• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am about to paint my rem700 … need info.

PLATOONS8

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2009
I have a Remington 700 sps varmint .308 that I am about to put in a Bell and Carlson A5 style stock. The only stock in stock was in real tree camo and not very tacti-cool looking. I know I am going to at least paint it black or olive. What type of paint do you use on your gun stocks? Can you use the same type of paint on the barrels, scopes, etc? Do you have any pictures of you custom paint jobs (I have looked at the ones in the gallery already)? I can paint fairly well so I am not afraid to try something like a digital camo or web.

Re: I am about to paint my rem700 … need info.

Do you think the krylon will hold up? This will be an range/hunting stick. The other two look like a lot of trouble.

+1 Krylon Fusion is a great product, pretty durable.

Speaking of Krylon, if folks are concerned at all about being seen by NV, Krylon "suede" doesn't look all reflective when seen through NVG like most other coatings do........

Thanks for all the good info.

I have used DuraCoat for 2-3 years now with excellent results. The only difficult (or tedious) part is the prepwork of the piece to be coated. Spend the time upfront and all will be well. Cerakote may be a tuffer finish (dunno), but DuraCote is tuff enough for me. In my opinion it's big advantage over most of the others is that its not heat cured so it can be used in any application (plastics, optics or other items that you shouldn't put in your oven). It's big disadvantage is that it needs a few weeks (yes weeks) to fully cure.

Painted my Rem 700 last year with Duracoat it does take a long time to cure but once cured it is very durable. I'm going to Duracoat my shotguns this weekend, the prep time has been about a week to disassemble and clean. On the Krylon side I painted my trail camera last night with their fusion paint and am quite impressed I'll post pictures later. The pattern was made with the long grass in my back yard, which I have to go and cut now.

bshaw

trailcamera.jpg

Trailcamera2.jpg