• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Huskemaw?

RBoomK

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2010
Does anyone have any good/bad reviews or info on the Huskemaw brand of riflescope? For $1200 bucks, how do they stack up against a Nightforce, Leupold, Valdada, or Zeiss in this price range?

Thanks for any info.

Re: Huskemaw?

Oh..... Now I remember why I infrequently post questions on this forum. Thanks!

I'm a cynical person so here goes...

For one, they have one model of scope...
I don't see any information on the reticle...
Don't see where it says where it is made...
Only 2 places sell them...
$1200... Can they really compete with the big boys?

this website with reviews...
http://www.longrangestore.com/Huskemaw_5_20_Scope_p/100100.htm
A couple of those sound more like the company trying to rave about their product.

A guy says he bought himself one and 2 of his buddies. Are we talking about $1200 scopes or candy bars?

They sound like they are geared towards high country hunters. Not much there for precision shooters.

Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They sound like they are geared towards high country hunters. Not much there for precision shooters.</div></div>

I think you nailed it.

www.longrangehunting.com has a reasonable amount of information on these. I have looked over it and consider the Huskemaw, but for me it comes down to them being a new guy on the block and not proven like the NF. If you can afford the NF, go that route, you won't go wrong.

You are right, 95LTZ. Huskemaw, is however, made in the same factory where the Japanese produced Nightforce products are made.

They are above average opticaly, I would compare them to an Elite 4200. They are popular with the novice long range shooter due to their T.V. show, which is nothing more than an infomercial with creative editing. They range an elk at 800 turn the dial on their scope to 800 and WHAMO!, the elk goes down. Piece of cake, as it would appear.

The raving reviews are published on the site of their only dealer btw. The scope is good just not $1200. good.

You can get a Leupold CDS (Custom Dial System) that does the same thing for less.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3l-riflescopes/vx-3l-4-5-14x50mm-cds/

Or you can get Kenton Industries to make a dial for many scopes on the market and save some money that way.
http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Bottom line is that there is no magic scope to make long range shooting easy, nothing trumps experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...there is no magic scope to make long range shooting easy, nothing trumps experience. </div></div>
My hero!!

I found a store that sells them its wholesale sports in lacey washington its a chain store so I would think the other stores would have them also they said they had 2 in the store 4 months ago and I looked the other day and they still have 1 in the case.

Those on this site can downgrade the Huskemaw if you like, but since I owned and used one for over 2 years, I will make a comment based on my experience with the scope.
At the time this was my first high scale scope purchase. I put it on a 7 STW, validated my trajectory for a load shooting 168gr Berger's and sent them the information. Got back the custom turret for that load data, and started banging steel at 750 yards. No problem. For a new guy wanting to get into longrange hunting it is a very effective system. When I went out west and hunted at 10,000 elevation, I had them make another custom turret for me. It was spot on, and had a great hunting trip. I like their reticle, windage hold off on the horizontal line. So, laser range your target, dial your yardage, gauge your wind and shoot.
The glass is very good,no complaints.
The scope is about a pound lighter than a Nightforce.
Since that time, their price has gone up,putting them closer to better high end scopes. Also, I have learned more about ballistics, PDA software, ect. and have graduated to Nightforce on my longrange rigs. But that also makes the rifle a pound heavier to.
In summary, they have a very good, simple to use system that will get the job done for 90% of the hunting situations encountered. Is it a tactical scope, no. Wasn't designed to be. Their glass is good, and I will also mention that their customer service was excellent. Had a repair issue that was totally my fault, and they just decided to replace the scope for me. Top notch service.
There are starting to be other options out there for less money, like the PST, but in my opinion you will not go wrong buying a Huskemaw scope.

I bought two Huskemaws over a year ago,and because of my work schedule I have had quite a bit of time to shoot/test them under real conditions out to 1000yds, both just shooting and hunting. Here is an honest view of the scope with the good and bad, but without any bravado or BS.
Clarity - probably not as clear as NF, but just as clear as any of my Leupolds
Tracking - Tracks very well out to a thousand yards and back to two hundred zero every time, which is one of the most important aspects for me.
Reticle - Very well laid out for hunting. Ranges very well to about 500 yards if you are sure of the size of your game. Recently had to use it when my rangefinder took a dump on a hunt and it worked fine with a little practice. Reticle is also very easy to use for hold-offs, but you still gotta be sure of your wind. NO easy way around that!
BDC Turret - works very well and is very simple to use. If you need an extra one do what I did for my second 7STW load. Sand off the color on your click turret, shoot your targets out to about 800 and then use a ballistic software to match the trajectory curve. After that just use a sharpie to write the distances on the turret and put scotch tape over to protect. That solves the problem of going to different altitudes/weather etc. cause all you gotta do is erase the lines, shoot your dope again and cover the new increments with tape. Problem solved.
Junk on lenses - Yup. Got a little on both of mine. Called up and talked to one of the owners and he offered to replace them right then, but said it might disappear later from recoil. It didn't, but since my rifles shoot so well with these particular scopes, I have not wanted to take the time and unnecessary barrel life to shoot new dope with new scopes (there can be slight adjustment differences from scope to scope).
The junk on the lens is the only complaint I have with the scopes. Like anything else if you think you can buy one and kill stuff at 1k you probably are gonna be disappointed, and your gonna loose wounded animals. You gotta put in the time on the range (wind wind wind) , reload properly/carefully, keep good notes, and be willing to replace barrels cause they ain't gonna last forever if you practice with your hunting rig like you should.

Bottom line - I switched my Leupolds off for Huskemaws cause the Huskemaws work better for what like to do which is hunt and practice for hunting. I will probably sell my Leupolds and buy more of them.
Would I rather have NF - Yes. They have a better reputation, a little better clarity but don't come configured the way I want. If they did I might sell my Huskemaws because of length of time in business, reputation and clarity.
Huskemaws made by Nightforce - Nope. Talked to the guys at Nightforce a few months ago and they said they have nothing to do with Huskemaw.

I know this was long, but I hope it helps