• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting Rifle

Sgtvandy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2020
Need some help y’all. First time ever posting so Thanks for allowing me access to site. I grew up shooting a Beautiful H-S 300 WM but I’m over the recoil and I find my self flinching at the trigger and not enjoying a day of sighting/shooting the weapon.
Primarily will be a hunting rifle with Swarovski X5I for optics. I love the individuality of a custom or semi-custom but don’t want to wait a year. I’m willing to spend the money for quality so please point me in a direction. I primarily hunt mostly whitetail/Muley and would love an opportunity to do an elk hunt to give you an idea on caliber, I’m thinking 7mm-08, 6.5cm, 270win or 6.5prc.
I’ve looked at kimber, Christianson Arms ridgeline, Cooper, H-S, Bergara, Proof and Tikka.
Thoughts......

I would look at the Savage Precision/Stealth 110. Savage is known for its out of the box accuracy. I will warn you they do have a hard bolt lift. I was able to ease that issue with a little work on my end. If you can get pass that, I think the savage will fit the bill. I have owned several Savages and with the right load are .5 MOA rifles. My brother has the Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor and loves it. I am building a 6.5 CM on a Savage Model 12 action. I just purchased all the components. Can't wait to build it. This is just a three shot group at 100 yards testing seating depth. BTW the picture below is .050 off the lands and a ten shot string yields a SD of 10.1. Yes it is just a three shot group but with a sporter barrel. It is .051 MOA. This is my Savage 110 in 30-06 with Nosler 168 ABLR and RL 16.

IMG_9227.jpg

Appreciate the info, I’d take that group all day. I’m looking at savages now!

Appreciate the info, I’d take that group all day. I’m looking at savages now!
I tested off the lands .010 group .685, .020 group .6, .030 group .85 and .040 group 1.1. the winner in my book was .050 at .051 MOA.

They got a 6.5cm ready to ship according to website I saw yesterday, I’m going to contact them tomorrow for weight looks like a heavy barrel but Maybe I’m being to picky

A Mcwhorter would be a good choice if you where concered about weight. They seem to have alot of builds with Proof carbon barrels. But they are kinda tough on the ole wallet

Reactions: eddie102870
Just my 2 cents...... All the previous recomendations would be great choices, but also look at the Winchester Model 70 extreme weather ss. Light weight sporter barrelled and flutted with a bell and carlson stock from the factory. I purchased one about three years ago in 30 O6 and was very pleased with both build quality and accuracy. Winchester at the 2020 shot show revealed a new Model 70 called Extreme weather tungston, ceracoted in tungston gray color with the bell an carlson stock. I will most likely pick one up when it hits the market in 300 win mag for bear and elk.
I used to hunt with a Rem 700 milspec 5R 308 and realized early on it was not fun to lug around a heavy barrelled gun in the woods´for any length of time. Bought the winchester and never looked back. Good luck and stay safe.

Reactions: DJL2
For the money Tikka is great and it's very hard to beat a 7mm-08. I think that it is a great combination of power, barrel life, bullet travel, and so forth. If you have the money GAP is great and they have some ready to ship now. I really like Sako as well.

Reactions: 260284
For the money Tikka is great and it's very hard to beat a 7mm-08. I think that it is a great combination of power, barrel life, bullet travel, and so forth. If you have the money GAP is great and they have some ready to ship now. I really like Sako as well.

+1 on 7-08 on everything from elk to deer to speed goats
+1 on Tikka and Kimber for ready out of box.

GL
DT

Reactions: 260284
Appreciate all the good info, thanks a ton! I’m really looking at 7-08. But one more series of question and valuable opinions:
I dumped a 300 win mag shooting 180g due to recoil and flinching at trigger.
According to chuck Hawkes rifle recoil table the 300 win has approx 25 recoil energy with the 7mm shooting 160 at a 20 recoil energy and a 270 with 130 grains at a 16. Now I’ve shot the 300 and dumped and I’ve shot the 270 and was fine will the 7mm really be equal to a 300 like everyone says? Seems it splits the middle numerically so I guess I’m asking to help me either eliminate or pick 7mm-08. Again would be primarily a hunting rifle.
North America minus Alaska realistically and I do not reload. Can’t afford both right now and want to not regret my big purchase. Disclaimer gun shop has a custom 7mm in stock that has me waivering but I think it maybe my impatience clouding my judgement.

I think you must have been looking at the 7 rem mag. 7mm-08 recoil is in the 12-13lb recoil area.

Reactions: D_TROS
Get a break and wear electronic muffs when hunting. Your 300 would feel like a 12# 243 with a good break. I wear Walkers game ear muffs hunting and wonder why it took so long to adopt them. I track my game vs sit and wait for them. The enhanced hearing allows me to hear them get up or shift their feet presumably to get a look at me when close. The hearing protection from a non braked rifle is welcomed. In a braked rifle it is a must. I've shot once without hearing protection with a brake never again.
As far as rifles find one that fits you. Then find the cartridge that fills the requirements you want. A bad stock design will hurt you just like a magnum. I have a sub six pound 06 that manages recoil very well due to perfect fit. I once shot an older 700 in 06 that was 8ish pounds that were worse than the 300 wby I hunted with. The drop in the comb just made that rifle suck to shoot.

Yeah Ill def. go with some hearing protection. The rifle will def. have a break my old 300wm had one and I too shot a deer from an enclosed deer stand and paid that price for a week. Guys I posted a new thead on my dilemna so Im sorry for being redundant.
Appreciate the feedback!

Most say that a 7mm-08 is less than a 270 win. Just remember that when people tell you that this cartridge recoils less than this cartridge take it with a grain of salt. Do both rifles weigh the same and fit the shooter the same? It is possible for a 20lb 300 to have less recoil then a 5lb 7mm-08. But that isn't apples to apples. I think 408w is right. 20 of recoil sounds like a 7 mag

I have a small fortune in hunting rifles and often wish I had just bought a tikka and been done with it.

Reactions: Lightning8
Need some help y’all. First time ever posting so Thanks for allowing me access to site. I grew up shooting a Beautiful H-S 300 WM but I’m over the recoil and I find my self flinching at the trigger and not enjoying a day of sighting/shooting the weapon.
Primarily will be a hunting rifle with Swarovski X5I for optics. I love the individuality of a custom or semi-custom but don’t want to wait a year. I’m willing to spend the money for quality so please point me in a direction. I primarily hunt mostly whitetail/Muley and would love an opportunity to do an elk hunt to give you an idea on caliber, I’m thinking 7mm-08, 6.5cm, 270win or 6.5prc.
I’ve looked at kimber, Christianson Arms ridgeline, Cooper, H-S, Bergara, Proof and Tikka.
Thoughts......
I can 100% recommend the Howa 1500. You can find this rifle in 10 calibers. .223, .22-250, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308, .270, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 Win Mag.

This rifle right out of the box, no matter the version is Sub MOA groupings. If the scope you chose is quality for the shooter, than you should easily be able to shoot sub MOA. The rifle comes with a Hogue Overmold stock, which I was a little nervous about when ordering it, but I came to the pleasant realization that the stock is amazing. (I have the 7mm Rem Mag version, and the gun barely kicks at all.)

It has a scope mount reciever on the barrel in front and behind the action, so you can mount picatinny rails, weaver, ducktail, and all sorts of mounts that should work for your scope.

My family has 2 Howa 1500's, Mine in 7mm Mag, and my dad's in .30-06, and since both of them work amazing, it's fair to say that this rifle, no matter the caliber, is amazing.

I remember looking at Chuck Hawks' website back in the day and choosing a 7mm08 because it's recoil was on the threshold of force where most people experience flinching. The increased recoil of a lightweight hunting rifle can easily be counteracted with a good muzzle brake. A well engineering muzzle brake can reduce recoil by +/- 40%. Can't go wrong with a Area 419 Hellfire brake or a APA little bastard brake. If weight is of upmost concern there are titanium brakes available as well.

Most of the rifle brands you listed should come with a threaded muzzle so attaching a muzzle brake will be accomplishable. Like others have said, invest in a good set of ear protection.

The 7mm08 I have is extremely effective for whitetails. I'm confident it would be adequate for elk; my last elk i shot was with a .308 and with a proper bullet and shot placement you will be good to go with the 7mm08.

We have a lot of hunters come through with Christensen Arms rifles. All of them shoot very well.

I picked up a Weatherby Mark V Carbon mark a couple of weeks back that I really the the feel and handling. Waiting on rings so I can out some rounds through it though. It's in 6.5 cm.

For a "kick around in the woods" rifle, a Howa 1500 can't hardly be beaten.

You mention semi- custom.... pick up a Howa 1500 barreled actionin the caliber of your choice from Brownells, drop it into any stock and accessorize as desired.

I'm 2 for 2 on buying Howas that just plain shoot... can't recommend them enough for the price.

If it’s mainly hunting, just snag a Model 70 in a flavor of your choice. They come chambered in 6.5Creed now, and won’t break the bank.

I've had a couple CA rifles and was impressed with both (ridgeline and classic). I've also owned a handful of Kimbers, I wouldn't reccomend one for the recoil sensitive. I don't think I am overly recoil sensitive, but I have to try really hard to shoot a kimber. I also have come to the conclusion that 7lbs bare is about the perfect blend of portability and shootability. YMMV.

IMO the 7mmRM was pretty close the 30-06 in recoil.

I like Tikka and 7-08. Noticeably more recoil on my 7-08 (162) than my .260 (140). The 7-08 is .1 mil less to 1k for me But 26” vs 20” barrel. lots of good 7mm bullets available but not a lot of factory ammo options in 7-08. If you’re only buying factory ammo, 6.5cm all day. Still tikka though.

I love me a Winchester model 70 or a Howa 1500 so those suggesting these rifles are giving you great suggestions. I've got both and they shoot very very well. I consider them far superior to the typical rem700 which many hold as some sort of golden standard.

One thing I forgot to add; I’ve noticed with my hunting rifle (30-06), that when I’m in the field and take a shot with it, I don’t even notice the recoil. But something like a 308, 7mm-08, etc should be very manageable. If I didn’t have my 06, I’d have a 308 or 7-08 Model 70.

Reactions: stello1001
Have you checked out Seekins Precision? I’m also looking for a new hunting rifle and I think I’ve settled on a Seekins PH2 in 6.5PRC. Seems like it meets all of your needs.

Can’t really go wrong with a 7mm08. The Tikka T3 was notorious for their hard rubber recoil pad which doesn’t really mitigate recoil very well. An aftermarket pad, or the pad on the newer T3X does much better.

And a 7mm08 will kill a big cow elk at 370 yards...

34D88144-3329-4ECC-8F12-AC4764F8AA28.jpeg

Reactions: Charlie112
My hunting implements have always been .30-'06's. I Gifted my M70 Featherweight to my SIL and I miss it still. I'm buried in rifle/handloading projects right now, but my replacement rifle is a Savage Axis II 30-06 with a Boyd's replacement stock.

When I first got it, I soon decided that the stock and scope mount provided were just not gonna get it for me. I replaced them with a EGW steel extended PIC base, and the stock with a nice Boyd's Savage Axis II LA unit. The ergonomics are far nicer, and the change essentially saved the rifle for me.

Practice is essential for me, and I use Rem 125gr Core-Lokt, or Hornady Custom 125gr SST for practice, smaller game, and shorter distances. For bigger game and full distance hunting, I use the 165gr loads from several sources.

MY FGMM clone handload is 168SMK with 48.1gr IMR-4064 in commercial brass, and the same load with the 165SGK for hunting. Both group sub MOA off the bench at 200yd, and the POI difference between the two is less than 2" at that distance.

Greg

Nothing wrong with a 30-06 but it has a few drawbacks.

1st it's long action making for a longer heavier package
2nd recoil gets up there to a lot of peoples threshold

It does about everything good but it's been said that it isn't the best for anything. It's beloved by many and has quite a history.

Many guys are recommending the 6.5 creedmore which is great for long range target shooting but I prefer a 7mm-08 for hunting distances. I just think it has a little more knock down power making it more versitile for bigger game. I wouldn't shoot an Elk with a 6.5 but would with a 7-08 or 308. A 6.5 will kill it but after a 6.5 bullet zips through I think it may run farther than I like and could lead to lost game.

In any case you need to be using good HUNTING bullets designed for the game your after. I know that a lot of guys tell stories and post pictures of game killed with a Sierra Matching or a Hornady A Max. I also have a friend who likes to go to Vegas and is always quick to tell me about the time he won this much or that. He doesn't ever tell me about the times he lost.

Can’t really go wrong with a 7mm08. The Tikka T3 was notorious for their hard rubber recoil pad which doesn’t really mitigate recoil very well. An aftermarket pad, or the pad on the newer T3X does much better.

And a 7mm08 will kill a big cow elk at 370 yards...

Agreed, 7mm-08 and tikka are a great combo.

It’s not on your list, but I find 280ai recoil really manageable and it’s a great hunting round for elk and deer. The Kimber rifles are mostly built to be lite so will have a fair amount of recoil, but that’s always the trade off (weight for recoil). I love my proof barrel on a custom rifle (it shoots box ammo well and handloads are awesome) so of your choices I would lean towards it, if recoil is your main concern you could always run a brake or suppressor (again more trade offs).

Let us know what you pick.

Reactions: shanejohnson2002
I second the 280 Ackley but only if you reload. Nosler makes ammunition but it is expensive

Reloading isn't necessary. It'll safely (and accurately) fire standard. 280 ammo.

That said, reloading would certainly let you get the most from it.

For the price of some of the rifles you mentioned, you could have a semi-custom. 80% of your practical accuracy is in the barrel, and I’ll pick a factory action with a barrel chambered by Matthew Stewart (my personal favorite) over any of those other options.

And if I’m not handloading, I’m gonna have a hard time picking the 7-08 over the 6.5 Creedmoor. Better BC, more COAL latitude (if I want to handload), and most importantly the factory ammo is dialed in better. Another thing I would consider is the rule of .100 as it pertains to barrel length, contour size, bore diameter, and thread ID, that .010 will help a little. I’m not saying the 7-08 is a par choice, it’s excellent, but there are reasons I would opt for the Creed.

That’s depends on which reamer is used. If both are SAAMI, that’s not true.

Just did some reading on it....first time I've heard of the change (oddly enough). And I was considering a 280AI for precisely this reason.

Looks like Remington had to go and screw up a good thing again.

Yeah, it’s a bit odd. Leaves potentially dangerous situations for both 280 AI dimensions, but makes the Nosler brass usable for the other 06 based AI cases.

Reactions: shanejohnson2002
I have been hunting in Wyoming and walking a lot carrying a ruck. I got a Kimber Montana in 280AI and I use the Hornady Precision Hunter 162 ELDX. The Montana has a factory muzzle brake and that really tames down the 280AI in a lightweight package. Nosler often puts their 280AI on sale on their Pro Shop. I reload so I load 280AI for zero and practice before hunting season.

Thoughts......
What is your budget?

I like the 30-06 for the terminal aspect, and in many cases, the accuracy. When I set up to shoot (I "still hunt"), my first priority is to contain the hunt and the retrieval to distances where a 70+ slim and not especially fit individual can manage the trek out and in, and the dressing out there. In these circumstances, the accuracy and terminal performance bear a premium; and the 30-06 has always delivered these things for me.

While I put much time and effort into deriving higher performance rifle upgrades to affordable platforms for target shooting; the hunter has always been a far more mundane tool for me. It's also the place where the larger manufacturers have concentrated, and IMHO, excelled. Their rifles do the necessary things without excessive fanfare, tend to be far more affordable, and due to volume production, seem to have better performance, a more affordable price point, and some good features. Plsesnts=ed with the coices of Rem, Win, and sav; the Savage Axis line has caught my eye as an afordable baseline rifle than lends itself to user upgrades well enough. They have also historically had some flaws in the Axis line, but they are also user upgradable; and Savage has not overly wasted time in addressing several of them. My updates above predated their product line enhancements, and the Axis II has matured pretty nicely, IMHO.

One of my pet projects has been to develop loads that can utilize Match ammo recipes, with a good accurate hunting bullet substituted. I tried with the 260 and the ELD-X, but for several unrelated reasons, I backed off. I now have an array of Speer Gold Dot rifle bullets in proper diameters and weights; and I plan to put a lot of my effort into this project with them over this coming year.

If my results complement the user reviews I'm reading, I think I'll be on a productive track. But the proof is in the target, both accuracy- and terminal performance-wise; and that requires rolling up sleeves and proving opinions.

Heigh ho, heigh ho...

Greg

Last edited: