• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Howa VS Tikka Accuracy (6.5 Creedmoor)

"MDT's magazines are AICS compatible to fit our MDT chassis systems and many more."
Yeah I just wanted to make sure they "click in" to the Tikka action.

The reason I ask, is because I know the Howa required modification to use the AICS mags in an MDT Chassis, otherwise the poly mags are the only option.

So I wasn't sure what the go would be with Tikka actions.

I think the CTR is compatible, but not the Varmint.
🤔
With what? AICS? No.

Ctr and tac a1 take ctr or TRG magazines. Varmint takes the same mag as the lite.

If you're changing to a MDT or other aftermarket chassis you will be using AICS mags (in general. Only other major option that I can think of is the krg bravo is available AICS or ctr).

All Tikka t3x actions (lite, ctr, varmint, tax a1, veil) are all the same. The differences are only in barrel weights and stocks.

Only AICS mag that I know of that doesn't work with tikkas is the Magpul AICS.

With what? AICS? No.

Ctr and tac a1 take ctr or TRG magazines. Varmint takes the same mag as the lite.

If you're changing to a MDT or other aftermarket chassis you will be using AICS mags (in general. Only other major option that I can think of is the krg bravo is available AICS or ctr).

All Tikka t3x actions (lite, ctr, varmint, tax a1, veil) are all the same. The differences are only in barrel weights and stocks.

Only AICS mag that I know of that doesn't work with tikkas is the Magpul AICS.
Hmmm I'd consider the KRG Bravo too, quite similar to the XRS really.

Would aftermarket stocks would you guys recommend?

I do remember the pistol grip on the ruger precision I've fired being far more comfortable to shoot than the Tikka. Though the standard stock is quite nice looking and I could get used to it.

But I'd love to hear suggestions or to know what stocks you guys are running?

I think I'm going to go with the Tikka guys. My summary is that the Howa is just as accurate. However I remember absolutely loving the feel of the bolt and trigger on the Tikka I've fired. I have never fired a Howa, but I from what I've read, their trigger is a little heavier and the bolt isn't quite as smooth. So the extra dollars are going to a better feeling rifle more so than accuracy.
However, I've also read that the Tikka barreled action is a lot more plastic than the Howa. Does anyone know what specific parts this refers to? I also read something about the Howa having a better quality stop (I'm not sure what that means). Do any of these things matter?

Cheers,

If you bought a howa and a tikka on the same day, took them to the range, both shot the same ammo equally well, you would still be better off with the tikka. The tikka has great support and the action is superior. Your accuracy may be the same but the overall user experience will be greater in the tikka. Nothing wrong with howa's but they aren't as pleasurable of an action to manipulate as a tikka, by far. Ive got custom actions and an AI but my tikka is still one of my favorite actions out there. Thats just my .02

If you bought a howa and a tikka on the same day, took them to the range, both shot the same ammo equally well, you would still be better off with the tikka. The tikka has great support and the action is superior. Your accuracy may be the same but the overall user experience will be greater in the tikka. Nothing wrong with howa's but they aren't as pleasurable of an action to manipulate as a tikka, by far. Ive got custom actions and an AI but my tikka is still one of my favorite actions out there. Thats just my .02
Yep my thoughts exactly. I'm going the Tikka

I've heard that Muzzle Breaks just piss people at the range off.
Also, I haven't fired a 6.5CM but from what I understand they're quite low in recoil. Do they need a muzzle break/will muzzle break do much to improve accuracy?

If so, then that's the only downfall to the varmint. The Howa comes with a threaded 26" barrel.

This is tough.
Brakes can and do annoy others, on a 6.5 it isn't so much for recoil, which it reduces, but helping you stay on target and see your impacts. My 10 yr old nephew who had only shot a .22 a couple times was able to watch steel rams at 550 yards fall in the scope on his third shot the first time he shot my 6.5 CM in the prone position with a bipod and rear bag.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
What the hell may as well brag on Howa

Howa 1500 308 17".jpg

Ten shots into .2 mils at 100 yards
Howa 1500 10 shot grp 2018.jpg

Family photos of my other two Howa HCRs. This one 6.5 Creedmoor
BDD813C5-36BE-4752-B142-86CDDC127C35.jpeg
This one is my match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor
98FD4BBF-5DED-47F0-9CD9-5A45F318CF78.jpeg
31E2014C-2C97-4DCA-AB4C-FC211B75AC03.jpeg

400yds with 140 American Gunner. Shot two, corrected .2R for wind, fired three more into 1.6”. Prone with bipod and rear bag. 50% IPSC.

Last edited:
No mine started out as black although Howa did offer multicam. I sent these off the Custom Gun Coating. He posts here in the Hide and there is a thread under the group buy area. His work is exceptional.

Reactions: rbs7500
No mine started out as black although Howa did offer multicam. I sent these off the Custom Gun Coating. He posts here in the Hide and there is a thread under the group buy area. His work is exceptional.
Which would work great except that our friend @rbs7500 lives upside down. He is closer to barney than us.

Which would work great except that our friend @rbs7500 lives upside down. He is closer to barney than us.
All good I like the synthetic stock on the varmint and for an aftermarket stock I'm eventually either going to put it in a green KRG Bravo or FDE MRT ESS.
Or I might come across something completely different.

Dunno if I should upgrade the Tikka stock first or spend the money it'd cost to do so on a .22 first, so that I can actually shoot all day😂

20210319_140710.jpg

Orange dots are my mate's new CTR creeping into zero.140 gr
The others are my Super Varmint with 129gr SST.
Ordered my GRS BiFrost the other day.
Shoulder and elbow on the mend, looking forward to better tomorrow's.
20cm target.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Also one more question guys,

With the Tikka, are you stuck with the plastic trigger guard or does it detach and have aftermarket metal replacements available?

And what exactly does a recoil lug do? Does the Tikka recoil lug and receiver being separate pieces mean it's any less durable?

All good I like the synthetic stock on the varmint and for an aftermarket stock I'm eventually either going to put it in a green KRG Bravo or FDE MRT ESS.
Or I might come across something completely different.

Dunno if I should upgrade the Tikka stock first or spend the money it'd cost to do so on a .22 first, so that I can actually shoot all day😂
Tikka does make the T1x. Good news for me is that they're coming out with it in lefty 22lr soon.

Recoil lug transfers energy to the stock.
Don't know about the trigger guards.
Tikkas are designed and made in Finland. They are pretty rugged.
I've bushbashed with my one, and haven't had issues.
If you don't use it as a car jack lever, it will be fine.

Also one more question guys,

With the Tikka, are you stuck with the plastic trigger guard or does it detach and have aftermarket metal replacements available?

And what exactly does a recoil lug do? Does the Tikka recoil lug and receiver being separate pieces mean it's any less durable?
Recoil lug transfers recoil to the stock so it minimizes the shear put on the action screws. Haven't heard any complaints. 6.5 creed won't damage it any way.

They do but if you're thinking of changing to a chassis do that and save the money. Atlasworxs out of Perth makes some but they're over $135- $165AUD.

And anticipating you asking. Shrouds don't do much mechanically but they can look awesome. Bolt handles are changeable. @cannoncrossfire is Sterk and he's aussie as well. He makes awesome versions of handles and shrouds. Haven't ordered mine yet. Going chassis first.

I’d go with the one that fits you the best from an anatomical stand point.

On the lower end rifles there is potential for more variation but.... they are both GREAT for the money. Why not stop worrying, get one and plan on how to put as much lead down range as possible?!

You might want to hit the brakes on the 6.5cm. You stated you can't hunt with it in Australia. And your range goes to 500m . The 308 will hold it's own to 500m and you can hunt with it saving you a rebarrel in the future of course for the price of a prefit on a tikka you have 2 rifles.....

No pictures but a Howa 1500 in 308, prints about the same groups as a Tikka Tac (not a1) at 100. Both in KRG Bravo chassis. Not really fair to compare the 2 at long range since they are not the same caliber. I bought the 1500 action from Brownells on sale a year and a half ago and the Bravo used in like new condition. Total cost for both was around $650 including shipping. Spent another $100 getting the barrel threaded, $100 for scope rings (used svortex pmr), and $900 on a used Steiner Military 4-16x50 scope. $150 for 4 aics 308 mags. Great system for 2k. Take your time and watch the for sell section here. Plenty of new or like new items that will stretch your budget.

If you are on a budget consider starting with a 308, ammo is much cheaper and more available, especially now. You can shoot more and change caliber later and still pay less in the US. Not sure in Australia.

I am not aware of any state in Australia that doesn't allow you to hunt with a 6.5.
You do need a property letter in Western Australia, to obtain an "open" licence, it may be the same in other states.
Otherwise you are confined to rifle ranges.

You might want to hit the brakes on the 6.5cm. You stated you can't hunt with it in Australia. And your range goes to 500m . The 308 will hold it's own to 500m and you can hunt with it saving you a rebarrel in the future of course for the price of a prefit on a tikka you have 2 rifles.....
Can hunt with 6.5 - just can't hunt some of the larger deer species.
Also, since posting this, I've found that there's a range 2 hours away that's open twice a month and it's 900m.

Otherwise I'd agree with you. I also sent off my permit to acquire with 6.5CM written on it which makes me bound to that caliber for this rifle (I didn't know that when I put it in)

More than likely going with the Tikka guys.

Can hunt with 6.5 - just can't hunt some of the larger deer species.
Also, since posting this, I've found that there's a range 2 hours away that's open twice a month and it's 900m.

Otherwise I'd agree with you. I also sent off my permit to acquire with 6.5CM written on it which makes me bound to that caliber for this rifle (I didn't know that when I put it in)

More than likely going with the Tikka guys.
Which one though?

And when you do make sure you make your way into the t3x thread as well.

Bit late chiming in but I’m a Howa fan. Mine shoots great and has a great action.
The part about aics mags needing modification to work in an MDT chassis is not entirely accurate. The full metal mags do require some modification, however Synthetic mdt aics and magpul aics mags require no modification at all. I also have a poly/metal mdt mag that I haven’t had any problems with to date.
I have only polished up my bolt a little to smooth it out and changed out the crap stock for an MDT XRS chassis. Have not needed to change triggers or perform any other mods to the rifle and I love it.

Which one though?

And when you do make sure you make your way into the t3x thread as well.
T3X Varmint or CTR, depending budget. But most likely the t3x Varmint in stainless. I'll probs eventually buy the pistol grip for it. Otherwise I'm not sure the CTR is worth the extra cost for the sake of a bigger mag, bolt knob and threaded muzzle. Especially when the general consensus is that creedmoors don't need brakes.

For scope, still tossing up between the Athlon Argos 6-24, Meopta Optika6 4.5-27 and Arken SH4 Gen 2.

Bit late chiming in but I’m a Howa fan. Mine shoots great and has a great action.
The part about aics mags needing modification to work in an MDT chassis is not entirely accurate. The full metal mags do require some modification, however Synthetic mdt aics and magpul aics mags require no modification at all. I also have a poly/metal mdt mag that I haven’t had any problems with to date.
I have only polished up my bolt a little to smooth it out and changed out the crap stock for an MDT XRS chassis. Have not needed to change triggers or perform any other mods to the rifle and I love it.
Howa 1500 in XRS was the exact set up I was considering. It's available for $1350 here. I really want the Tikka action but I'm essentially paying an extra $400 for it and then even more for an aftermarket Chassis if I eventually replace the stock. However I do quite like the Tikka stocks.

Also, are any of you Aussie? My 28 day period ended yesterday but my eServices portal still says in progress. Does anyone know how I'll know when I'm approved?

Especially when the general consensus is that creedmoors don't need brakes.
Not sure about consensus. Brakes work to help you spot hits. Sure they reduce the kick some, but main benefit is to help you spot your hits to make you a better shooter. Once I started being to spot my own hits on my CTR, I instantly began getting on target faster, more consistently and shooting at long distances became more fun and less frustrating and dependent on my spotter paying attention.

@rbs7500 , the police licence department take their time.
I've heard of it being up to twelve weeks.
They will send you an email, saying the provisional clearance has been approved and your licence will follow after that.

Howa 1500 in XRS was the exact set up I was considering. It's available for $1350 here. I really want the Tikka action but I'm essentially paying an extra $400 for it and then even more for an aftermarket Chassis if I eventually replace the stock. However I do quite like the Tikka stocks.
190ABD48-5410-4A8D-BC07-6E1A5C1B8FF4.jpeg

This is how mine ended up. It’s been good....really good.
Licensing in Vic took my sister around eight weeks when she had to do it last year.

3292CFC3-9A68-4811-9E10-3F89242A8BF2.jpeg

Also, this is not creedmore but old geriatric 308, but this is an average five round group out of my rifle. Tikka will do this too, it’s a matter of trigger time rather than the rifle itself.

View attachment 7590719
This is how mine ended up. It’s been good....really good.
Licensing in Vic took my sister around eight weeks when she had to do it last year.
Ah, I legit have this photo saved on my phone as I was looking through the reviews on the MDT website for inspo a few weeks back and this was one of my favourites.

Hmmm I can get the Tikka T3X Varmint for $1850 from my local gun shop, or I can get the Howa 1500 in an XRS for $1350 from Cleavers, without ever having to worry about upgrading the Chassis.

It's a tough call. I was set on the Tikka and now I'm unsure again. The Howa has a 26" barrel top where the Tikka is 24", so the Howa will probably be a faster shooter.

Do you have any issues with rounds feeding? That was one of the things I'd heard about that steered me away from the Howa, along with the Bolt just not being quite as smooth.