• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting/medium range scope for Grendel

MrFrankZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2013
Midsouth, USA
Hi all. I'm shopping for a scope for my hunting Grendel. I had a DMR on it, now I'm back to 2.5-10 that's pretty amazing but I need just a little more magnification.
It's going on an 18" Grendel AR that I'm trying to get as light as possible because I carry it all over hell and half of Georgia while hunting. My average shot is under 150, but this year I'll have a longer field so 300-400 yards is a possibility.
My priorities are:
1. Weight
2. Light gathering, because deer keep horrible schedules.
3. Glass quality
I'd like to be FFP and around 15x max. I've actually been thinking really hard about that Athlon 2.5-15, but well, having never touched one even at that price I'm not totally sold. The 416i would be optimal, but I'm not looking to dump that much on this particular gun.
Anything I should look hard at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I hunt with a couple rifles topped with an SWFA 3-15 FFP mil/mil-milquad. Love them. Have the 5-20 HD on all my others. Have never had one that didn't track like a SOB. I'll give up a little in glass quality for true tracking and durability. I want the bullet to hit where I have dialed to. Don't care how pretty the deer's coat looks through the scope. I'll admire it when it's in the back of the truck!

I actually had the 5-20 on my 22" Grendel. Liked the scope, not the reticle so much. I think the 3-15 weighs pretty much the same as the PST gen2, not sure how the glass compares though.

I run a NF Atacr F1 4-16 on my 6.5 grendel. Awesome little scope and a perfect fit for my rifle! Even the reviews are mixed on them, I still would like to try a MK6 3-18 one of these days. Great mag range, light weight, and decent glass.

Reactions: luketom03
I have such a Grendel and I had a bunch of scopes on it over the years. While working on the latest High End Tactical comparision, I had both the Mark 6 3-18x44 and ATACR F1 4-16x42 on it. While the ATACR is a better scope, it was heavier than I like on this rifle. It had a notable effect on balance. The Mark 6 was a better match size-wise, but I have a hard time justifying the price.
In the sub-$1000 range, SWFA SS 3-15x42 is probably one of your better options. For more money (but less than the Tangent Thetas of this world), take a looks at Bushnell Long Range Hunter 4.5-18x44.

New Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 looks promising, but I need to test it first.

ILya

Reactions: MrFrankZ
I'd love to be able to justify ATACR or Mk6, but I can't do that for a gun that doesn't get much shooting time. I'm looking at the SWFA and PST Gen 2.

Another vote for the MK6 3-18. It's a great fit on these rifles.

d2ef2077fc26ea783d259ddd95feccbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same place about 4 years ago. I bought the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44 and think highly of it especially on an AR. I like it much better than the NXS 2.5-10x24 that was on the AR previously. The glass is superb on mine which isn't easy to come by in this price range and there is nothing huge that sticks out for me to dislike it.

When the Ares 2.5-15x50 comes out I could change my mind but I doubt I'll be making the move over. For other rifles I will change over to the Ares.

I have a similarly built Grendel and it has ended up with a NF 4-14 SHV F1 on it. Seems to be a great fit as I use this rifle primarily for deer hunting in Virginia.

I know you said FFP, but another good scope albeit SFP is the Vortex Razor LH 3-15. Good glass, lightweight, but has 1" tube ( if I remember correctly) and meh turrets. I think for a 6.5G deer hunting rifle, it'd also be a nice fit.

I put a Bushnell LRTSi 3-12x44mm on my CTR and like it a lot at first glance. I won't get to shoot for a few days though :-(

It has a locking windage turret and ZS on the elevation.

Tikka_T3xH_CTR_1.jpg

I really like the Nightforce SHV, it's a lot of scope for under $1,000. The 3-10 is a good hunting range and plenty bright at dusk.

SHV or the PST gen 2 if the MK6 is out.

To echo what others have said, I've tried both a Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44 and a Mark 6 3-18 on my 18" Grendel. They were both excellent and the Mark 6 is still on the Grendel, the LRHS got moved to my main hunting rifle. If the Mk6 is too much, I think the LRHS is probably the best option you have. The SHV F1 4-14x50 mentioned earlier also seems like a good match, but I've never used one.