• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Howa VS Tikka Accuracy (6.5 Creedmoor)

View attachment 7590721
Also, this is not creedmore but old geriatric 308, but this is an average five round group out of my rifle. Tikka will do this too, it’s a matter of trigger time rather than the rifle itself.
Very nice,

Yeah I've recently realized that accuracy is going to be very similar from a cheaper Savage or Ruger, all the way through to a top end Browning or Sako that costs 8x as much and that it's overall quality that sets the price difference more so than accuracy. Until I realised this, I had been of the belief that accuracy was somewhat relative to price.

Happy shooters are good shooters.
I owned a crappy. 22 Norinco. Cost me $137.
It was an ugly, clunky, nasty piece of shit.
One of the best fucken .22 rifles I ever owned, incredibly accurate for bunny bashing.
It was the favourite for a few of the guys on Saturday night shoots.
Last I heard, it's still cracking bunnies.
Anyway, whether it's a Howa, Tikka, Accuracy International.... the most important component in the shooting equation, is you.
Enjoy what you have, and strive to do your best, and have fun.

Do you have any issues with rounds feeding? That was one of the things I'd heard about that steered me away from the Howa, along with the Bolt just not being quite as smooth.
How many have told you that? Do they actually own the rifle in question?

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Ah, I legit have this photo saved on my phone as I was looking through the reviews on the MDT website for inspo a few weeks back and this was one of my favourites.

Hmmm I can get the Tikka T3X Varmint for $1850 from my local gun shop, or I can get the Howa 1500 in an XRS for $1350 from Cleavers, without ever having to worry about upgrading the Chassis.

It's a tough call. I was set on the Tikka and now I'm unsure again. The Howa has a 26" barrel top where the Tikka is 24", so the Howa will probably be a faster shooter.

Do you have any issues with rounds feeding? That was one of the things I'd heard about that steered me away from the Howa, along with the Bolt just not being quite as smooth.
Yes I have problems with the rounds feeding.

Caused by my dumb ass not inserting the magazine far enough. Happens in both the Howa and my Rem 700. If I had a Tikka, it would also be a problem. PEBTAG

Problem
Exists
Between
Trigger
And
Ground

Reactions: rbs7500
Ah, I legit have this photo saved on my phone as I was looking through the reviews on the MDT website for inspo a few weeks back and this was one of my favourites.

Hmmm I can get the Tikka T3X Varmint for $1850 from my local gun shop, or I can get the Howa 1500 in an XRS for $1350 from Cleavers, without ever having to worry about upgrading the Chassis.

It's a tough call. I was set on the Tikka and now I'm unsure again. The Howa has a 26" barrel top where the Tikka is 24", so the Howa will probably be a faster shooter.

I had issues with the factory mag, got so annoying I threw it out.

No problems with pmags, though.

Reactions: rbs7500
If you arent reloading for that rifle... either is gonna be sub par of what they can be. I have a howa and i like it enough, but i was also a vanguard fan

Just reviews I've watched etc. and feeding issues is something that comes up a lot.

Though Ejection issues for the Tikka comes up too.

I've had a total of three Howas, in all three major action lengths, and still have two of them (308, 223). I've never had a single feeding, extraction, or ejection issue.

How do you know the issues you've heard about weren't self induced, either through poor maintenance, poor reloading practices, or both?

The only extraction issue I've been able to simulate on my action, is pulling bolt open too slowly.
Treat it like a woman, own it like a boss..
99% of issues I've had with any gun feeding were from being 'too gentle' Like the man says "Own it like a boss"

The 1% other time was my exttractor got dirty so I cleaned it (Handgun). And my Supressed 9mm caused FTE issues.

They can make guns idiot proof, but the idiots just keep getting better.

Edit: and you are totally overthinking this. Go finger them at the store. Buy one. Shoot it.

Reactions: mi650
"They can make guns idiot proof, but the idiots just keep getting better."
@DocRDS that about sums up most things.🤣🤣🤣
@rbs7500 , you are developing FlappaDuck Syndrome 😉
It's where an anxiety ridden duck flies around, chasing it's own quacks in ever diminishing circles, till it disappears up it's own arsehole.
The Howa and Tikka are both good rifles for the money.

• Love
Reactions: Im2bent and rbs7500
Just got back from the range. 40 rounds through my Weatherby/Howa zero fails to feed, zero bolt binds, itty bitty groups at 100. Fun and satisfying day.

"They can make guns idiot proof, but the idiots just keep getting better."
@DocRDS that about sums up most things.🤣🤣🤣
@rbs7500 , you are developing FlappaDuck Syndrome 😉
It's where an anxiety ridden duck flies around, chasing it's own quacks in ever diminishing circles, till it disappears up it's own arsehole.
The Howa and Tikka are both good rifles for the money.
😂😂😂hahaha, yes I am a bit.

I'm still awaiting licensing approval and the things I'm selling to fund this haven't sold yet. I'll just go with what's most affordable with the money I have when everything's approved.

I'd have a lot left for accessories if I went the Howa. If I go Tikka, it'd be the Varmint with a slightly cheaper scope - but I can slowly upgrade over time as I develop as a shooter. Grow with the rifle so to speak.

Also do you guys recommend a bipod or starting with bags? There's some really nice front and rear bag kits for $70 and I wasn't sure how necessary a bipod is straight off the bat.

you are developing FlappaDuck Syndrome 😉

1472.gif

Also do you guys recommend a bipod or starting with bags? There's some really nice front and rear bag kits for $70 and I wasn't sure how necessary a bipod is straight off the bat.
For getting started, sandbags are fine working from the bench.
Make your own bags, old pants legs and sand are literally “Dirt Cheap”.
Sewing at home has become a bit of a lost art in the US, not sure how it is on the other side of the world.
Needle and thread to hand sew should be pretty inexpensive as well if you don’t have access to a sewing machine.

For target shooting, bags are good, bipods can be too.
For field use and target, learn how to use a sling. It’s becoming a forgotten art but I much prefer a sling to a bipod or bags, or wooden rests, really the only thing I prefer to a sling is a magnificent pair of breasts...

Sorry this reply is a year too late. Been a bit busy shooting and chasing my bloody awful ankle biters. I have no problems with feeding at all. The only detractor I have after a couple of years of use is that when you insert a mag into the Howa with the XRS you really need to do it with a closed bolt. It has a tendency to over insert and lock up the action on an open bolt. That’s my one whinge. The action is just as smooth as any tikka that I have had in the past. I took a dremel tool and polished the bearing surfaces and used some lapping compound to really slick them up. Now that action is as smooth as silk.
I realize this is a historical document at this point but maybe it will help someone.
I firmly believe that the supposed superiority of the tikka action over the Howa action really does not exist. Howa actions are smooth from the start and improve with age. They are both very strong and from my experiences with both, very well made. The Howa gives you a better price point in the majority of cases. The barrels on both are good but not amazing. But like anything shoot the thing out and replace it.
Over in Oz I would look into a tobler barrel. I heard Dennis passed away a while ago, but his son is still making barrels. If his product is anything like his dads then they will shoot, better than a lot of the US made hyper barrels.
They used to be a bloke in Tassie by the name of Lionel Weeks that made some really nice target stocks, you would do well to look into his stocks, they are wood but lovely and comfortable to use.