• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a 12yr old...

bobtodrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
that really wants to up the ante from his pellet rifle.
Any advice on a .22 bolt action that won't break the bank?
I'm thinking I want to keep it under $250.
My criteria would be:
-NOT a single shot.
-open sights (with the provision of a scope)
I know this is really open ended...I've looked Savage, Marlin, Mossberg and Norinco (they make a $175 clone of the BRNO). I've read enough negative reviews on each (the bad thing about the 'net) than I figured you fellows would have some real world experience.
Thanks for any input.

Re: I have a 12yr old...

Savage FVT. If you get involved with a 4-H group, Savage will sell you one direct for $250

Bob, any reason you're limiting to .22lr?

A .223 would make a great heirloom. My father bought me my little Remington Model 7 in .223 when I was 10 or 11, and I was a wee tiny lad. I still have, and love that rifle, today...more than 25 years later. Just an idea.

For .22, I like something more on the order of a Nylon, or other "beat'em up" type rifle for a young man. It's not so much a range gun, more a field gun...but it teaches the fundamentals of taking care of a piece of equipment while still allowing for the mistakes of being a kid.

Good luck, and good on you for getting him a rifle, sir!!

Something from Savage with an Accutrigger, or a CZ. Your price range might limit you a bit on options, but these just work, and reward the shooter: when the fundamentals are followed, the rifle gives you groups you can be proud of.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Gotta admit, after some of the postings here I am tending to go with the Savage. I have a Savage .308 FCP and really like it...just didn't know if the quality held in their rimfires.
Ishikawa...I'd love to start him off on a .223 (I myself started years ago with the Remington 788 in .222 and it was a sweet rifle.
But...my wife is Mennonite. Their is a strong history of non-resistance and non-violence in her background...so we're taking this slowly. The boys (we also have a 9 years old...they'll both be getting .22's) have shown their saftey first with Red Ryders, then for the last year with pellet rifles, now rimfires.
It's been babysteps...but I gotta admit, she's been very reasonable. It pushes her comfort level, but as long as we show they know gun safety she has allowed us our 'toys'.

Marlin makes a youth model of the xt-22 with a reduced length of pull if that would be a better fit for his size. Also it looks like the Marlin stock offers more flexability for using irons or scope. I still cannot figure out why Savage chooses so much drop on a stock, even the ones that come without irons need a huge cheek piece for me to get comfy behind.

Lots of nice options out there. I would suggest the Savage Mark II-GY.

I don't know whether it is best to buy a youth rifle with the idea of selling when they grow out of it, or buy a rifle that may not be a youth rifle, cut down the stock and shim (or restock) later so that it "grows with them".
Remember that LOP is not the only factor in rifle fit. Weight distribution is a huge deal (esp. muzzle heaviness) when trying to keep skinny little arms from getting tired during a day at the range or in the woods. I learned from age 7 on using a Daisy 853 with a shortened LOP and was comfortable at age 12 or 13 shooting off hand with or without a sling.

What are ya'll's thoughts? How big is the boy? If he's small for his age, then a youth rifle might be the far better option, but if he is big enough to handle the weight of an adult .22, then maybe a simple stock change would suffice and he can keep shooting the same rifle once he grows up.

Good thread.

My 12yo boy has to shoot a youth model. He's got a Marlin 915Y (yeah, it's a single shot, but it's nice and slick anyway). Shoots pretty good with irons, but I put a 4x BSA scope on, and he's pretty good with it. He's just not strong enough/doesn't have enough stamina to hold up a heavier rifle for very long.

That's a bit of a challenge. CZ makes a pretty good youth rifle with a magazine, called the Scout. Comes with very reasonable iron sights, and a grooved receiver. Has a single-shot magazine well filler, and uses any CZ .22LR magazine as well.

The Marlin or Savage are both suppose to be great.
Some of the Crickets are not bad either.

I think I am going to grab a Savage for my son.
He currently has a Henry lever action .22, little more pricey than a bolt though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't know whether it is best to buy a youth rifle with the idea of selling when they grow out of it, or buy a rifle that may not be a youth rifle, cut down the stock and shim (or restock) later so that it "grows with them".

Good thread.</div></div>

This was my thoughts exactly. I just ordered a pair of xt-22s, one is the youth and the other is the standard blue/synthetic. I figure I can replace my stock right away with a Boyds and still have a larger stock to replace his in the future. The youth keeps a .625" barrel cut to 16" so weight hanging out the front will not be an issue. I started my son with air rifles at about 6 and he used shooting sticks in sitting or standing positions to help control the weight out front and focus on his trigger control and sight picture. This buttstock was cut almost in half and I used dowels to reattach it when he finally grew into it. And he was wearing glasses when shooting, just pulled them to pose for the camera.
smile.gif

DillonwithDaisy004.jpg

DillonwithDaisy001.jpg

Well, I went with the XT-22 Marlin. Seemed like they are well built and the trigger is a bit better than most.
Now I have to see if I can keep them a secret till June. They are supposed to be their rewards for applying themselves at school ;-)