• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting in Colorado

308Freek

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2022
Nevada
Looking forward to an Elk hunt in Colorado in 23. My normal haunts are the flat lands of Nevada. I shoot a Remington 700, Krieger 26" 5R bull barrel. My current load is a Hornady match 308 brass with Rem 7 1/2 primer, Varget 43.0 gn, and Berger 175 ELD. 100 yard zero is .3 inch at 2656 fps, temp 56.2 deg at 2180 ft. elevation and 20% humidity. I understand the average elevation is about 6K feet on the Easter Slope. So, what do you recommend for a load change, if any?

Looking forward to an Elk hunt in Colorado in 23. My normal haunts are the flat lands of Nevada. I shoot a Remington 700, Krieger 26" 5R bull barrel. My current load is a Hornady match 308 brass with Rem 7 1/2 primer, Varget 43.0 gn, and Berger 175 ELD. 100 yard zero is .3 inch at 2656 fps, temp 56.2 deg at 2180 ft. elevation and 20% humidity. I understand the average elevation is about 6K feet on the Easter Slope. So, what do you recommend for a load change, if any?

Hornady 308 match brass does not accept Remington 7 1/2 primers. Berger does not make ELD bullets. If you’re going to get loaded, stick to natural intoxicants. Synthetic substances give people drain bammage.

Mea Culpa! Fat fingers (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). You are correct - I'm using 9 1/2 Remington primers and Berger "V"LD's! In anticipation of other corrections etc. my gun shoots the .3 MOA on a Hyskore rest. My last test it shot an SD of 17 and the V-spread was 37. With that said, I'm asking if you think that load configuration works at the altitudes and weather conditions?

Altitude only helps the load, less resistance
depending on where you are coming from, the elevation changes will only start to show beyond 300 - 350 yards, your 100, 200, and 300 should be super close to your normal dope.

Just check zero near the camp, and as long as you are not shooting him too far away you are ok.

Nothing wrong with Varget.

Varget is one of the better choices and if you change you would be forced into a whole work-up with the likelihood you end up in basically the same shape. Take the load you have and practice with it as much as you can to learn your limits.

Not that you asked for this advice, but this is what I tell elk/mule deer rookies when in the Rockies for their first trip...

You will likely have a chance to verify your boresight and test your dope locally when you arrive. If that isn't part of your plans, I would fit that in.

A Ballistic program will give you a good idea of how to compensate for the local conditions compared to where you practice. A 308 should be able to hit a kill zone at the range where your bullet is effective without over agonizing on the issues, but that means showing up with your gun dialed in and your dope verified.

Your target is roughly the size of a basketball and if it knows you are there it won't be still, and there are often rocks or brush in the way. Spend the time learning to hit that under time stress from field positions rather than playing with load searches or benches.

Will you have to sit still in an improvised hide? Have you practiced shooting from sticks or tripods? Can you move and reset quickly without making a racket if necessary? Can you climb a hill and shoot before you catch your breath?

Your whole season might boil down to a few seconds being the difference between filling your tag or telling stories of a glimpse at an elk within range that didn't give you a shot.... or did it?

Good Luck and Best Wishes on your hunt. Looking forward to seeing a photo with your tag filled and a big smile on your face.

I'm more concerned with the distances and elevation changes in that part of the country. Here in the desert the typical shots about 400 yards due to the open terrain - and, it's not that rugged. Most elevation changes are 500 to 800 feet generally in the hunting areas. The physical advice for Colorado is well received. Got-a work out!

Have been hunting and shooting 308/7.62 over 50 years and it's refreshing to here all the well tried advice offered above. Just confirms what I've been doing so I'll use the load I'm comfortable with. But, have never hunted at high elevations and was interested in your recommendations. Thanks to all.

If you have any more sound thoughts just pore it on.