• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 vs bergara HMR

I would probably go Howa and put it in the stock I want or wait for the Howa's in the KRG Bravo stocks to be available.

I have decided to buy the scope you recommended. Would you suggest a direct mount or a picatinny style rail under? How do you determine the high/med/low for the rings? Anything else you would suggest? Thanks again for you insight.
Picatinny rail with 20 MOA of cant with quality rings, no question. A direct mount (I assume you mean a one-piece ring/base combo that bolts directly to the receiver) leaves much to be desired in flexibility.

As far as ring height goes, there's a sticky post in the optics subforum that explains how to figure it out.

I have decided to buy the scope you recommended. Would you suggest a direct mount or a picatinny style rail under? How do you determine the high/med/low for the rings? Anything else you would suggest? Thanks again for you insight.

I have the HMR w/Warne 20moa base and SHV 4-14x50 with Tenebraex covers. It’s mounted in NF ultralight low rings (0.885 IIRC) and just clears everything. I do have the front Tenebraex cover opening to the side - if it were to open vertically there is a small tab on the bottom of the cover (used to flip it open) that wouldn’t quite clear.

FWIW I purchased this gun used with 350 rd count and previous owner made a point to tell me the base had been “properly torqued to specs when installed”. I’ve put another 80 or so through it and it hasn’t come loose, but given the issues some have had now I know to check it.

+1 for the Howa actions. I have a Howa barreled action here that I sold my brother before shooting. After bedding it in a manners for him it has
shot multiple groups under 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards with Fed GMM in 308.At least its still in the family.

I've a Howa barreled action from Brownells, 6.5 creed 26" heavy barrel threaded. Dropped it in an accurate mag chassis I got on the hide. Ran it in a match two weeks a go, no problems, feeding and ejection were very smooth. It's easily sub-moa with match ammo. The HACT trigger is very nice as well, very crisp 2-stage. The Howa chambers on the 6.5 are headspaced a little tighter than other factory guns, which is a good thing, Hornady Match ammo chambers with no resistance, but the Federal Gold Medal caused a bit of resistance when closing the bolt, still great accuracy tho. The machining and finish on the Howa barreled actions is top-notch, same level as Tikka.

Picatinny rail with 20 MOA of cant with quality rings, no question. A direct mount (I assume you mean a one-piece ring/base combo that bolts directly to the receiver) leaves much to be desired in flexibility.

As far as ring height goes, there's a sticky post in the optics subforum that explains how to figure it out.

Much obliged to your information. Keep up the Fire!

I have the HMR w/Warne 20moa base and SHV 4-14x50 with Tenebraex covers. It’s mounted in NF ultralight low rings (0.885 IIRC) and just clears everything. I do have the front Tenebraex cover opening to the side - if it were to open vertically there is a small tab on the bottom of the cover (used to flip it open) that wouldn’t quite clear.

FWIW I purchased this gun used with 350 rd count and previous owner made a point to tell me the base had been “properly torqued to specs when installed”. I’ve put another 80 or so through it and it hasn’t come loose, but given the issues some have had now I know to check it.

Great information. Many thanks.

A little concerned about Terry's comments on the begara HMR regarding scope bases & screws coming loose. I just purchased the new HMR pro and after reading here I went to the badger site and see several rem short action bases' does anyone know which one I need
I'm thinking its the part number 306-06-08 with 8x40 screws but I don't want to get it wrong if anyone knows I would appreciate the help. Thx.

Installing a base on the HMR falls inline with any of the Remington clones with the exception of the ones that have integral bases. Choose a base that doesn’t rely on the screws only. Take the time to inspect the fit of your base(as simple as shining a flashlight on it to spot any gaps) to know if it needs to be bedded. The screws can be upgraded (size and strength). LocTite and torque properly. These are basic steps that will keep your scope in place.

Reactions: trob_205
We have seen 3 consistent issues with the Bergara's when they show up at a class.

1: Scope base coming loose. Their base design is terrible. This is on all models including the LRP Elite.
2: Stock bolts coming loose. Especially on the HMR models. Cheek rest hardware on the HMRs is terrible also.
3: More issues than acceptable with ejection.

Not enough exposure to Howa to have an opinion on them.

./
Do the screws loosen?( loctite?) otherwise, do the screws strip? ( that WOULD be mfg. fault ) but mine were very good grade screws,otherwise why is it a “ terrible “ base design ? Stock bolts coming loose ? Again torque and a thread lock this ,again, the assemblers/ owners responsibility,,isn’t it? I don’t know anything about the cheek rest hardware ,mine is a custom one, made in my shop,by me,for me not adjustable and permanent,I’ve had no problems with extraction ,different ,it’s a rimfire but 0 problems and I’ve shot scads of ammo,last year 21 weeks and about 150 rounds a week between practice and competiton score plus it’s my small game rifle.(BMR) .22 lr.

Do the screws loosen?( loctite?) otherwise, do the screws strip? ( that WOULD be mfg. fault ) but mine were very good grade screws,otherwise why is it a “ terrible “ base design ? Stock bolts coming loose ? Again torque and a thread lock this ,again, the assemblers/ owners responsibility,,isn’t it? I don’t know anything about the cheek rest hardware ,mine is a custom one, made in my shop,by me,for me not adjustable and permanent,I’ve had no problems with extraction ,different ,it’s a rimfire but 0 problems and I’ve shot scads of ammo,last year 21 weeks and about 150 rounds a week between practice and competiton score plus it’s my small game rifle.(BMR) .22 lr.
So your Bergara is a 22 LR?
If so, you could shoot a million rounds a week and not be affected by design and construction shortfalls. Recoil and shear forces are a thing.

Your history of no extraction problems with a 22 rimfire Bergara have less than zero relevance to the centerfire rifle issues I mentioned. To say they have a drastically different bolt design would be an understatement.