• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any .308 Elk/Deer rifle recommendations?

How about a Styer Scout? They run about $1500 and weigh about 7lbs... I'm not sure if they offer a threaded barrel so that might be an added expense?
deer4.jpg

DW

Put it in a Magpul Hunter stock, or a chassis, or something decent that uses AICS pattern mags, get some MDT .308 Win mags without the binder plate (longer COAL), and you'd be gold.
Boyds also makes bottom metal that accepts AICS type mags. Supposed to be drop in and I believe it's made out of aluminum. I haven't seen one yet but it caught my interest.

Update: Here it is. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Ruger-American-AI-Magazine-Kit

My late buddy dropped more elk with his 308 win handloaded with 165 Partition than most will ever see. He was a big guy and could of used a safe full of magnums. 300 yards and under he filled his freezer. Regular old Remington 700 BDL.

First answer Is Tikka for all the previously cited reasons.

But I will also put a plug in for the Steyr Scout. Your stated use conditions are what it was designed to excel at. No one will be posting groups with their SS, because it’s probably a 1 to 1.5 moa rifle. But the handling characteristics are quite good and a lot of small details are included. I would mount a conventional LPVO of some type to cover your 90% likely shots. It is threaded, but with a non-standard pitch; and adapters can be found. I don’t like the Ching-sling as much as a modern adjustable 2-point like the Vickers or VTac.

I consider it a very light, quick, handy, hard-hitting carbine that will kill anything I’m likely to hunt under 300. And I can stretch mine to 400 if I have to.

Choose your projectile then find a rifle with a twist rate to stabilize it. The reason I say that is I, you do what you want, would shoot a mono bullet that's pretty heavy for elk.

Reactions: DurangoAl
I picked up my Tikka UPR and am putting it all together now.

Perttime - I bought have a sack full of rattle cans. If I can bring myself to paint it(and it turns out well!) I will post a pic.

Many thanks for everyone that posted recommendations here.
I really enjoyed looking up all the suggested guns and learned a ton - thank you!

700 AAC-SD. Had one I regret selling, it was very accurate. Half your budget. 16 or 20" barrel. Hogue stock was rubberized and very grippy, I loved carrying it.

Yeah, this rifle adventure started recently for me when a friend needed me to help get rid of some prairie dogs and my Dad gave me a mint 1976 Rem BDL .223 from his safe. It doesn't fit me very well, and after spending a bunch of time on this site, I couldn't resist building a new .223 around a KRG Bravo/Origin action. So far, the Rem is still shooting tighter groups - I'm keeping it!

I'm looking to get a dedicated elk/deer hunting rifle in .308 (I'm pretty committed to this caliber, so don't want to start that debate). Max range ~ 350 yards where I will hunt.

If you have one you love, I'd like to hear it.

I am looking for:
1) light
2) suppressor ready
3) shorter barrel, maybe 18-20"
4) Budget not firm, but maybe under $1500

Current candidates are:

Bergara B-14 Ridge
Browning X-Bolt Speed
I guess there nothing wrong with a Rem 700.

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!
EB484ECB-94E8-456D-9CA6-8EE913A72F8D.jpeg

Tikka T3X CTR SS 308 20 inch barrel, McMillan Edge A3, NF 2.5-10x42 NXS, Dead Air Nomad LT.

The KRG Bravo mentioned by others is also very nice and comfortable. A Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo is very tough to beat for the money for an excellent all-around rifle.

Thanks again for all the help. The project concluded with the Tikka UPR. I probably was a little aggressive going with my "snake in the grass" painting theme, esp. given I have never painted one before, but as the last pic shows, the camo really works in my environment and not terrible for a first effort. Next I want to try a Vietnam Tiger Stripe with one of my other chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_4715.jpeg
    IMG_4715.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 144
Camo looks great! A little different from what I've seen everybody else do recently (y)

Have you had a chance to shoot it?

A savage model 10?

:eek:

But for real, have you looked at Howa 1500s?

Last edited:
Camo looks great! A little different from what I've seen everybody else do recently (y)

Have you had a chance to shoot it?
I was finally able to get out today to get a 100 meter
A savage model 10?

zero it, just using some cheap Federal 150 grain, looks like she's gonna be a shooter!
A savage model 10?

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 51
I looked at the Howa, I was thinking in a Bravo chassis, but they make the 223 and 308 in a "mini" chassis now and I don't think that works with the KRG, so I moved on, but I've heard good things

Thanks again for all the help. The project concluded with the Tikka UPR. I probably was a little aggressive going with my "snake in the grass" painting theme, esp. given I have never painted one before, but as the last pic shows, the camo really works in my environment and not terrible for a first effort. Next I want to try a Vietnam Tiger Stripe with one of my other chassis.

Looks like tikka CTR in a better stock, the one I had shot great. Someone wants to buy my Fuddhammer-06 so now I'm looking at tikkas too, maybe a 6.5 creedmoor but probably 30-06 or 308 to keep things simple.

I looked at the Howa, I was thinking in a Bravo chassis, but they make the 223 and 308 in a "mini" chassis now and I don't think that works with the KRG, so I moved on, but I've heard good things
I think they make .223 sized calibers in the mini chassis. The .308 short action still works with the Bravo. I had one in 6.5cm. For under $1000 it was pretty decent.

The mini action is available in .223, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 and, I believe 6mm arc is coming.
They actually make a lightweight rifle with a carbon fiber barrel, which would be very interesting

Reactions: Modoc
Looks like tikka CTR in a better stock, the one I had shot great. Someone wants to buy my Fuddhammer-06 so now I'm looking at tikkas too, maybe a 6.5 creedmoor but probably 30-06 or 308 to keep things simple.
The stock is really the only difference. When I handled both, I preferred the UPR stock, but can imagine somebody liking the CTR stock for their own reasons.

Looks good. Only suggestion I would make, is to always spread your rings out as far as possible towards the ends. It adds rigidity to the scope tube by minimizing movement/vibrations from the extra weight of the objective and eye piece, especially during recoil and if it happens to get dropped or fall when hunting.

I've actually only handled the CTR and UPR. I much preferred the UPR stock. Works fine with the thumb up.

The UPR stock is lighter than a Bravo chassis. The fore-end of a Bravo is probably stiffer than the UPR, which probably isn't significant on a hunting weight rifle.

... I'm not a fan of the color of the UPR stock. There's examples of painted ones in some threads here. Much better.

Boy, howdy, that one comment about the stock color totally set off a chain of events! I was pretty happy with the paint job, not totally, but was into the creative process, which got me to thinking, even though I really don't mind my Bergara B14r .17 HMR stock...what if it was Southwest-adapted, Mandalorian-themed Vietnam tiger stripe? This is the way.

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    729.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4783.jpeg
    IMG_4783.jpeg
    716.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4788.jpeg
    IMG_4788.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 102
get a Sako 85 Finnlight and a decent scope if you shopped around some for a deal. Guaranteed 1/2 MOA, 5 shot groups out of a very light and easy to carry rifle.

The savage ultralight is a fine hunting rifle. Proof carbon fiber barrel really lightens things up. Yeah, the savage bolt is rough as compared, but accuracy is about as good as it gets. I have a 6.5 PRC and shooting apprimately .325 groups at 100 with a Barnes 127 grain LRX. Lead Free is mandated here for hunting. My son is doing the same kind of shooting with both his in 6.5 PRC and 28 Nosler shooting ELDX’s. He shot an 6 inch group last week with the 6.5 PRC at 1340 yards and about the same with his 28 Nosler. Don’t know why the 308 Winchester in the same gun would not be just as accurate for hunting ranges with decent glass and the right load. Go handle one. If you can over the bolt, they are shooters and light weight for hunting. I paid $1449 for mine and his were just under that. Depends on where you’re at. I have different rifles, but for hunting the ultralite is hard to beat. I have been thinking on the .308 win in one. .308 win is much much easier on barrels. Just my 2cents.

Thanks, I will check it out. Loving the Tikka in 308. Very comfortable with it out to 300 yards, which is beyond what I need in my part of the Rockies and as far as I have trained with it. Pulled a bull, buck and doe tag for fall, so I will certainly get a chance to put it to work.
I may get into NM antelope, in which case I will come back to these recommendations for other rifles, and longer distance calibers.
Appreciate all the good input.

Thanks, I will check it out. Loving the Tikka in 308. Very comfortable with it out to 300 yards, which is beyond what I need in my part of the Rockies and as far as I have trained with it. Pulled a bull, buck and doe tag for fall, so I will certainly get a chance to put it to work.
I may get into NM antelope, in which case I will come back to these recommendations for other rifles, and longer distance calibers.
Appreciate all the good input.
Good luck with your Hunts! My son had the 7mm mag in a tikka. He says the only the wrong with it was that he got rid of it. It was a tack driver too.

Weatherby vangard comes threaded, has a sub moa guarantee with factory ammo. They are well under your budget and the 7 or 8 I have loaded for will all shoot a good handload in the 1/2-3/4 moa range out to 500 till they heat up. They are a howa so have some aftermarket stocks. Timney makes a good trigger for them. They seem to have been given a once over vs the howa version as far as smoothness of action and consistency to ejection feeding and inlet.
I have recommended these to friends new to bolt action hunting rifles and they all still have them.

Weatherby vangard comes threaded, has a sub moa guarantee with factory ammo. They are well under your budget and the 7 or 8 I have loaded for will all shoot a good handload in the 1/2-3/4 moa range out to 500 till they heat up. They are a howa so have some aftermarket stocks. Timney makes a good trigger for them. They seem to have been given a once over vs the howa version as far as smoothness of action and consistency to ejection feeding and inlet.
I have recommended these to friends new to bolt action hunting rifles and they all still have them.

Thanks, I know Weatherby makes great guns. I have a 1970's Mark XXII that I got from my Dad's safe that is pretty sweet.
I ended up with the Tikka and took a mule deer with it this season.

Also, I never heard the quote in your signature, great line, but...

Thanks, I know Weatherby makes great guns. I have a 1970's Mark XXII that I got from my Dad's safe that is pretty sweet.
I ended up with the Tikka and took a mule deer with it this season.

Also, I never heard the quote in your signature, great line, but...
There were no cartridges in Jefferson's time so the time to load powder patch n ball was considered peaceful is my guess😁