• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting for the blind

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
I have a step son who was blinded when he was 7yo. he is now 12yo and would like to go deer hunting with me. Im from Illinois and can only use slug guns. Im trying to think of a way that i could be his eyes for him while he hold the gun. any help please....

Re: hunting for the blind

Check out this link, good info here.

Interesting thought (you'd have to hunt from a stand or blind) but have a tripod secured gun (plenty of tripod options as seen on snipershide). Have someone make you an extended scope mount (or sighting device) that is either quite a bit higher than the standard mount or 18" or so right or left of a standard mount. You could sit next to your step son and guide him to the target with you looking through the alternate sighting device.

Good for you to try and make this happen!!

http://www.ucp.org/ucp_channeldoc.cfm/1/15/61/61-61/3283

I think jasonk got it right with the first post, if it is legal. Laser's work great if they are gtg where you are hunting. Good luck and I hope you make this happen for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1000,for beng a good father,for taking the time to do this does my old heart good..............good man </div></div>

+10,000 good on you for caring enough to !

I believe there are some riflescopes out there that can take a picture at the time of firing. Maybe it can be modded to use a second remote screen that you are using to talk him into the shot. Or you could use some sort of picatinny mount to hold a camera of some sort. Or you could digiscope and have a remote screen as well. That may work the best as you would have a view of the reticle as well.

Maybe a articulating bench that holds his weapon securely, while you have control of the articulation and aimpoint with a second colaminated (sp) (same plane) He would just have to pull the trigger.

Popeye, if you can throw $1000+ at it and it's legal in your state, you can buy e.g. Elcan Digital Hunter w/ video output and add some sort of external display.

http://www.elcansportingoptics.com/

If you can reach to 100y with a slug gun I'd say it's doable. But if you're shots are restricted to, say 30y, how are you going to communicate with your son without spooking the deer? I'd be concerned also about "buck fever" and trigger control. Enough training at the range should mitigate this...

I did some looking around and found a famous maker laser sight for FOR REM 870 MAG TUBE it's about $50.00 I just got of the phone with the game warden and he advised me that he would research it tonight and see what can be done. going to call me back tommorow. I would like to thank you all who have helped me with this.

While talking to the game warder he told me about when he was younger he helped a hunter who was blinded while in Viet Nam. said they made blinds with straw bales.

I like the Elcan idea. If you need any help with the purchase, I'd be glad to pitch in. It's a worthy cause. I know you are not asking, I'm offering...I hope some others may do the same. I wanna see the video of him killing something for the first time! A trade of sorts.

Buckmasters with Jackie Bushman actually did a show with this very situation, except I think it was hunting partners, not father/son. I believe there was a scope offset enough for the other fellow to see through it. That was years ago. Good luck to you both!!

Sounds like you've found an inexpensive and effective means. May it all work out for you and him. God Bless you.

Man, legal or not, I would hope that any game warden would see this situation and say it was the right thing to do.

Good for you for being a heck of a dad.

The Game Warden got back with me and advised me that he didn't see any laws pertaining to the use of lasers for deer hunting. I ordered the boys deer permit and got the ball rolling. He is very excited about geting to go this year. I'm going to break out the chainsaw and build us a ground blind or maybe one that is elavated incase the corn is not out by the time the season rolls around.

There was an article in the TSRA mag a couple of years ago covering this subject. They used a pistol scope with long eye relief and the hunting partner stood behind him and looked through the scope. I couldn't find the article online, but I have the magazine somewhere. Ill try to find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPEYECOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Game Warden got back with me and advised me that he didn't see any laws pertaining to the use of lasers for deer hunting. I ordered the boys deer permit and got the ball rolling. He is very excited about geting to go this year. I'm going to break out the chainsaw and build us a ground blind or maybe one that is elavated incase the corn is not out by the time the season rolls around. </div></div>

Good for you brother.I hope you and your son have great luck.

Well, I finally got the boy a shotgun togeather that he can shoot. It's a Rem 870 12ga with a 20" rifled barrel, I put the Black Hawk recoil reducer stock on it, and a HOLO type site that i can't remember what brand. We took it to the range last week to get it sighted in and see if he would be able to shoot it. well he said it kicks like a 20ga shotgun. We shot lightfield 2 3/4" shells.

On the back of the box it states that if zeroed at 25yrd it will come back in at 100yrd. we didn't get a change to fire at 100 so i need to take it back and make sure. I sat behind him and had him keep his head up so i could look over his shoulder. when he fied he put one right above the two i just put in the center.

Now i need to finish a blind that i'm buliding on the back of an old trailer. That way we can pull it to any where we want to set up.

Good luck with your hunt. I know hunting with lasers is not allowed here, but I'd like to think a warden would be open minded about this. Have fun!

Where there is a will there is a way.

No offense, but you might want to lay out the entire story. There are people with means beyond ours but within our reach that would ensure a good hunt simply to spread the word of a good man and a good son. Each time it is told it is like Brahms to men craving the sound of music.

Help us to ensure the story takes place and is told. PM if necessary.

Great men may win contests but it is the good men that continue the story...

[img:left]
2010-11-20_06-44-55_630.jpg
[/img] The boy got his buck on saturday morning at 6:39am. It field dressed at 120lbs and was taken at 75 yards.

I was behind him in the blind and guided the EO-TECH to the right spot for him and he did the rest. He told me that he didn't even feel the gun kick. I think i was more excited than he was after he shot it. had to take those deep breaths just to calm myself down.

Wow what a great story, I know you are a proud father and kudos to you for your efforts. I'm sure even though he couldn't see, the same or even better thrill was there for both of you!

That is what Hunting is all about!!

reading your story and seeing the pictures completely warmed my heart. there needs to be more people like you in this world. i applaud you for being an incredibly loving father with unending devotion to his son no matter his situation. i sinceraly believe that if everyone had a father such as you, the world would be a much better place.

2010-11-20_08-39-20_834.jpg
[/img]

This is his brother also with his first deer. Im very proud of both of them. they were both taken with in a half hour of each other..

AWESOME!!! Maybe you could serve as an inspiration to more parents. My father took me to the woods on every hunting trip, but felt that my deaf twin brother wouldn't do well, so he stayed at home. I'm working on getting him out now, 30+ years later.

Man this is awesome!!! I have a 5 year old little boy that was born completely blind! I have often wondered if there was a way that I could get him into shooting and hunting and this thread has given me some good ideas! The accurateshooter link with the video output for scopes would be great but I think I can make the Eotech idea work too! Thanks for posting this thread! It has given me some hope for sure!!

Chuck

Great story with an even better ending. Thanks for sharing, you’re definitely a great father.

I wish to thank all of you for your gracious comments and if any one wants to PM me about some new ideals for Brett to hunt that would be fine to.

I just want to tell you and your son congrats on the fine buck. As a father of 3 boys I know how important it was to take them hunting and how gratifing it was to watch them take there first shot there is nothing else like it. Much props to you and everybody that helped.

Tremendous story -- thanks for your devotion to your son and for sharing that with us. You should share with a wider audience, perhaps a national magazine or paper or even possibly a news organization.

Too often I hear of, read about, or bear witness to the actions of man that simply disgust me. Then by accident; I stumble across a story like this, and it helps restore my faith in humanity.....

-Pat

u did an amazing thing for your step son...there are men who wouldnt even put this muh effort in helping there own son. congrats to you and him on an excellent deer and bonding experience

You sir, are a great example of a what a DAD is. Congrats to you and your sons!

2010-11-19_09-05-11_471.jpg
[/img]

This is a 10 point my father shot. This is his first real big deer that he has ever taken. it weighed 170lbs

I'm really happy to see this worked out!

Where there is a will, there is a way. It also seems where your son is, deer are no longer safe
smile.gif

This is just too cool.