• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HOWA 1500 .223 REM Chamber Dimensions Different Between Barrel Profiles

BlindSpider

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Relatively new shooter here, I've got a Howa 1500 in 223 short action, Varmint profile, 1 in 8'. I've spoken to another bloke who's wife has a M1500 with the sporter barrel she shoots out to 1000m. His reloads CBTO are 1.991' with a .005' jump to lands. Mine are 1.900 with a larger jump than his.

My issue is that I'm already starting to crunch powder with the 73gr 75gr projectiles I'm using and 23.5gr of AR2208. Am I right in thinking the difference in chambers is because Howa is expecting me to use a lighter projectile for *varminting*, compared to the sporter barrel.

From what I understand, I'll need to get a gunsmith to increase the freebore. Does anybody have any recommendations for a 223 chamber freebore with heavier projectiles, my plan was to seat CBTO to 2'. Is that sound unreasonable for a 75gr projectile? What should I be working with in terms of jump to lands?

Cheers

What kind of velocities and accuracy are you getting with your current load?
No idea with velocities, have no way to measure. but after putting a proper stock on, I'm getting 5 shot groups sub MOA. The best 4 of those are easily .5", with some being cloverleaf/one hole.

What kind of velocities and accuracy are you getting with your current load?
20220211_011400.jpg

Good to know, is it marked on the barrel? Always a struggle to figure that out with other brands besides Tikka. At least its not easy to find immediate confirmation of the twist rate.

Good to know, is it marked on the barrel? Always a struggle to figure that out with other brands besides Tikka. At least its not easy to find immediate confirmation of the twist rate.
I was actually expecting a 1:10 twist when I ordered it, wherever I found online said 1:10. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up.

Howa makes a 1:8 twist 223?
Yes, I have a mini Howa in 223 with a 1:8 twist heavy. It's a pretty good shooter, just under MOA.

I don't know how the bigger 1500 is but if you load anything beyond normal 223 pressures, it has a hard time extracting cases.