• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting Scope for Mid-Long Range

nksmfamjp

Handloader
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Central OH
  • What is the platform for the scope? Custom hunting rifle...Win 70 trued, Brux 1:10 barrel 24”, B&C stock

• What cartridge are you shooting?
  • 300 Sherman...about ballistics of 300 WSM

• What is your intended use...
  • hunting elk and deer in big country...maybe 600 yd max

• What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Legal hunting hours....shots in last hour will be shorter.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 25-600 yds

• Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, mil-mil, reticle shots primarily, sub 32 oz, not super tall turrets

• What is the price range you can afford? Ideally sub $1500

• So what are you thinking? I have something in mind but it is $2000, so I’m checking the hide for some mind expansion!

Athlon Optics Ares BTR GEN 2 2.5-15x50 - APLR3 FFP IR MIL
This Ares BTR 2.5-15×50 Model has APLR3 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it.

• HD Glass: HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
  • One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.

Magnification2.5-15
Objective Lens Diameter50 mm
Reticle APLR3 FFP IR MIL, Glass Etched illuminated
Surface FinishMatte
Lens CoatingWide Band Fully Multicoated
Extra CoatingXtra Protective Coating
Tube Material6061 Aluminium
Tube Diameter30 mm
Exit Pupil 11.1-3.3 mm
Eye Relief3.9"
Field of View @100 yards41.8-6.8 ft
Click Value0.1 mil
Adjustment range per rotation10 mil
Total Elevation Adjustment29 mil
Total Windage Adjustment29 mil
Turret StyleExposed Direct Dial
Parallax AdjustmentSide Focus – 10 yards to infinity
Purging MaterialArgon
Length13.8 "
Weight27.3 oz

Reactions: Lesch and DJL2
I just bought what Doug suggested...from Doug...if you're not pressed for time, I'll let you know how it works out. To be fair, my custom M70 is a .30-06 and has a different optic and this is going on a Tikka...so, it's not exactly the same situation, heh.

Reactions: nksmfamjp
+1 on Leupold Mark 5, I have the 3.6-18 on my elk rig - it’s comparatively light and I have only had a good experience with it

That said I just bought the Ares to try out on a 6 creedmoor, but have not really worked it out yet.

If you can find a used Bushnell LRHS... I've been running one since they came out. Optically excellent for the price, repeatable, and the reticle is usable at low power. It started on a .308, then a .300 wsm and now a 6.5 Creedmoor. Zero issues.

Last edited:
LRHS/LRTS 3-12 or 4.5-18
Mk5 3.6-18
ATACR 4-16x42
ATACR 4-16x50
AMG 6-26 (although this might have a low mag too high)
NX8 4-32x50

Athlon Optics Ares BTR GEN 2 2.5-15x50 - APLR3 FFP IR MIL
This Ares BTR 2.5-15×50 Model has APLR3 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it.

• HD Glass: HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
  • One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.

Magnification2.5-15
Objective Lens Diameter50 mm
ReticleAPLR3 FFP IR MIL, Glass Etched illuminated
Surface FinishMatte
Lens CoatingWide Band Fully Multicoated
Extra CoatingXtra Protective Coating
Tube Material6061 Aluminium
Tube Diameter30 mm
Exit Pupil11.1-3.3 mm
Eye Relief3.9"
Field of View @100 yards41.8-6.8 ft
Click Value0.1 mil
Adjustment range per rotation10 mil
Total Elevation Adjustment29 mil
Total Windage Adjustment29 mil
Turret StyleExposed Direct Dial
Parallax AdjustmentSide Focus – 10 yards to infinity
Purging MaterialArgon
Length13.8 "
Weight27.3 oz
I am literally looking at this scope right now. Thoughts on using this for a Rem 700 VSSF 22-250 for popping some pasture poodles in the 300-500 yds range. I mean its not like I'm gonna have to dial that much elevation at 4000+ fps. 😄

Last edited:
Thoughts on filling this role with the Vortex PST Gen ii 5-25x50 with the newest reticle that move the numbers out? Seems like a pretty good choice after scanning some trees at 1000 yds yesterday.

PST GEN II would be fine. I am split between NX8 & Mark 5HD... an illuminated XTR III would be my first choice. For this reason, I think I am going to pick up a Strike Eagle 5-25 and just throw it on a 6ARC build down the road or sell it when I finally decided on a $1500+ scope.

What puts the Ares BTR 2.5-15×50 ahead of the Steiner P4xi in this situation? Just curious as the Steiner gets a lot of praise.

What puts the Ares BTR 2.5-15×50 ahead of the Steiner P4xi in this situation? Just curious as the Steiner gets a lot of praise.
Well I have a P4XI 4-16×56 and I also have an Athlon Cronus BTR. I think they both have great glass. But the Steiner is just a little more crisp. The Cronus has better glass than the Ares. So I definitely say Steiner is a little better. Just my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ares either. Athlon's reticle is a little thicker than Steiner's SCR reticle, which probably helps in the low magnifications. Also the illumination in the Athlon is brighter. Just think that Steiners glass is pretty impressive. Something else to consider is Meopta. Other than the Cronus I do believe all Athlon's are Chinese glass. I am kind of partial to Japanese or German glass. I bought the P4XI for my hunting rifle and I will be switching back to a second focal plane and go back to just a plex reticle for hunting. I will be putting either a Meopta Meostar or a Swarovski. My Steiner is awesome but I just think for me I dont need a fancy reticle or first focal plane. I will be going back to a 3-12x50 or 2.5-15×50. I usually keep my scope in the low magnification and the reticle is just a little to hard to find against timber and what not. Just my opinion.

I might suggest something like a Burris MTAC 4.5-14x. It is mil/mil, SFP.

A mil/mil scope would generally tend towards being an FFP, but I haven’t taken a look at their offerings for a while.

I might suggest something like a Burris MTAC 4.5-14x. It is mil/mil, SFP.

I ended up going Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 MRAD FFP.
Nice. Glass is great I think. I going to end up with the meostar SFP 2.5-15×56. For elk and deer there is such a variety of situations that I felt ffp wasn't for me. Just curious what reticle did you go with?

Nice. Glass is great I think. I going to end up with the meostar SFP 2.5-15×56. For elk and deer there is such a variety of situations that I felt ffp wasn't for me. Just curious what reticle did you go with?
I think it was called the R1 MRAD.

I just bought what Doug suggested...from Doug...if you're not pressed for time, I'll let you know how it works out. To be fair, my custom M70 is a .30-06 and has a different optic and this is going on a Tikka...so, it's not exactly the same situation, heh.
How’s it working out?

I really like the combo of features on the bushnell LRTS 4.5-18. Doug at cameraland has them for $749 and don’t know if you can beat it for the price.

Reactions: YotaEer