• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hurricane Sandy

Re: Hurricane Sandy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in Delaware as well.. There is all this wind and rain and stuff
</div></div>

How long did you have your head out the window before you figured it out?

Still blowing and raining like hell but no trees have come down near the house and we still have power (Of course we do, I had a back up generator installed in Aug 2011. Other than weekly self test it has been on once for 12 hours. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around)

377457_10151202408468236_1645987525_n.jpg

Found out this was from September. Still a good picture. Stay safe and dry fellow marksmen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SquarePizza</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real pizza is round.
mad.gif
</div></div>

Of course it is. I make it round, just as my father did, and 33 years of college students have fallen in love with it. But when I was learning to make pizza fast, the pizza peel was old and worn and I had to stretch the corners, making it come out a touch square.

If I was having a bad day, that happened more than I liked, so people would ask me how square the pizza was today.... when I created this online identity, the day was rough so I called myself squarepizza... thus saying bad day in my own way.

Dorky, I know.

But trust me, my pizza is very much round, and thin, and very yummy.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Unless of course it Sicilian......just sayin'

Still thinking about a Kohler gas generator in a 10-15 kW range.

Lost power for about 90 minutes earlier, and then for a few seconds.

Brought out the 2 kW inverter generator, ran some lights, cell phone charger, fan for the fireplace insert, coffee pot, FIOS battery backup so our phones and internet would work, and a refrigerator.

I have a 5.5 kW (7500 W surge) I've run off and on for about ten years. Put in a Generac switch panel and never bothered to wire it into the house circuit. But for several years there we'd lose power for hours to days with every wind storm, ice storm, hot days, rainy days, very cold days. Then BGE put in new underground wiring (it was getting on 35 years) and we only lose power for a couple days a year now.

I've also got a spare 1.2 kW generator to loan out to friends if/when we lose power again.

I'm about 5 miles west of the I-95 corridor, 15 miles North of central DC in what the media love to call "suburban Maryland."

Looking forward to the looter shooter season to start...

Hoping, praying for those of you in harder hit areas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to the looter shooter season to start.</div></div>

Power goes out for long enough, some folks who did nothing to prepare are gonna be like cartoon ants at a picnic.

Yours is a unique perspective, for sure. Hole, stitch, repeat?
laugh.gif

As the saying goes... the island of Manhattan is 9 meals away from the Dark Ages.

Of course, post-apocalyptic Mad Max bikers running down Madison Avenue shooting wrist-crossbows and looting Macys WOULD make for good TV viewing. ;-)

I don't envy Slapchop and some of the NYPD guys if they get a serious blackout. It would not be pretty.

Cheers and stay safe. So far, we're not doing badly up here.

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to the looter shooter season to start.</div></div>

Yours is a unique perspective, for sure. Hole, stitch, repeat?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

More like, Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless of course it Sicilian......just sayin'</div></div>

I do those too, and they do have square corners =)

Speaking of pizza, it looks like we are the only shop open in town tonight. Which is kinda funny since Sandy hasn't made it up this far yet so its pretty tame out.

Tree just went out right across the street and just missed several parked cars. Absolute trick shot. Otherwise, a couple minor brown-outs and the windows are sucking in and out from the swings in pressure. The local creek has gone over the banks one village upstream, but we're fairly well uphill from it.

Dude!! You have got to stop with the pizza commentary. You've got me wanting one BAD right now. We just don't have a really good crust recipe for it yet. Nearest Pizza place is 240 air miles away and there aren't really any truly good pizza places in Fairbanks anyway. Good luck to all of you on the other side of the continent. Stay safe.

Also jonesing for General Tso's chicken right now. I have a good recipe for that just no chicken. I wonder how General Tso's grouse would taste? Might have to go see if I can't hunt me up some yard bird tomorrow.

It's on us. Winds are up, rain is steady but OK. My only concern is for the permanent pavillion tent Celia had me put up this Summer on the deck. So far...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the looting start yet?
It would be racist to show looting on tv. </div></div>

Only if everybody has AR platforms and they start saying rotten stuff under their breath when someone shows up with an AK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ykrvak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude!! You have got to stop with the pizza commentary. You've got me wanting one BAD right now. We just don't have a really good crust recipe for it yet. Nearest Pizza place is 240 air miles away and there aren't really any truly good pizza places in Fairbanks anyway. Good luck to all of you on the other side of the continent. Stay safe. </div></div>

But youve got quiet and stllness that most of only remember and some have never known. Never been up to the Yukon River, but have wanted to ever since reading <span style="text-decoration: underline"> The Cremation of Sam Mcgee</span> by Robert Service. That guy can really spin a tale and make you feel like your there.

I sure hope all of ya'll are doing well. A friend of mine is stuck on Manhattan island, haven't heard from her in a couple of hours. But she's from Texas, so I ain't worried.

Also, some of you might be partaking in the ever delicious MRE. Here's a short story of one romantic dinner completely prepared from MRE's. MRE Dinner Delight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sure hope all of ya'll are doing well. A friend of mine is stuck on Manhattan island, haven't heard from her in a couple of hours. But she's from Texas, so I ain't worried.</div></div>

Southern Manhattan is pretty much dark from around 26th on the West Side and 29th on the East Side, FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sure hope all of ya'll are doing well. A friend of mine is stuck on Manhattan island, haven't heard from her in a couple of hours. But she's from Texas, so I ain't worried.</div></div>

Southern Manhattan is pretty much dark from around 26th on the West Side and 29th on the East Side, FYI. </div></div>

Well, that means she's probably sitting in the dark. I forget exactly where her NYU dorm was, but I remember those numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Photos

Good luck </div></div>

Great photos, thanks.

Well, I am home now. Other than a little rain and a couple assholes that didn't tip, things couldn't have gone smoother thus far.

Hope everyone else is fairing well, I know a lot of flooding in the coastal region. Good luck and stay safe.

Wind is moving good now....rain is driving in bands.

Ocean City, MD Fishing Pier is said to be gone...Ocean has met the Bay. They were flooding at noon yesterday so I can only imagine the overnight...Our local river is over the banks. Interested to see some images from Lewes, Indian River, Dewey and Rehoboth once the sun comes out....

Still breezy and raining but it looks like we made it through in one piece. No trees on the house. I'll be able to tell better about damage when the sun comes up. Prayers to all those north of here that didn't /aren't faring so well.

Had an interesting night - lost power at around 1930 and lost a couple of trees but overall it seems to be calming down. If I get back power today it will be back to normal. The dogs were pretty unnerved by the strong winds and couldn't settle down but I am sure they will sleep all day while I am work.

Things have returned to relative normal already here NY Yates County. No visible damage here in Dundee. None of the trees in sight have any leaves left on them. Local weather radar shows patchy rain moving through our area in a Northwesterly direction, with more organized rain and wind moving Horthward about 100 miles East of us.

So far not too bad here in Broome County, we didn't get as much rain as some had forecast, which is a VERY good thing given the problems we've had with flooding recently. Not over yet, but we've been lucky as of this a.m.

Our relatives outside Scranton PA lost power about 20:00 last PM, but are still posting to FB via cellphone.

As the Sun rises here, no visible evidence of injury or damage in our village, no volunteer fire/EMT callout sirens in the night. Basically, it looks like everyone got smart, brought in anything loose, stayed indoors, and kept informed via TV news.

We got lucky and our sympathies extend to those who had genuine difficulty.

Greg

Good luck to all involved, had a few brother firefighters head that direction. challenging times!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the saying goes... the island of Manhattan is 9 meals away from the Dark Ages. </div></div>

^^^this is true. You should have seen the stuff people were buying before the storm. One poor girl had a box of nutria grain bars, a Gatorade and a box of frosted flakes. Just hilarious.

/guy who live on upper Eastside of Manhattan.

How come no looting and rioting, like with those animals after Hurricane Katrina?

Interesting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come no looting and rioting, like with those animals after Hurricane Katrina?

Interesting... </div></div>

Different population demographic....? Except in Newark
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit... Oh Hell no...
<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Shark Found In Front Yard As Hurricane Sandy Floods New Jersey</span></span>

Shark-in-front-yard.jpg

http://www.inquisitr.com/380406/shark-found-in-front-yard-as-hurricane-sandy-floods-new-jersey/</div></div>

"Just when you thought it was safe to go in the front yard...."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit... Oh Hell no...
<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Shark Found In Front Yard As Hurricane Sandy Floods New Jersey</span></span>

Shark-in-front-yard.jpg

http://www.inquisitr.com/380406/shark-found-in-front-yard-as-hurricane-sandy-floods-new-jersey/</div></div>

"Just when you thought it was safe to go in the front yard...." </div></div>

"You're gonna need a bigger garden gnome ..."

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Pol tours flood-damaged Jersey shore</span></span>

Shark-in-front-yard.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the looting start yet?
It would be racist to show looting on tv. </div></div>

Only if everybody has AR platforms and they start saying rotten stuff under their breath when someone shows up with an AK. </div></div>

Looks like we need ban hurricanes.

On generator as I type. One massive clusterfuck. I will say for certain-there will be NO LOOTING in my AOO.
cool.gif

Here in Morris County, we got no flooding but the 24hour 50-75mph windstorm was terrifying-especially amoung HUGE wood around my home. Thank God no damage. Just a pain in the ass. My prayers are with all of you REALLY suffering.

Didn't lose power but so many tree's down I had to get creative to get out of my neighborhood. Biggest thing I'm worrying about now is how crazy everyone's acting over the gas. Left work last night and literally saw two guys fighting in the middle of the road because the other "cut in line". Local PD had to send a patrol to a few of the municipal parking lots in hopes to catch some people who have been going around siphoning gas from cars.

Seems all the stations who have power, have no gas anymore, those who have gas, have no power to pump it. This is why I fill up at half a tank.

Hey Broker... after watching the mayhem starting to break out... that pix restores at least a little bit of my faith in humanity.

Great picture.

My heart goes out to my brother officers on Staten Island. One of the guys on our dept is ex-NYPD and ex-FDNY. He'es still waiting to hear from some of his friends down there.

Staten Island, esp. Breezy Point (I think that is the neighborhood that got hit by bad fires) is heavily populated by PD, FD and sanitation... it's a working neighborhood and a great family neighborhood. If anyone needs the help and thoughts of the nation right now, it's them. They watch over NYers... hope that NYers return the favor.

Stay safe and recover fast, brothers!

Sirhr