you're doing dryfire practice.

But BE CAREFULL!!!!!! once you get it smooth and lapped in some of the cerrakote may be missing and you might have some shineyspots on the bolt
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robar NP3 or Microslick coatings </div></div>

This is what I was inquiring more about. I have heard of both. Heard real good things about the microslick.

Thanks a million for all the good advice.
-Ms

I use Brian Enos' Slide Guide on the lugs and contact point in the action. Feels really nice and smooth.

I would just shoot it as is. Is it really that much of a hassle to add a few extra ounces to the effort? I never even noticed any binding or sluggishness on mine until later down the road realizing that the bolt would slide back if you tilted the rifle back with the bolt open.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robar NP3 or Microslick coatings </div></div>

This is what I was inquiring more about. I have heard of both. Heard real good things about the microslick.

-Ms</div></div>
There is no shortcut to honest wearing in... whether it be blue jeans, boots, pistols or rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robar NP3 or Microslick coatings </div></div>

-Ms</div></div>
There is no shortcut to honest wearing in... whether it be blue jeans, boots, pistols or rifles. </div></div>

Ok, so I will run it a few thousand times after coating and than add w/e lub. I choose to go with
smile.gif

That sound about right? Or perhaps just lub it?
Thanks again,
-Ms

what action and what finish is on it? what is not smooth about it? lifting/closing the bolt? cycling the bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what action and what finish is on it? what is not smooth about it? lifting/closing the bolt? cycling the bolt? </div></div>

Hi 300sniper,

It's not that it's not smooth so much; I just want it to be a little bit smoother. I have to run it atleast another 500x before I will notice anything. My inquiory is just to smoothen it up some more.

-Ms

all bull stuff aside, I use a dry case lube and it works for me. Spray it over the whole bolt and when it drys, use it.

i spray my receivers and bolts with norrell's moly-resin and run the bolt body clean and dry. i put a small dab of grease on the rear of the lugs and keep the shroud threads greased. that's it and my bolts cycle plenty smooth and wear very well.

^^ I'm with 300, grease the shroud. I disassembled my bolt last year, cleaned and oiled it. Then it started to gall, made lifting a pain. Took it apart, stoned the cocking cam surface and greased the crap out of it. Lift is smooth as butter again. I put a dab of grease on the cam whenever I clean the rifle.

I use light oil on the bolt body.

before you send it out to be coated with NP3 (or similar) run it through a couple thousand cycles. Once you NP3 coat it, it will seal in any burrs and will take even longer to wear in. NP3 is an awesome coating, but it is very wear resistant, so make sure its slick before you coat it!!

if it is really gritty you can put a couple dabs of lapping compound on the lugs and run it back and forth in the raceway and twist it in and out of the breech a few dozen times, then be sure to clean all the compound out, re lube and it should be much smoother. The lapping compound will remove any burrs and machine marks that are rubbing against the bolt. Don't do it too much with the compound as it will take off more material faster then you think and then you will have a loose bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I will run it a few thousand times after coating and than add w/e lub. I choose to go with
smile.gif

That sound about right? Or perhaps just lub it?
Thanks again,
-Ms </div></div>

Actually, you would do better to run it a few thousand rounds BEFORE coating it.
Many fancy metal processes will harden the surface so it never wears-in like it would if left alone.
Once you get it good and smooth with use, THEN put a hard surface on the parts so they stay that way.