• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater "Hunger Games" movie

Okie Gordon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trainler looks like it might be pretty good.
Due to come out in theaters in March 2012

Synopsis:
Lottery system puts 24 teenagers in a closed wilderness environment.
One comes out alive as the winner with the whole thing being televised.

The book that the movie is based upon was written by a woman.
I read the first book in the series. The violence is glossed over in favor of interaction between the kids who eventually kill each other off. The movie could still be pretty good if they decide to bring a decent level of reality into wilderness survival.

Re: "Hunger Games" movie

Read the book. I couldn't believe that it was a scholastic selection.

I almost cried when they killed off the little girl.

Very anti-govt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone see this yet? Good or bad? </div></div>

The reviews say to bring a barf-bag because it's another one of those 'shake-the-shit-outa-the-camera' movies. But I'm planning on seeing it.

It was ok if you didn't have anything better to do that evening but otherwise I wouldn't waste my time. There wasn't much action and what they had was mediocre. The story was dull and uninspiring and the ending was anticlimactic.
sleep.gif

I really enjoyed the books, read the first one in one sitting and finished the others within a couple of weeks.

I thought the movie was decent. It left out a lot of details that I thought were pretty significant. Even with the omissions, it's over two hours long and they still have to make the other two movies. I'm sure they left some of the details out so they wouldn't have to follow up on them in the sequels, but as a fan of the books, I felt a little cheated.

I'd give it a B+.

I think the books were a good way to get younger kids to think about the consequences of an extreme Big-Brother type govt. A popular way for them to understand what terrible things a govt. gone wrong is capable of. Also teaches self reliance and the value of knowing how to use arms! I guess I enjoyed it more thinking of how kids would view it, but it was a compelling story for sure.

The movie did an overall good job to kick the series off. I would give it a B+ as well. It was entertaining, but not epic.

I watched it last night. First half is slow and boring. Second half is a little better.

Books are better, as per usual. Movie wasn't terrible, but if you find that you liked the books, Heinlein has a TON of teenage oriented sci-fi stories that knock the pants off of this series. My problem with these stories was the serious need for suspension of disbelief as far as 74 years of no major uprisings in a system that is wholly dependent on the production of the extremely impoverished.

The part I did really like about the stories is that the main character is not perfect. She exhibits cowardice, cruelty, and weakness as well as the virtues of bravery, morality, determination, etc. I'm not a huge fan of the protagonists that never make a wrong judgment/decision.

I saw it yesterday & I think it was very well done and stayed as close to the book as they could get away with and still have a PG-13 rating. The violence was toned way down and it was missing a lot of the heavy opressive atmosphere you feel in the books (no peacekeepers with machine gun nests trained on the crowd etc). They also skipped a lot about how miserable & hopeless life really was for everyone.

Everyone I went with enjoyed it a lot, but still said of course the book was better. That being said everyone is looking forward to seeing the Catching Fire movie next year.

My oldest took his girlfriend last night and came home saying the same thing, the book was better.

Was surprised too, to learn they had read it in school.

The very cool part was, his class held an archery tournament Thursday during school, to win a ticket to the movie.

Of course, my kid survived the tournament and won the ticket.

Couldn't help but think there was an analogy in that somewhere.......

My wife went friday to see it. She said it was really good and that I would like it. On that note, she also said that the Twilight movies were really good and that I will like those. I have spent the last 3 years trying to un-see that shit. I will take a pass, especially if my wife is recommending it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife went friday to see it. She said it was really good and that I would like it. On that note, she also said that the Twilight movies were really good and that I will like those. I have spent the last 3 years trying to un-see that shit. I will take a pass, especially if my wife is recommending it. </div></div>

Amen brother!! When my wife and oldest daughter chimed up with enthusiasm about going to see this one as soon as possible, I got the faint whiff of turd. No thanks.

books are ALWAYS better...you'd do better to not read it until you see the movie.

i can think of only a handful of movies that did the book justice

The wife and I decided to go see a movie this weekend. I had already settled with the fact that I was going to have to sit through "Hunger Games" but was very surprised when the words "Act of Valor" came out of her mouth at the ticket booth. So I dodged the bullet. I asked her about it later and she said she really didn't have and interest in seeing "hunger games".

Saw it this past weekend. I 'thought' I enjoyed it when leaving the cinema, but the more I mulled it over, the realization that so much character-defining content was left out, and it all seemed so rushed.

Not the best movie adaptation--although special effects were well done.

The books are certainly better. That being said, I'll still see the remaining movies, if only because I appear to be in love with Jennifer Laurence

there is no real way to get the full effect of a book into a movie. I'm happy if they keep to the important points of the book and not waste time on shit that wasnt even in the book. THAT is what irks the shit out of me.

John Carter was much better and universally panned by the same demographic that thought the Hunger Games was good.

The book was better, mainly because they left the details out and made sure to keep it PG-13. The people that are supposedly malnourished didn't look hungry/starving and had meat on their bones. Would have been better had they chosen to make it R and showed what poverty/hunger are really like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstang1988</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The book was better, mainly because they left the details out and made sure to keep it PG-13. The people that are supposedly malnourished didn't look hungry/starving and had meat on their bones. Would have been better had they chosen to make it R and showed what poverty/hunger are really like. </div></div>

Studios aim for PG-13 for the bump in revenue but usually at the cost or making an otherwise good movie, boring. Such is the case here.

I didn't read the book and thought the movie was hoo-humm, the shaking camera thing gets really old!

It'd be a hard sell for a director or producer to convince a studio that their movie, based on a book written for teenagers, should have an R rating.

That'd be a LOT of revenue go *poof*

FWIW, I saw it...pretty good flick worth the $7 I paid for a matinee.

Hunger Games ...
just leaves you starving for more action & you never have to worry about missing anything if you decide to go stuff your face during the flick ....horribly long and drawn out.. & wtf ? ending is that

Yeah, I <span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">gamefuly hungered</span> for the big ass steak dinner I could have bought with the money I spent to take my girlfriend and little sister to see this with. Lil sisters movie choosing privileges have been suspended for now.

The first hour and fifteen minutes were painful and I think my ass and senses were numb to the rest of it. Though I'm pretty sure the ten minutes between that and the terrible ending didn't blow dicks quite as hard as the first 80% with all the Bootsie Collins looking fanny poppers cheering for the poor people to kill each other.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">***</span><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="color: #CC0000">SPOILER ALERT</span></span><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">***</span>

Shari+the+bow+hunter.jpg

girl-on-fire-2.jpg

tumblr_l5sf04dXQf1qzqfao.jpg

26-larp-767144.jpg

peeta-camouflage.jpg

2011-11-15-10-38-33-5-katniss-delivers-a-farewell-salute-this-gesture-i.jpeg

The end

I actually really enjoyed it, though had never heard of it before reading about here on SH.

There are a lot of good lessons/messages in that piece of celluloid...

Interesting that the 'occupy' generation was raised on Harry Potter books where you get rewarded for breaking rules, have huge stashes of gold from your parents and get everything you want by waving a wand...

The generation that seems to be reading the Hunger Games may be growing up with the idea that self-sufficiency is good; hunting = survival skills; big government in a far-off capital is bad; and a few more pretty-easy-to-grasp messages that cross the lines into political. Hunger Games seems to be a Libertarian's wet dream!

All 3 books are now on my reading list...

Cheers,

Sirhr

I liked it (didn't realize it was more for the teenie boppers). It was definitely longer than needed. The ending was somewhat dissappointing however I didn't know it was a trilogy either so that explained the wide open "what the hell just happened" ending. Anyway long story short - it was not worth the ridiculous prices for movie tickets but I would watch it again when out on DVD

The hunger gane movie was action and adventure movie.all my friends like this movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsmith123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hungry gay movie was action and adventure movie.all my friends like this movie ass you can see.thats me in the middle which is favorite of me.

tumblr_l5sf04dXQf1qzqfao.jpg
</div></div>

whistle.gif
haha
laugh.gif

Treated the family out for a rare movie night and we saw the "Hunger Games"
I liked the beginning didn't care for "The Running Man" atmosphere but got through it okay. I didn't like the "cheeziness" but understand what they were trying to get across. The final 1/3 of the movie was mostly good but the ending was quite predictable. My 14 yr old daughter had read the books and found the movie fairly true to the book save the more violent moments.
The movie was very watchable but not the best for those wanting gory violence wrapped in a dark storyline.
At least it will be a talking point with my daughter and wife for the next evenings.

I give this film 3.5 stars out of 5.

We look forward to the 2nd film.

On a side note , I was a bit pissed that the concession stand had the audacity to charge $12 for 2 sodas(1 shared with the wife) and medium popcorn....really?
However, they only charge $5 to get in. So $27 for the 3 of to get in and have popcorn and sodas comes out $9 each which is less that a lot of you pay to get in the door at your cinema. So I digress.

Next time were packing in our snacks....lol

You guys have me torn on going to see this!! Loved the book, couldn't put it down and tore through it in a couple days. Just started the second book a couple days ago, but tough to find time with a 13 month old and a preggo wife.

I'm going to have to go see it, I'm prepared for it to be about half the quality of any good book I've read that gets made into a movie.

I have yet to see it, but it was filmed about 45 minutes north of me in NC and I have ridden through those areas on my bike several times. Some friends actually came upon the set one time while they weren't shooting the film.

Was thinking about it but now I think I have better things to do with my time. Thanks for the input

If you guys liked the Hunger Games, you'll definitely enjoy a movie called Battle Royale. It's Japanese, but it was made in 2000 and I definitely believe that Suzanne Collins got about 95% of her inspiration and ideas from that movie, alone.

Definitely try and rent it on DVD, I've read and watched the Hunger Games and it comes nowhere near as close to Battle Royal in terms of intensity, but they're very closely similar in story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/