• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I blame you guys... haha

TheLion

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
So I asked a question about shooting off a bench, after digesting your responses I decided to go and buy a Harris bipod. I did enough research I believe and picked a decent bipod that isn't crazy expensive. Anyways, I did have to do some adjusting to my ACOG to get it zero'd back in. Now here comes the issue...

I was shooting better groups before! WAY better, I'd say I went from 1.25-1.75 inch (Hey, I'm still new to the platform!) groups to now 2-3 inch groups with the bipod. I'm not blaming the equipment, I know I have to get more rounds down range to get a feel for using a bipod. What I'm hoping to do is pick your brains on proper bipod shooting technique. For example, do you put forward pressure on the bipod? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

EDIT: One interesting thing to note, I used it at both 100 and 200 yards and the group sizes were the same at both distances. At 200 yards my grouping of 20 rounds was right at 3 inches. At 100 yards, I did groupings of 5, 10, 15, 20 and 20 and all were 2-3 inches. The reason for the high grouping count is I keep shooting until I hit a bullseye. Just a thing I do, then I finish up at the nearest 5 mark. I do have a firm cap of 20 rounds on one target though.

I'll upload a picture tomorrow of the changes to the rock chucker.

Re: I blame you guys... haha

it all depends on your style of shooting. I prefer to "load" the bipod by putting forward pressure.. It helps me keep my natural point of aim when shooting from the prone or sitting on a bench. sounds like you are having a few trigger control issues... work on that.. you will be good once you get used to it. take your time and recognize all your basic fundamentals. They are key when shooting gas guns.. bolt actions are a bit more forgiving..

You didn't mention what your shooting and I didn't look through your other post to find out either. But when I'm shooting my AR 15 hence smaller calibers I do not load the pod. When I shoot my bolts i do. I tried to load the pod with the gas gun but always found I do better without. More of a free recoil style hold I would say.

It's an AR15. I'm guessing my fundamentals are slightly out of whack due to a new posture and alignment for handling the gun, and to the fact that I'm just back into shooting long guns after 2 decades of not for the most part. Guess I'll need to slow down and pay better attention to them.

IMG_0494.jpg

Definitely work on your fundementals. Also what are you using for a target. You might want to try a smaller target. If your groups are staying the same size in inches and therefore increasing in accuracy at longer ranges it might be that as the target is the same size as well at longer ranges it appears smaller and makes you focus on fundementals more. Another option if to give you a warm and fuzzy that its you and not the gun see if you can find a shooter you know that can drive a bolt gun well.

Also what kind of ammo are you feeding the rifle? And what is your barrel twist you may be shooting ammo not optimized for that rifle which is going to decrease your accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of ammo?

What kind of trigger?

Is the handguard free floated?

</div></div>

I used both PMC Xtac 62gr and PMC Bronze 55gr

Stock Colt trigger, literally just ordered a Geissele SSA

Yes, the handguard is free floating