• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting Scope suggestions

ETXbeginner

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
East Texas
I’m new to decent glass, so far all I’ve got is a Razor Gen 2, and PST Gen 2. I have a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-10X56 but haven’t convinced myself I like it enough to use on my new hunting rig. Recently picked up a Bergara Wilderness SP in 6.5 cm. Hunting will always be done from a blind, and shot opportunities will never exceed 500 yards. Most will be in the 75-200 yard range. Most important factors are low light performance, ability to dial or hold over for drop, and side parallax adjust (just a preference, not really a must have). Don’t need tons of magnification but would like at least 12x. Price range is $500 to $1000, could splurge a little bit if it would be worth the added cash. Currently thinking the VX5-HD in 3-15X56 Firedot CDS is my best option for the price. Also looking at the 4-16X56 Steiner H4Xi. Any input is much appreciated.

I’m new to decent glass, so far all I’ve got is a Razor Gen 2, and PST Gen 2. I have a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-10X56 but haven’t convinced myself I like it enough to use on my new hunting rig. Recently picked up a Bergara Wilderness SP in 6.5 cm. Hunting will always be done from a blind, and shot opportunities will never exceed 500 yards. Most will be in the 75-200 yard range. Most important factors are low light performance, ability to dial or hold over for drop, and side parallax adjust (just a preference, not really a must have). Don’t need tons of magnification but would like at least 12x. Price range is $500 to $1000, could splurge a little bit if it would be worth the added cash. Currently thinking the VX5-HD in 3-15X56 Firedot CDS is my best option for the price. Also looking at the 4-16X56 Steiner H4Xi. Any input is much appreciated.

4-16X56 Steiner P4xi...........I've got a few extras. You could also buy a brand new one from Cameralandny for $850. That's what I'm using on my hunting rifles. Glass is excellent, tracking spot on, illumination is well done, and low light performance is unmatched for the money, or even for twice the money.

The Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 is one of the best low-light scopes on the market, and is right in that price range. It comes in FFP (R1, my preference) and SFP (R1r), with (RD) or without illumination, with several reticle choices. Glass is nice.

Reactions: ETXbeginner
I scoped my son's Cooper in 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX5-HD in 3-15X44 Firedot CDS. I liked the slightly smaller objective for compactness/low mounting. Great scope--if you need the bigger objective for low light I think it's a great scope in your price range.

I don't trust most lightweight hunting scopes to track or retain zero if they are bumped/dropped, etc. Because of weight, i've settled on the following for hunting rifles: SWFA SS 3-9 HD, Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, Bushnell LRHS/LRTS. Nightforce SHV 3-10 is a good option if you are ok with MOA and capped elevation. Leupy VX series and swaro z3/z5 might work great for someone who sets and forgets turrets and shoots 3 rounds a year to validate zero but I'll carry a few extra ounces and accept i might not resolve the hairs on an animal as closely in exchange for more assurance my bullet will hit where the reticle says it should.

I've found that magnification is nice for punching paper / ringing steel but more than 10x isn't necessary at any range you'll responsibly shoot big game. FOV is more important to gauge other animal body language in the peripheral and make sure you're shooting the right animal IMO.

Reactions: ETXbeginner
If you've got a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000, we can discuss different options. Under $1,0000 you've got great options from NF, Swarovski, Steiner & Meopta to name a few

My choices

-Steiner 4-16 punches well above the $850 they were selling for and has massive obj for low light
-Burris RT15 has FFP, tree retc, locking knobs and 20yd focus oh and weighs 23 ozs
-Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 at 25 ozs
-Bushnell LRTS

Ive owned them all. The trij maybe edges the Steiner for best glass. the Steiner is the only one I regret selling. Still have the RT15 on a rimfire due to 20yd paralax

GL
DT

Reactions: screaminweasil
4-16X56 Steiner P4xi...........I've got a few extras. You could also buy a brand new one from Cameralandny for $850. That's what I'm using on my hunting rifles. Glass is excellent, tracking spot on, illumination is well done, and low light performance is unmatched for the money, or even for twice the money.
I believe that’s what I’m going to do with. Watched some reviews and looked at features and looks like it fits the bill. Hunting timber plots with dense canopy is rough after the deer get spooky and move early. That extra light really comes in to play. I really like the T5Xi compact turrets with the rollover counter, with there was some kind of P4/T5 frankenscope. Saves me a couple hundred dollars over the Leupold. Any ring suggestions? The Steiner can be bought from CL with the mount for $930. The bergara has a Warne 20moa rail. I tried the Trijicon 2.5-10X56 in some Vortex Pro mediums and ran out of down adjustment while still being about 10” high. Scope is a little high but not outrageous, maybe 3/4” over barrel.

Someone said Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 - I can only back this up! super light yet robust!