• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting Scope Reticle

Re: Hunting Scope Reticle

A standard fine duplex. It's very simple. There is also 4 MOA (on 10x on most scopes) from the center cross hair to where the line goes thin to thick. I can use the this 4 MOA for hold-overs and leads on moving coyotes. It works very well. Duplex reticles will subtend a certain amount at there max power (whether it be 3x, 9x or 10x), and once you know this distance, apply it to your ammo, and you're set.

Dagger,

This is a depends question:

Depends on where you hunt: Plains, timber, woods, tundra, et al
Depends on what you hunt: Deer @ 0 dark 30, hogs, varmints,
Depends on how you hunt: Still hunt, stand, drives,
Depends on your scope: FFP or SFP
Depends on the yardage: DG @ under 50 yds, medium game north of 500 yds. et al

So one size/type reticle does not fit all hunting situations. But if I had to offer an opinion:

Game under 150 yds: a German #4 type post and crosshairs in a SFP variable under 6x.

Game over that range: FFP scope with an Illuminated Mil based Reticle, in the 2.5-10 and up range.

IMHO,

Bob

Medium to Heavy Cross hair, Mostly because I'm shooting about 100 yrds give or take 50yrds. And I see no benefit in the addition of anything else in the reticle other than the x. I've had the Burris Ballistics plex but really had no experience using the hold overs hunting with it. I did figure out the hold overs on it (too much work). The simpler the better for me.

The Zeiss Rapid-Z reticle would be my vote. Has all your windage and elevation hold overs, the calculator on there website will help you dial in your caliber. Once zero'd all you have to do is range the target and estimate wind then pray you hit. Never used it for hunting purposes but it seems like thats what this reticle was designed for.

rz1000_lg.gif

I have switched over to IORs and to me for general hunting the HR5 reticle is the cats ass day or night.

"illuminated center dot (green), 5 mils of holdover/ranging and a scale at the bottom that represents 24" @ 200yds. Bracket your deer, elk, coyote, etc" http://www.valdada.com/reticules.aspx

I use this scope for Coyote hunting and works perfect, Check out the new Randy Andersen Calling All Coyotes Video Truth 7.....Im in it...LOL Both Randy Andersen and Shawn Hyden are using these scopes for this years coyote videos with guns built by Youngs Gunsmithing

All my other scopes have the MP-8 Dot Reticule which I really like too for the rest of my shooting,,,

My favorite general purpose reticle is the Gen II XR. Hunting or target this reticle works great for me.

the most important thing in a hunting reticle is that you can see it at ALL times (low light). A heavy duplex or the German one with the thick square bars at the edges is probably best.

If the reticle is lighted then you can get into something finer although in a point and shoot finer is not better.

Its hard to beat a standard duplex style for general hunting. Pete

ive changed all my scopes hunting and target to mildot mil/mil. not to everyones taste but they work for me . all do the same thing so no difference in swapping from 1 rifle to the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive changed all my scopes hunting and target to mildot mil/mil. not to everyones taste but they work for me . all do the same thing so no difference in swapping from 1 rifle to the other. </div></div>

I did the same thing with all Mil. reticals, have not had the need to change all knobs from Min. to Mil.. I have 3 changed over to Mil/Mil. I am just not smart enough to keep changing reticals all the time. It is hard enough to change calibers and barrel lenghts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A standard fine duplex. It's very simple. There is also 4 MOA (on 10x on most scopes) from the center cross hair to where the line goes thin to thick. I can use the this 4 MOA for hold-overs and leads on moving coyotes. It works very well. Duplex reticles will subtend a certain amount at there max power (whether it be 3x, 9x or 10x), and once you know this distance, apply it to your ammo, and you're set. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite general purpose reticle is the Gen II XR. Hunting or target this reticle works great for me. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the most important thing in a hunting reticle is that you can see it at ALL times (low light). A heavy duplex or the German one with the thick square bars at the edges is probably best.

If the reticle is lighted then you can get into something finer although in a point and shoot finer is not better.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A standard fine duplex. It's very simple. There is also 4 MOA (on 10x on most scopes) from the center cross hair to where the line goes thin to thick. I can use the this 4 MOA for hold-overs and leads on moving coyotes. It works very well. Duplex reticles will subtend a certain amount at there max power (whether it be 3x, 9x or 10x), and once you know this distance, apply it to your ammo, and you're set. </div></div>

Also good advice

Standard duplex for me. Most of my shots at game are 50-250 yards. The duplex is simple, no guessing what mark to use and no need for additional range or windage marks.

German Zeiss #8. The thick outer posts are excellent in low light. Having four of them draw the eye to the centre. The gap to the centre is big enough not to obscure the target. The thin inner hairs allow fine shot placement on varmints and when target shooting.

absehenzmzvmv8.gif

I like the mil dot ret. even for hunting. I dont range a animal with it, but its what i am most used to and am quite fond of the wind holds. I use a 4-14 mk4 TMR

I use a standard duplex in a Leupold VX3 w/ the CDS knobs. I don't have the custom dial & just use the 1/4 MOA clicks based on my dope.

My 30.06 hunting load is good to about 450 yards on deer sized game. For anything inside 225 yards, I hold dead on. Outside of 225 yards I start to dial in elevation.

The standard duplex isn't busy; nothing to distract me from the animal & what is going on around it.

This is what works for me, YMMV.

I like a German #4
my main deer rifle is a 308 with a Kahles CL 3-10x50
With the multizero reticle I have 5 preset zeros, 1,2,3, 4 and 500 yards.. and can dial in between those

I could confidently shoot well past legal hunting time on dark overcast evenenings

There are times I have thought about getting an illuminated reticle for this rifle, but I do NOT like anything more than a simple small dot dimly lit for hunting.

A CSX 2.5-10x50 with the ill dot would be nice, but wouldn't enable a shot I couldn't make with the current scope for legal deer hunting...

I've always liked the fine duplex, but I've been using the Zeiss RZ600 and the Nightforce HV ballistic reticles lately. I think I'm going to like them.

I am REALLY liking the Flashdot #9 reticle on the S&B 1.5-6

simple thin crosshairs at the intersection and then when illuminated, a small precise dot gets superimposed over it.

And combined with the circle for fast close in shooting and illumination that is daytime bright or can be turned way, way down for night time use, it just doesn't get any better

running one on my 6.8, I love it.
It's pretty much optical perfection, I wish it were cheaper and a bit lighter, but man.. what a scope
The clarity and resolution are stunning

aimed at the head of a larue steel target at 250 yards (6x6)
easy, easy to make head shots

11142010rangedaydadandm.jpg