• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I cheaped out and look what happened

I’ve had decent luck with my “cheaper” scopes. One was a FFP Primary Arms 4.5-14 mil-dot I got for $250. It worked great on my AR-15, turrets were a little mushy, but it worked. Sold it almost for what I bought it for and bought a vortex diamondback tactical.

i had 2 pieces of vector optics scopes and both were just absolute sh**. First one canted reticle and second one got dropped when rifle was leaning to fence and glass went bad and it shot way over... poor guy cant afford cheap things, and end of the day it is allways cheaper to buy quality scope straight away

A friend has a Spark, it still looks like a an & to me. It must that eyes see differently??

I was looking through most of the RD's in the Trijicon booth at ShotShow. One RD in particular had a dot which was round and looked like they used to when I was younger. I asked the rep why that was and he couldn't give me an explanation of why??? Didn't matter I guess because it was expensive.

Do you remember which one it was? If you have astigmatism, you will be sensitive to the collimation quality of a red dot and some are better than others. Generally, the higher the F/3 of the mirror, the better it will be, although some are beginning to use more sophsticated curvature types like Leica's Tempus that has an aspheric lens. Thos will generall also look better.

Steiner's new full size red dot also looks very good in that regard.

ILya

If you have astigmatism, you will be sensitive to the collimation quality of a red dot and some are better than others. Generally, the higher the F/3 of the mirror, the better it will be, although some are beginning to use more sophsticated curvature types like Leica's Tempus that has an aspheric lens.

ILya
I have astigmatism and most red dots ive looked thru looked like a squashed half moon asterick. Ive not looked thru many..just an aimpoint and a bsa rd-30 or other cheap brands.
1581721249393.png

However, my dad recently bought a sight like this for 17 bucks and i mounted and sighted it on an old 22 for him. Zeroing was easy and i could shoot one inch groups at 50 with a POS savage repeater. The dot was perfect round and i actually had a blast shooting wabbits with it.
@koshkin, was that just luck or is this cheap POS "holographic" sight something different?

I have astigmatism and most red dots ive looked thru looked like a squashed half moon asterick. Ive not looked thru many..just an aimpoint and a bsa rd-30 or other cheap brands.
View attachment 7249503
However, my dad recently bought a sight like this for 17 bucks and i mounted and sighted it on an old 22 for him. Zeroing was easy and i could shoot one inch groups at 50 with a POS savage repeater. The dot was perfect round and i actually had a blast shooting wabbits with it.
@koshkin, was that just luck or is this cheap POS "holographic" sight something different?

It is not a holographic. That sight is quite long, so the long distance between the LED and the lens helps collimation.

ILya

Reactions: wb00757
Do you remember which one it was? If you have astigmatism, you will be sensitive to the collimation quality of a red dot and some are better than others. Generally, the higher the F/3 of the mirror, the better it will be, although some are beginning to use more sophsticated curvature types like Leica's Tempus that has an aspheric lens. Thos will generall also look better.

Steiner's new full size red dot also looks very good in that regard.

ILya

I don't, because I wasn't going to spend that much money.

Sorry I missed this, I didn't mean to ignore you I just haven't been back to this thread till now.

I was just at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday looking at all their RD's, reflex sights, and prism sights. Some RD's and reflex sights looked better to me but still had a slight amount of flare.

Only the prisms looked right to me, well they are basically a small scope with a diopter that has daylight bright illume.

I'd sure like to check out the Leica and Steiner you mentioned, but how, short of ordering sight unseen???

Thanks for commenting!