• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting flat grassy terrain

gicts

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2005
Kentucky
I live in kentucky and am having problems setting up in the areas I hunt. The terrain is generally flat with very gentle rolling hills and patches of grass and weeds waist high.
Here are some pics
TaylorsvilleLakeWMA2.jpg

LocPh_2048227075_LocID5075.jpg

WestKentuckyWMA1.jpg

Are there any good ways to go about hunting it besides a tree stand? I can't go supine unless I want to search for 4 leaf clovers and nothing else. I have to be in a chair or crouching to see much. Any suggestions? How do you all hunt this terrain?

Re: hunting flat grassy terrain

I have a very similar area I hunt in with knee high vegitation. After looking around, I found several spots where I can prone out and cover a good area. But I still have a hard time seeing 100% of the area. I thought about building a platform about 1-2 feet high to lay prone on. If you tuck it back into some trees and use the shadows and natural vegitation (and maybe some camo netting), it would work. Otherwise, a simple box blind on the ground. But, the deer need to be used to seeing it around.

Sneak in to within a couple hundred yards downwind of where you think they will be at. Start calling with a mouse squeaker and gradually get louder with your normal calls. Setup about 60 yards from the edge of the cover you think they'll appear from (Downwind of course). Hopefully you can see them before they see you and use a mouse squeaker to get them within range and use a shotgun with #4 bb or dead coyote loads. You'd be surprised how far you can take a coyote with those loads, 60 yards is an easy shot and I know guys who have dusted them at 75 yds with the right setup. It works even better if you can throw out some type of moving decoy parrallel to your position and catch them circling in or at least distract them. If your using a rifle get some long shooting sticks and neal with your gun on the sticks. When they appear just slowly raise up into shooting position and you should be good. I've killed a few that way, my knees get pretty stiff while waiting but it works.

Depending on how high the grass is, a 13.5-25 harris bipod can be very useful. I use one when the soybeans get too tall.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brush-hog shooting lanes to favor wind </div></div>

This would be my suggestion. You could also find a side of the field you want to be on and construct yourself a berm say 5 or 6 ft high maybe higher if you want to create a snipers nest in the center, this would get you above the grass and still give ya a low profile. If this isn't what ya want, get a ground blind and brush it in with natural vegetation. That field could be your gold mine especially with the water hole.