• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a question about Emeralds. Any Jewelers ?

lostangel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
El Campo, TX
www.inamorato.net
My GF and I have been talking about rings. Nothing specific per se. But in the gist of the conversation, the "hinted" that she would love an Emerald gem in a Platinum setting.

After searching the internet, I am at a loss on this stone. This is the only forum I am a member of that I don't think she will see this post.

Is an untreated stone a better choice? What region of the world is the most desireable as far as these stones?
Is there a reputable online source? Or a dealer in Houston or Dallas that would be a better choice?

Was looking at a loose stone and maybe a 3 stone plat setting with 1/2 to 3/4 ct diamonds on the side. 1 1/2 to 2 ct emerald

$4-6k price range max

She likes the square/rectangular cut stones, if that matters

Patrick

Re: I have a question about Emeralds. Any Jewelers ?

Emerald are one of the easiest stones to get scammed on. Many chain jewelry stores sell composite stones that are a combination of real emeralds cobbled together with glass. They are hard to spot. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">The retailers are allowed to advertise them as genuine ge</span>ms.</span>

All colored gemstones should and are heat treated. It brings the color and brilliance out of the stone and it is permanent and does not adversely affect the quality or value of the stone.

Be careful out there.

I dated a girl who worked for one of the large jewelry chains. She was big into different stones and such. From what I remember about Emeralds is if it is a bright one with a lot of color chances are that is a manufactured one. The real ones with bright color are few and far between and also very expensive.
Also you might want to think twice about Platinum. It is so hard they can't buff out any dings or scratches.

An experienceed gemologist can tell the difference between treated and non-treated. Many jewelers cannot. If you want one, buy one, as there are lots of scams orientated to other gems including diamonds.

Don't buy treated unless the seller advertises the gem as treated and the price is appropriate. Don't buy man made unless its priced as man made.

Wholesale prices here:
http://www.preciousgemstones.com/pricelists.html#NGC PRICE INDICES, emerald
Man Made here:
http://www.chathamgems.com/
Online retailer-wholesale
http://www.bluenile.com/keyword_content_check.jsp?qt=emeralds

You can buy alot of nice guns for that("$4-6k price range max.") Are you sure about what you're doing? LOL

Well, at least you are going for a real rare gem instead of dime a dozen diamonds.

I don't know who is more evil and full BS, OPEC or the diamond companies.

Get a man-made one save a bunch of money and spend the rest on a new rifle,,,,,Just kidding,,,,,Be real careful where you buy from, and as far as emeralds go if it looks to nice to be the price that it is that should throw up red flags.

Man, I wish you where close by my mom has a real old ring that's been handed down for many years within the family. It almost exactly what you stated above minus the diamonds on each side. The emerald is the rectangular cut, not finished down high luster but more like a semi-gloss look. The band has alot of scoll work cut into it and the center of the stone is drilled and the band has a center piece on top of the stone.

We have no idea what it worth but have wanted to have it appraised for awhile. It is a beautiful ring. My mom never had a daughter (will she did but she passed at a couple days old) to pass these onto and I'm not sure what to do with it. Guess it'll be put up or sold if my mom ever needs anything.

Will it's not like what you posted the link of. It's real old school look maybe came across the big pond back when.

Well, this isn't something I am prepared to do anytime soon. I don't have that kind of scratch laying around at the moment. Just something that I feel should have a lot of thought put into it. I don't want to get her some overpriced trinket from Zales at the mall, you know.

What is the opinion on the nested wedding bands? Are those still done?

Thanks for the info guys

Patrick

I did some study on stones a few years back. I seem to remember tha t many of the finest emeralds come from Columbia, though if your industrious you can go and dig them up in North Carolina....theres a place thet will let you dig yur own for a small fee. Fine emeralds are, in my opinion, the most beautifus of stones, and also the most rare. do a lot of research and be careful.

My first marriage, I just went to the local jeweler. Spent a couple grand and it was a nice enough ring, but this one I want to be special. First time around, I was 23 and wasn't making any money to speak of. Got married because she was pregnant, more than anything. I'm sure that ring ended up in a pawn shop somewhere.

I am now 38 years old. Decent job, making pretty good money for where I live. And I want this one to be permanent.

Anyway, it's not like I am going to ask today or tomorrow. Christmas/New Years, MAYBE. Maybe next April on her birthday.

She had on a pretty ring the other night that I commented on. She says "Yeah, my favorite stone is an emerald" Then, I noticed that all her jewelry was silver. She never wears gold. She thinks the color doesn't look good on her. She likes Platinum or white gold.

Anyway...just looking right now. Got time.

Thanks
Patrick

My Wife likes similar, and once upon a time I could actually help her out with such things. The big chain stores are pricey, but that price pays for better selections and more cooperative policies. I suggest you check the local malls.

Also, if you're not prepared to pay cash, you have far less bargaining power. Never buy something for a woman on time. She may stay, she may go, but the payments will still always come due.

Greg,
Yeah, not gonna finance anything. That is dumb. The interest rates are insane. Turn a 5-6k ring into 10k in some cases.

Also, is 2 months salary the standard? or 3?

Thanks

Patrick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My GF and I have been talking about rings. Nothing specific per se. But in the gist of the conversation, the "hinted" that she would love an Emerald gem in a Platinum setting.

After searching the internet, I am at a loss on this stone. This is the only forum I am a member of that I don't think she will see this post.

Is an untreated stone a better choice? What region of the world is the most desireable as far as these stones?
Is there a reputable online source? Or a dealer in Houston or Dallas that would be a better choice?

Was looking at a loose stone and maybe a 3 stone plat setting with 1/2 to 3/4 ct diamonds on the side. 1 1/2 to 2 ct emerald

$4-6k price range max

She likes the square/rectangular cut stones, if that matters

Patrick </div></div>

ALL ABOUT EMERALDS

Emerald, the green variety of the mineral beryl, is the most famous and favored green gemstone. Its beautiful green color, combined with durability and rarity, make it one of the most valuable gemstones. Beryl also contains other, lesser known gem varieties, such as aquamarine and heliodor. Pure beryl is white; emerald's green color is caused by chromium impurities (and occasionally by vanadium impurities). Deep green is the most desired color in emeralds. The paler the color of the emerald, the lesser its value. Pale emeralds are not called emeralds, but "green beryl". They are sometimes heat-treated, in which they become aquamarine.
See some examples of Gem Quality Loose Emerald Gemstones from our partner AfricaGems.com.

Emeralds are notorious for their flaws. Flawless stones are very uncommon, and are noted for their great value. Some people actually prefer an emerald with very minute flaws over a flawless emerald, as this proves authenticity of the stone. Many emerald flaws can be hidden by treating the emeralds with oil. Newer, more effective fracture-filling techniques are also practiced. Irradiation of some emerald gems is somewhat effective in removing certain flaws.

Many emerald fakes and doublets are known. Two pale colored stones may be glued together with a deep green paste, creating a stone resembling emerald. Faceted green glass also resembles emerald, and it may be coated with a hard substance to mask its low hardness. Synthetic emeralds are also sold to unwary buyers without them knowing the stone is synthetic. Experts can distinguish all these fakes, and it is especially important to only purchase emeralds from reliable dealers. Experts can also determine if an emerald was treated with oil to mask internal flaws. Generally, unless otherwise specified, it can be assumed that an emerald has been treated with oil.

A rare, prized form of emerald, found only in the Muzo mining district of Colombia, is a very unusual form of this gem. This emerald, known as "Trapiche emerald" is characterized by star-shaped rays that emanate from its center in a hexagonal pattern. These rays appear much like asterism, but, unlike asterism, they are not caused by light reflection from tiny parallel inclusions, but by black carbon impurities that happen to form in the same pattern.

Emerald may develop internal cracks if banged hard or if subject to extreme temperature change. Emeralds that were treated to mask internal flaws should never be cleaned with an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, nor should they be washed with soap. These practices will remove the oil and expose the hidden internal flaws.
*************************************************************************************************

here is another site:
MORE ABOUT EMERALDS

i hope this helps in some way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Well that is completely a industry marketing idea. Just use your own common sense.

friends of mine started a emerald business together. one who lives in chile travels to columbia on a regular bases to buy the stones directly from the mines there , the other one sells them to jewelers in europe. here is the internetpage they made.
i can assure you ist untreated good quality stuff for decent prices:
http://www.alpeandina.com/index.php?page...=56&lang=en
for example:
Gro__er_Quaderf__4be94ee66dc7b.jpg

1,56 karate for 1000 euros

Use your 'google fu' and search for Coddingtown Jeweler's in Santa Rosa, CA(that be Nor-Cal). Ask for Michelle or Mark. They are the owner's and very good friends of mine. All of Panty 6's bauble's, save one, have come from their custom settings. Mark or Michelle can not only get you the emerald you desire, but find you a setting from vintage to cutting edge that will wet her panties so bad you won't be able to suck 'em dry

wait, here's a head start

(707) 546-4884 · 348 Coddingtown Ctr, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Let Mark or Michelle know that James and Shannon told you to call, the guy who used to live next door in Bennet Valley. You'll get treated right, but don't be an asshole or you will end up paying top dollar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Well that is completely a industry marketing idea. Just use your own common sense. </div></div>

WISE WORDS