• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am looking for feedback on a Gracey Trimmer/reamer ?

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
I have been eyeing a Gracey case trimmer. I also like the idea of a powered primer crimp reamer as well. The idea of buying one power unit and some different heads seems appealing.

Is the caliber change pretty straightforward ?

Is the primer reamer a good tool. I worry it may make it easy to oversize a primer pocket.

This is new territory for me and suggestions, advice or wisdom

Thanks

Gracey's trimmer was a good trimmer when it came out, and if you can score a used one for a good price, take it! But if you're planning to buy new, Doug Giraud's trimmer improved on it regarding ease of use, repeatability, ability to change tool heads, carbide cutter, etc.

+1 for the Giraud. I have one and love it. Quick to change calibers and ultra fast trimming,chamfering and deburring, all in one motion!

Having never used either, what makes the Giraud better?

Being able to remove primer crimps made the gracey more appealing.

What am I missing ?

The Gracey is less expensive, can preform a variety of tasks, and if you buy a Giraud trimmer blade and replace the
the Gracey 2 piece one very easy to set up and each blade provides 3 cutting surfaces before replacement.
Typically you should never buy another.
I have 2 Graceys one in .223 and one for .308, and a Giraud in 30.06, both good machines, Gracey is more versatile.