• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I @$#*&ed UP!

JFive

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2008
East
I shot a hot load out of my bolt action mag rifle and can't get the bolt open! What can I do? And what do I do if I knock the bolt handle off trying to get it open?
Thanks Idiot joe

Re: I @$#*&ed UP!

take a rubber mallet to the underside of the bolt handle and try to TAP it up and then run the bolt backwards. If the bolt handle breaks, you can either send it off depending on where and how bad the break is or oyu might have to scrap it and get a new bolt body

Can you not get the handle to lift (unlock position),
or can't get the bolt to move rearward to actually open the action.
I'm no smith, but this may help clarify where you stand

rubber mallet to the underside of the bolt, or take a block of wood and wedge it between the stock and bolt handle and use it as a lever to try and cam the bolt up

Quit rifles and take up golf.
When you stick a ball in the club face you can brag about it.

Or you can follow the above advice, and if too nervous to do that, take the assembled mass to the local gun plumber and have him unscrew the barrel.

All EXCELLENT bits of advice except for the last guy! He is the only one who has his $hit together. You beat on that bolt handle and 9 times out of ten you're gonna break off the handle. Unscrew the barrel and them remove the bolt. Chanses are, the blot nose has expanded also and you will need to have it reworked. Done a number of these myself.

Shock and force of hitting the handle is what breaks the handle off.

The following has worked before. Take a piece of PVC about 14" long and slip it over the handle and use the leverage and slowly lift up to open the bolt. Normally if the bolt won't open the PVC will break before the handle does.

If the bolt opens put a cleaning rod down the barrel and whack the rod to push the bolt straight back. Do not hit the handle. Doing this does not push the handle straight back but puts side force and this will break it off.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shock and force of hitting the handle is what breaks the handle off.

The following has worked before. Take a piece of PVC about 14" long and slip it over the handle and use the leverage and slowly lift up to open the bolt. Normally if the bolt won't open the PVC will break before the handle does.

If the bolt opens put a cleaning rod down the barrel and whack the rod to push the bolt straight back. Do not hit the handle. Doing this does not push the handle straight back but puts side force and this will break it off.

Good luck.
</div></div>

He speaks the truth!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...530#Post1095530

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, yes, to Randy you listen ^^^^

/Yoda voice off. </div></div>

I think he would say it like

"to randy, listen you will"

lol

If the bolt head OD isn't jammed inside the barrel or the action steel-on-steel, then it's just a matter of bolt steel on brass somewhere. (What kind of action & caliber is it?)

I'm guessing the little pick-up clip on the bolt face is sort of gouged into the case head, or the case head is pressure-set into the recessed bolt face. Probably slow and steady but strong hand pressure back and forth will get it loose. The bolt handle is pretty strong, but don't knock it with anything, like a previous poster mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, yes, to Randy you listen ^^^^

/Yoda voice off. </div></div>

I think he would say it like

"to randy, listen you will"

lol

Yeah, that's just because your Yoda-Fu is weak.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever, Fuck Yoda!

Just listen to Randy and do what he tell you to do.

No funny voice. </div></div>

Fuck you, you brown shoed homo.

Just kidding.

65Joe,
Make sure that the person you take it to knows what he's doing. Removing the barrel is a good idea as long as your action doesn't have a claw extractor. If it does, you'll be buying more than just a bolt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winfree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could watch midway USA tip of the day. And that's the way it is. </div></div>

lol, awesome

If you can get a good grasp of the cocking piece pull it back and your bolt handle should come right up..

Then take your bolt apart and check and see if the bolt was damaged in any way, act accordingly...

mtnsmith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever, Fuck Yoda!

Just listen to Randy and do what he tell you to do.

No funny voice. </div></div>

Fuck you, you brown shoed homo.

Just kidding. </div></div>

"SHOE" Stupidest Human On Earth....
Choose your rate choose your fate.

.......HAHA.......

I would spray some penetrant, like CRC-56 or PB Blaster, liberally between the bolt and forward receiver ring, wait, and try lifting. If that doesn't work; take a deep breath, case the rifle, and take it to a smith before you do something truly expensive.

Hotloads can peen and gall bolt lugs. Any time lockups like this occur, it's a fair bet that something has become distorted, or at least tried danged hard to do so. If the bolt opens, and will cycle factory ammo without feeling like its got gravel in it, or like it has just gotten loose as a goose, then maybe, just maybe, you squeaked by without permanent damage. If not, don't try to deal with it with home gunsmithing, this is one of the more seriously easy ways to get into serious trouble.

Serious shooters who are also experienced handloaders have learned, usually the hard way, that hotloads are never worth the consequences. I think you just had your lesson.

Serious shooters will also make a point of keeping the bolt lugs and locking recesses clean and lightly greased, so these lockups become less likely and easier to deal with.

Greg

After rereading this thread several times, I begin to appreciate the advice of 308Sako.

Cases and chambers expand under firing pressure. Then they contract back, with the brass springing back almost to original size. The more the pressure, the greater the expansion, the less the springback. Given enough (too much, actually) pressure, the excessive case expansion and insufficient springback results in an oversized case that's really being clamped hard by the contracted chamber. The bolt won't turn because it's being held by the case base with what amounts to a really jammed brake disk.

Per 308Sako, I'd mount he rifle in a padded vise, then hold a block of hardwood against the back end of the bolt, and give the block a couple of sharp raps with a hammer, etc. The goal us to tap the brass forward, to relieve enough of the friction for the bolt to turn.

Once the bolt has turned, if it won't draw rearward, leave the bolt handle in the upward position, insert a cleaning rod through the bore to rest against the inside of the case base. Apply penetrant from both ends, muzzle and breech, wait, and gently tap the rod to get things moving.

If none of this works, the problem needs to be attacked from the barrel end, and unless you know there's no complexities like claw extractors involved, maybe this is best left to a smith.

Greg

If you know some one with a chest deep freeze throw your rifle in there for a couple of hours and try to work the bolt. when your rifle siezes up it is because the excesive preasure has swelled and lengthened the case to the point where it has jammed your bolt. Ive had this happen to my 243 remmy and used a hammer to beat the bolt handle up and out. it ddnt hurt any thing but the case was stuck to the bolt face and I got a lil cave man when trying to get the swelled case seperated from my bolt and broke my extractor. take your time and b patient. if you loose patience take it to a good smith.