• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting rifle

Bighorn tl3
Manners LRH
Proof sender contour in 300 PRC prefit.
3-18ish scope. Choose what you like.
Estimated weight 7.5 pounds no scope.

If you want to go off the shelf I can't recommend this rifle enough, mine is an absolute hammer and crazy light. (6lb 300 PRC, SA is 5.5lb).

Reactions: reubenski
I live in elk country, I have killed them with cartridges as small/weak as 6.8spc and as large/powerful as 338 Lapua. Lately I have been using a 6.5 Sherman Short mag shooting a 122gr PVA for all of my western big game.

Putting a quality bullet where it matters is more important than caliber for elk, deer, and black bears. That said a 300wsm shooting a 180-200gr bullet would be an excellent do all hunting chambering. If you already have a Origin short action build a barrel and bolt swap would be a cheap way to have a rifle your only going to use sometimes.

Reactions: The D
I will help you spend $$$ here's your 7PRC then put a NF on it done 😂...

Op, there are worse plans than this…

I've been blessed to live and hunt in CO for 25 some odd years. As a family we have killed a lot of critters here. As has been mentioned, bullets matter more than headstamps. If I didn't reload, I'd buy only a 7mm Rem, a 30-06, a 270, 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor. Then buy a Tikka, a Nightforce NXS 2-10, Sportsmatch rings, and start shooting. If the gun liked one factory ammo a lot, I'd buy 10-20 boxes and be set. Nice thing is if the first Tikka doesn't shoot great, sell it for a hundred dollar loss and buy another Tikka.

If you buy a 7mm PRC, the ammo costs are going to preclude you from shooting enough for it to be worthwhile. Spend the money saved on other hunts or family.

There is plenty 7 PRC ammo on the shelves around here. My buddy has picked up several hundred rounds for himself and several hundred for hi old man. I’ve seen it in small town gunshops as well. Hornady seems to be pumping it out.

- Bighorn Origin Action ($900)
- Proof Carbon pre-fit in 6.5 PRC ($1049)
- KRG Bravo ($350)
- Trigger of your choice (~$200)

Puts you right at ~$2500. Weight is approximately ~8 lbs (with 22" proof barrel) before scope and accessories.
TL3, 24" Proof carbon 6.5 PRC, KRG, TriggerTech, NF NX8 2.5-22 + rings = 10#8oz

Personally i'd suggest something a little 'bigger' for elk and bear. I'd use my 300wsm or a possible new 7prc.

Reactions: kthomas
There is plenty 7 PRC ammo on the shelves around here. My buddy has picked up several hundred rounds for himself and several hundred for hi old man. I’ve seen it in small town gunshops as well. Hornady seems to be pumping it out.
where are you seeing it and what prices are you seeing, thanks

Lol, $5 a round. For a Hornady bullet and brass.

For 0fps increase on the existing equivalents?

I don't get it.
What existing 7mm equivalent has factory match hunting ammo with factory rifles throated long enough and twisted fast enough to shoot high BC heavies. This is the recipe that makes the PRC cartridges successful.

For hand-loaders with custom chambers, yeah not such a big deal.

Reactions: Supersubes
I wouldn't judge 7PRC ammo prices this early on. For awhile 6.5 PRC was the latest hotness & factory ammo was crazy. Now, you can buy online for $44/box. You can pick-up 300PRC ELDM ammo for about $45/box, and Mile High has had some sales for even cheaper. 7PRC will be the hotness for the next little bit, but I'd expect ammo prices to even out.

7rem mag. Flat shooter, good terminal energy, abundant ammo availability and bullet choices.

5 yrs from now then maybe 7prc will have the ammo availability of the 7RM does today.