• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Badgers.. lil' help plz

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
OK we seem to have a Badger clan that moved into the Ranch we are managing.
The problems are this.. I've never actually set out to "hunt" a Badger. I cannot trap them as the are they are in is where we have multiple mares set to foal.
I know they have young one s as I've seen them with the cubs twice now.. unfortunately I had no weapons at the time.

Any ideas on how to hunt these things?

Re: Hunting Badgers.. lil' help plz

Yeah.. I thought about that... but being as it is and I have this "sniper like" rifle ;-) I'd like to hone the skills if I could ;-)

I've read they are mostly nocturnal.. true?

I've heard of guys using electronic calls. Not sure what sound would lure them out, but I'll bet Mr. Google will know.

I remember when I was a kid, we saw them feed the badgers at the zoo. They just tossed some rabbits in the pit with all their dens. They seemed quite fond of rabbits, so if unsure, that'd be something I'd try.

I've seen and shot Badger's in the middle of the day many times, I'm sure they are more nocturnal, but I see them all the time in the day. Every now and again I might connect with one too.
I think the key is to go where their food is, or present their food to them if possible. They'll come back to it
wink.gif

Here in Texas they are found around alot of fruit stuff (pear, peach,apple trees and watermelon paches) also seen eating on dead cattle snd pigs too.

Thx guys some great insight as always..

They have more than enough food... they have taken up residence in the middle of our gopher population...!

Hungry they are not...

scan0008-7.jpg

Easy to trap them in a dirthole set....same set as for coyotes.

They have a larger home range than a guy would think. Make your sets in a pasture where there is no livestock. I'd use gopher for bait....where you're at over there is gopher central...probably what he is doing where you saw him, digging up gophers.

scan0012-6.jpg

Dont forget your shovel when you go and check the traps.....grin!

Better hope it isn't one of those honey badgers!!!;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0008-7.jpg

</div></div>

Out come the old school PGS pics!!!
laugh.gif

Guy's gotta have at least 20 pics of every kind of animal on this continent and usually one from each of the last three decades!

Badgers are a "non game animal" here in Montana...open season year around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out come the old school PGS pics!!!
laugh.gif

Guy's gotta have at least 20 pics of every kind of animal on this continent and usually one from each of the last three decades!</div></div>

Ha!..

Yeah ... that guy is one of the more humble, pert near experts in these parts. Don't make too many like that any more.

Thx PGS!

Bait it with snakes? +1 on the earlier honey badger comment, for those that haven't seen the reference:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Badger like Wolverine can be trapped the same way.

In your case, fence off an area around a tree/post so the horses can't get into it. Set leg traps, per dirty hole standards all around the tree/post. Take a piece of rotten meat an with 2-3 layers of chicken wire tie it to the tree. The Badger will find an avoid all the leg traps but,... when he can't get the chicken from the tree he will throw caution to the wind and will get caught in one or more tarps, do to his predicable, ways. All you have to do is help him out smart his self,...

If it were a Wolverine-----> "Have Skills Will Travel" I hate those things, we became enemys early in life and I go out of my way to kill everyone I see. I am a law abiding guy but in their case, I don't care what the law says.

I shot a badger with a 338 (20yards) and it blew him in half. Damn thing just locked in the front hubs and was still coming at me. He got within 5 yard before he stopped and I shot him again in the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a badger with a 338 (20yards) and it blew him in half. Damn thing just locked in the front hubs and was still coming at me. He got within 5 yard before he stopped and I shot him again in the head. </div></div>

I did just about the same thing but on a wolverine while I was using a M14 across the pond. He was on a dead run towards me and my first shot had to much led as it impacted just in front of his nose. He threw on the brakes and my second shot took his head off at about 25yds. Old man an First shirt sent it to be checked, it was full of Rabies. He was mean, bad, an nasty, but Uncles H&R, sent him to a better place.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badgers are a "non game animal" here in Montana...open season year around. </div></div> luckyy!!!

Iv shot 2 badgers while callin coyotes, bird sounds work great for them.

So...a few years ago my friend used one of those kits on a badger hole near Manhattan, MT. He filled the hole with the gas, inserted the wand, knelt down by the hole and pulled the spark trigger. BLAMMO! The dirt, rocks and badger crap hit his face hard. Thank God he had a face shield. The line below his cap and above the face shield was red for weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badgers are a "non game animal" here in Montana...open season year around. </div></div> luckyy!!! </div></div>

Same here in Texas

I shot three this last season. They weren't the intended quarry, but on the short list of possibles nonetheless. Two were found as a result of some very careful glassing. If you were to go out and run a distress call for a bit, and then just sit still and GLASS for 20 minutes or so, you may spot one. I'd be sure to check ANY dirt mound, regardless of size and watch for a rooster tail of one digging. They have beautiful fur, certainly not bulletproof, but an ENORMOUS pain to skin/flesh out compared to a coyote. I think if you know the general area they hang out in, and spend a few hours looking, you have a good chance of running across one. Best of luck. Eric
Badger#1 130 yards .243 87 VMAX
100_6055-1.jpg

Badger#2 330 yards 180 JLK 7WSM
03b3d2d2.jpg

Badger #3 440 yards .243 87 VMAX
Badger3pic2.jpg

I have killed several in my hunting career. Find fresh sign where the little buggers are working and set up and spotlight. They are easy to kill. Killed several with a 22 lr and 223. Never needed anything bigger.

They will straight mess up a coonhound though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bait it with snakes? +1 on the earlier honey badger comment, for those that haven't seen the reference:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r7wHMg5Yjg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div> LOL @ "the honey badger doesnt give a shit" in a metro voice. classic.

Also, unless you want to get rid of them pronto, their fur primes up in December. Not sure what buyers out there give, but we were getting 60 to 80 bucks on the carcass.

If you got water on the place drowned the bastards. Then get ready to take care of business. If not it is a good time to just put holes in them. Pick your poison.

30yds with a 45
013-1.jpg

Badger double with a swift
026.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, unless you want to get rid of them pronto, their fur primes up in December. Not sure what buyers out there give, but we were getting 60 to 80 bucks on the carcass. </div></div>

This I like!

I've decided to wait. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, unless you want to get rid of them pronto, their fur primes up in December. Not sure what buyers out there give, but we were getting 60 to 80 bucks on the carcass. </div></div>

This I like!

I've decided to wait. ;-) </div></div>

Edit: Looks like they're bringin less this year.

http://trappingtoday.com/index.php/category/fur-prices/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, unless you want to get rid of them pronto, their fur primes up in December. Not sure what buyers out there give, but we were getting 60 to 80 bucks on the carcass. </div></div>

This I like!

U really ought to. They're beautiful on the wall once the fur primes. I hunt with FFL Medic, and i already saw one a couple weeks ago in a PD town i frequent. Good luck and have fun with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, unless you want to get rid of them pronto, their fur primes up in December. Not sure what buyers out there give, but we were getting 60 to 80 bucks on the carcass. </div></div>

This I like!

Edit: Looks like they're bringin less this year.

http://trappingtoday.com/index.php/category/fur-prices/ </div></div>

Still better than nuttin'... it'll pay for some bullets and brass as I have no less than 10 of them on the ranch.

I've caught them in live traps, using gophers for bait. Put the traps in an area they have been active, and hope for the best.

You can find them out and about with a spotlight too. Its legal on private land with permission. All varmints and vermin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK we seem to have a Badger clan that moved into the Ranch we are managing.

Any ideas on how to hunt these things? </div></div>

Yeah, I've done a lot of badger hunting here in Sweden. We shoot a lot under the hogfeeders, corn and bread seems to be a favorit badger meal. We also hunt them under ground with terriers, this is the best/funniest way to do it. Let the dog locate the badger and then you dig him up!

Here's a few pics taken during badgerhunt with terriers

grvling-2.jpg

prulla-1.jpg

catoihjo2.jpg

catoihjo4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andersson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK we seem to have a Badger clan that moved into the Ranch we are managing.

Any ideas on how to hunt these things? </div></div>

Yeah, I've done a lot of badger hunting here in Sweden. We shoot a lot under the hogfeeders, corn and bread seems to be a favorit badger meal. We also hunt them under ground with terriers, this is the best/funniest way to do it. Let the dog locate the badger and then you dig him up!

Here's a few pics taken during badgerhunt with terriers

grvling-2.jpg

prulla-1.jpg

catoihjo2.jpg

catoihjo4.jpg

</div></div>

I think your little dog is awesome. He must be brave to get down in a hole with a badger, I know I dang sure wouldn't. I love the pic of him in your signature where he'd biting on the dead one. While digging up a badger might be good for a laugh a time or two, that just looks like too much digging man, lol. That one hole is DEEP. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I've filled a big tank of water stood in the back of the pickup and flooded him out and shot them with shotguns. They are pissed when they come out so be prepared to act fast that's why I was in the pickup box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont forget your shovel when you go and check the traps.....grin! </div></div>No shit, been there thinking...what now??! Don't make your chains too long or they'll use em.

Depending on how far they'd dig I'd be tempted to explode the den.

I'm just going to qualify my position here, I've never used this method on badgers and judging by Andersson's post they do dig pretty deep.

A method that we have used for foxes over here. Once you find a den, grab a drum of petrol (usually the size that pool chemicals come in). Grab a PVC pipe and funnel. Fill each hole with a reasonable amount of petrol and then fill in all exits with sand with the exception of one. Make a trail with the petrol and set alight. The resulting concussion wave from the petrol ignite in such a confine space will kill the animal instantly. Let burn out or hose it out after a few minutes.

It sounds very inhumane but I've never had an animal come running out and I'm absolutely certain that the concussion or shock wave in such a confined space kills them instantly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While digging up a badger might be good for a laugh a time or two, that just looks like too much digging man, lol. That one hole is DEEP. Thanks for sharing the pics.
</div></div>

More pics taken during a few hunts

prgrvling.jpg

catoihjo.jpg

addegrver.jpg

catoihjo6.jpg

Catosmuts.jpg

We also hunt redfox under ground, great fun and the dogs like it

Hilmarven1.jpg

olgahemsida.jpg

Hilmamickel.jpg

Hilma1.jpg

In last 2 pics, both males and pretty old. Biggest redfox I've shot. They do not normally come in these sizes. For reference: The terriers I hunt weigh about 8-10kg. These foxes can sometimes do a lot of harm to the dogs

G'day Andersson.

I can only imagine. I have seen the damage that these animals can do to a sheep.

DSCF0140.jpg

(Sorry to the OP if this is considered off-topic)

Rodney.

Man. That honey badger is a bad ass. That Is some funny crap that someone obviously had way too much free time to make

We used to be faced with this same problem. After trying several things, we finally loaded up the water truck used for watering cows and unleashed a 4" hose down the most active holes. Often we would sit on the back of the truck with a .22 mag and shoot them as they came swimming up for air.

Get comfortable and wait. I have seen a badger hole take as much as 500 gallons.

Extremely successful. Good Luck

Yea they are very nocturnal animals, we have one come through camp a couple years ago on an elk hunt. We sat motionless as he was coming through, afterwords we had to go change our drawers.