• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to "Work up a load"?

Knawx

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2014
I understand that it is extremely recommended to "work" up loads when reloading. I am new to reloading and just want to see if anyone can clarify what "working up" would be defined as?

Would I take the low average of multiple sources of a load and then back that off 2 grains, 5 grains perhaps?

I just want to be as safe and efficient as possible. Any information on clarifying this for me will be greatly appreciated!

What are you working up a load for? For pistols? For plinking? For precision long range? That info would help. I start with the lowest charge and work up by 0.7-1%. So say if the load states 40.0-46.0 grains, i would start with 40.0 grains and work up looking for pressure signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are you working up a load for? For pistols? For plinking? For precision long range? That info would help. I start with the lowest charge and work up by 0.7-1%. So say if the load states 40.0-46.0 grains, i would start with 40.0 grains and work up looking for pressure signs.

That's great to know. I am working on a 300 win mag load for long range precision out to 1000 yards. I am using the Hornady A-Max 208GR Bullets. The powder I'm using is Winchester 780 Supreme.

Start with something like this--->>> https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/reloading-manual/index.cfm

Get a couple different ones as most have really good info in them, then read all of the reloading sticky's on this site.

Then maybe go here ---->>> OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System and read everything.

Come back after all of that and give some specifics and you'll get more help than you know what to do with.

Okay, thank you for the resources!

How to "Work up a load"?

Agree with above. I use the OCW for long range work up.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com

Besides getting a couple of manuls, don't forget to take a look at the powder manufacturers website for load data. I routinely consult a couple of manuals plus the powders sites and go from there.

So given your components (with my available resources), I would consult my Hornday manual, Lee manual, and go to Hodgdon's website.

Last edited:
Another vote for OCW.

And get a few reloading manuals. And find some pictures to learn the over pressure signs. What is safe on one firearm is not necessarily safe in a different one.

Use OCW or ladder test to find an accurate load for your rifle.
Seems like ladder testing is losing favor to OCW these days, though.
Directions for doing either test are easily enough found with a Google search.
It's also imperative that you determine the maximum for your chamber/brass/primer/powder combination.
I do this at the same time I'm running the OCW, but it can be done beforehand in a separate test.
Doing it during the OCW saves time, components, and a little barrel wear...

I start at book minimum and load 3 each in .2 gr increments for .223 like case capacities, .3 gr for .308 like capacities, and .4 gr for .300 WM like case capacities.

I write the charge on each case, in case the ammo box falls over over or some other calamity (stupidity?) mixes them up.

I load up to and beyond the book max by 2 loads, in case my chamber is especially tolerant (long throat, etc.).

I am inspecting every case (well, maybe not the cases at book minimum or thereabouts) after firing, looking for first primers flattening and cratering, then ejector swipes, and monitoring for other signs like difficult bolt lift, etc.

I might not even make it to book max before I declare my max charge, or I might end up shooting everything up to and including 2 loads above book max safely.

When I'm done I have my max charge and OCW results.

Last edited:
Use OCW or ladder test to find an accurate load for your rifle.
Seems like ladder testing is losing favor to OCW these days, though.
Directions for doing either test are easily enough found with a Google search.
It's also imperative that you determine the maximum for your chamber/brass/primer/powder combination.
I do this at the same time I'm running the OCW, but it can be done beforehand in a separate test.
Doing it during the OCW saves time, components, and a little barrel wear...

I start at book minimum and load 3 each in .2 gr increments for .223 like case capacities, .3 gr for .308 like capacities, and .4 gr for .300 WM like case capacities.

I write the charge on each case, in case the ammo box falls over over or some other calamity (stupidity?) mixes them up.

I load up to and beyond the book max by 2 loads, in case my chamber is especially tolerant (long throat, etc.).

I am inspecting every case (well, maybe not the cases at book minimum or thereabouts) after firing, looking for first primers flattening and cratering, then ejector swipes, and monitoring for other signs like difficult bolt lift, etc.

I might not even make it to book max before I declare my max charge, or I might end up shooting everything up to and including 2 loads above book max safely.

When I'm done I have my max charge and OCW results.

I'm more of a separate test guy but have done it both ways. Either gets you the same results, delixe's way is a little faster. I do a separate test for pressure signs by loading only one round of each charge weight starting a little less than minimum and increasing the charge weights by .2 -.3 grains until reaching max. I then load another round, using the same increment, over max for this test. I shoot each round, one at a time, starting with the lowest charge and inspect each case very carefully looking for pressure signs. If I see signs before shooting all of my test rounds, I have very few to break down. Knowing where my max is, I now load for the OCW and move forward without worrying about pressure or an excessive number of rounds to break down. I'll sometimes chrono these loads just to get an idea of where they're at but usually wait until I've concluded the OCW. Once I've decided upon a load, I load up 10-20 rounds to verify and chrono at that time to get velocities and check ES and SD.

Hope this helps...Sig Marine

I buy factory ammo and shoot for groups, once I find the best one, I duplicate at the reloading bench. easy enough.
cheers.