• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting/casual range scope

Drifted

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2023
Alberta
  • What is the platform for the scope? tikka t3x
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 7mm rem mag
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Primarily hunting/casual range
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? mornings/mid day
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 0-400m hunting, 1000m range use
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? 4x low end, weight not an issue, un capped elevation preferred but capped windage is fine, sfp, illumination nice but not needed
  • What is the price range you can afford? im in Canada so prices are a bit wacky here but about around $2000 (<1500 american)
    Been looking at the Nightforce shv 4-14 sfp, nxs 3-15 and 2.5-10, credo hx 2.5-15 and the razor lht 3-15 but dont trust vortex as much

The most poppular Leupold scope we carry is the VX5-HD 3-15x44 firedot. It's got a simple duplex reticle ideal for hunting, illumination, and a ballistic turret that locks at zero

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
Your caliber has some legs, the NXS would be a good fit. I have run the 3-15 and 2.5-10x42 extensively. Of the 2, for mixed use, the 3-15 would be my choice. It is significantly larger than the 2.5-10, but not so big it'll throw off that rifle. And it will be brighter in low light, though not a low light scope...
Vortex is a reliable brand, but Nightforce is the gold standard, so I get that. The light hunters aren't bad, but - if you really don't care about weight, the gen2 razers, in 3-18, are great scopes for the money. I have a few of the light hunters and like them, but you want SFP which means you dope the turret not the reticle, I would want exposed for that. And locking, probably.

If this is a stalking gun, all that does not apply any more. I assume you hunt fixed position, stable shooting platform; if not, specify, it absolutely changes the math.

I don't buy Leupold anything. Something about "fool me once, shame on you, fool me 27 times, I am a moron", is that how it goes?

Reactions: FuhQ
Your caliber has some legs, the NXS would be a good fit. I have run the 3-15 and 2.5-10x42 extensively. Of the 2, for mixed use, the 3-15 would be my choice. It is significantly larger than the 2.5-10, but not so big it'll throw off that rifle. And it will be brighter in low light, though not a low light scope...
Vortex is a reliable brand, but Nightforce is the gold standard, so I get that. The light hunters aren't bad, but - if you really don't care about weight, the gen2 razers, in 3-18, are great scopes for the money. I have a few of the light hunters and like them, but you want SFP which means you dope the turret not the reticle, I would want exposed for that. And locking, probably.

If this is a stalking gun, all that does not apply any more. I assume you hunt fixed position, stable shooting platform; if not, specify, it absolutely changes the math.

I don't buy Leupold anything. Something about "fool me once, shame on you, fool me 27 times, I am a moron", is that how it goes?
yea the only thing about the nxs 3.5-15 is i feel its overbuilt for my needs, as i can pretty much guarantee the windage turrets will never be touched once i have zero. However it seems to be best built and have all the features i want. Also had the privilege to see the shv and nxs in person however i was unable to see the 2.5-10 version but was very impressed with both the shv and nxs.

Heard about tracking issues and them not holding zero so haven't given them much thought
All my hunting rifles have Leupold scopes on them. Not one of them have ever lost zero and have tracked reliable.

But that’s not saying they can’t fail.

I have zero experience with the SHV line so cannot comment, I have 20+ years experience with the NXS line, they are the benchmark for tactical real-world scopes for very good reason .

Poorboyr, Leupold were the benchmark way back in my days in the monkey suit, they failed in real-world use very very often, and eventually hiked their prices and traded on name recognition alone. I had so many Leupold scopes fail on me, I refused to ever own another and would only use them under mandate. I was using back in the day of the Mk4 Ultra and there just weren't many alternatives (the old B&L 10X was titties, Unertl 10X too) and Leupolds just failed constantly. I have been told by many that they have cleaned up their act and make some decent scopes now, and I just cannot bring myself to care. This is a thing old people do, hold grudges. Kahles fucked me too, they can rot in hell along with Leupold. At some piont everyone will piss me off and I'll just be the guy sitting on my front porch yelling "get off my lawn" at everyone.

Reactions: BCP
I have zero experience with the SHV line so cannot comment, I have 20+ years experience with the NXS line, they are the benchmark for tactical real-world scopes for very good reason .

Poorboyr, Leupold were the benchmark way back in my days in the monkey suit, they failed in real-world use very very often, and eventually hiked their prices and traded on name recognition alone. I had so many Leupold scopes fail on me, I refused to ever own another and would only use them under mandate. I was using back in the day of the Mk4 Ultra and there just weren't many alternatives (the old B&L 10X was titties, Unertl 10X too) and Leupolds just failed constantly. I have been told by many that they have cleaned up their act and make some decent scopes now, and I just cannot bring myself to care. This is a thing old people do, hold grudges. Kahles fucked me too, they can rot in hell along with Leupold. At some piont everyone will piss me off and I'll just be the guy sitting on my front porch yelling "get off my lawn" at everyone.
Look man. I’m not going to sit here and type my experience and have a measuring contest with you. But I’ve had my fair share of time with many, many scopes to include the Unertls.

And to your love affair with Nightforce, I’ve had many that failed. Not the NXS, but all the others. the NXS is old and optically out of date.

The OP merely asked an opinion, and I gave mine. I do not love Leupold, but they make a solid hunting scope. For the record, I do not use Leupold for comps and tactical style shooting where you are turning the knobs constantly and beating the shit out of the scope.

Like I said. I have never had one of mine fail. Whatever that is worth take it or leave it.

I’m not sure why everyone always tries to push their agenda on others.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
VX-5HD has great twilight glass performance so it does excel as a hunting scope.
He’s claimed numerous times to have every scope on the planet fail on him, so I’m starting to think there’s a common denominator in there somewhere. 🤔

Tract Tekoa 4-16x44 SFP BDC made in Japan with Schott glass with tall turret zero stop kit and sunshade for $559.00 USD and a set of Burris Signature XTR rings for more total elevation travel. Tract has ballistic APPS for whatever cartridge and load you're shooting. These believe it or not are actually worth paying full regular prices for IMHO and I never recommend buying anything at regular price.

For hunting as the priority (0-400 yards) and target shooting (out to 1k) I'd consider a NXS 2.5-10. The bigger the field of view at lower power the better. Gets me on game faster and I can dial up as needed. At 10X I've shot well past 1k, it really depends on the size of the target.

I was prostaff for the Leupold national distributor and did not hear of much in the way of failures from the gun stores or the reps @ RSR. It has been a few years though so it may have changed.

Remembered reading your thread and saw this in the PX. Figured I’d share in case you didn’t see.