• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have finally achieved greatness

So how many rounds if you had to guess did you produce through that 1050 before you had to put it to rest? What problems were you having with it? I read somewhere that Dillon will rebuild them after they are finally worn out for like 150 bucks or something like that, im not sure on that price so don't hold me to it.
Gosh, a lot, but I am not a counter. I messed up by putting a power drive to it, and it developed some internal burrs that were a huge pain in the ass, particularly in the priming system. I used to run two 1050s, one for large and one for small primer, but I switched to all small primer when I got rid of large primer 45 brass, so keeping two going wasn't really necessary.

I gave it to a friend of mine, and he will try to use it himself. He's a hell of a lot better with that kind of stuff than I am. I didn't realized Dillon would rebuild them, but I can only imagine that in this day that could take forever.

Last edited:
I just barely load enough 9mm to justify having an auto progressive press so it's generally an adventure every time I run it. IMHO an AP press is the only way to go for loading many hundreds or thousands of rounds of what is generally "bang-bang" ammo for punching cardboard. But the fun really begins on an AP especially if your doing something stupid like halfway glancing at the TV while loading and here comes the random piece of .380 or that fuckin 9 brass with the internal step, oh and let's not forget the 9x21 brass that will wreck the bullet feed die. Right about then it feels like Lucy and Ethel on the conveyor belt.

I thought about the auto path, but I decided hell, I can knock out 100 rounds in no time flat maybe 5 minutes taking my time so as I don't have any problems, why spend all the extra cash and have all the risk of fucking shit up. I don't mind pulling on the handle a little bit. To each his own.

The key to happiness with a progressive is priming separately. I hand prime large batches of 9mm and then load them. I think in the long run, it's faster.
Mine is a Hornady LNL.

BTW, the greatest upgrade for a progressive is the RCBS lockout die. It won't let you double charge or fail to charge a case. Really worth the money! The downside is it won't work on anything smaller than 0.356" diameter.

The key to happiness with a progressive is priming separately. I hand prime large batches of 9mm and then load them. I think in the long run, it's faster.
Mine is a Hornady LNL.

BTW, the greatest upgrade for a progressive is the RCBS lockout die. It won't let you double charge or fail to charge a case. Really worth the money! The downside is it won't work on anything smaller than 0.356" diameter.
Lol, not hardly. It’s definitely not faster, and if you get the priming system adjusted right on the press it’s pretty much seamless. Priming separately is a huge waste of motion and time IMO, even with the weird 650 system.

I’ve always figured guys who did this just couldn’t figure out how to get their priming system set up right, there r how to weed out bad cases.

Mine is a Hornady LNL.

With my RL1100, priming is butter smooth and seamless, I wouldn't even dream of wasting time priming and then loading on a separate sitting. As far as charging goes on my 1100, I was actually shocked at how consistent it is. I don't run a powder check, but stop every now and then just to perform a check and it's been damn near spot on every time. I had a 750 and wasn't all that impressed, it was just alright, but the 1100 is in a totally different league..

At what a 1100 costs, I would expect it to work. :rolleyes: I've never used one and don't know much beyond seeing the price tag. I'm sure they're nice. I don't consider priming separately wasted time. I typically do it while I'm relaxing.

Reactions: Snuby642
There's no wrong way to prime your casings. Either hand priming or using the 1100, it's whatever you want to do.

Personally, I like to sit and de-prime my casings with a hand-held de-priming tool. So, I guess priming the casings in the same manner would be just as enjoyable.

Reactions: Jayhawkhuntclub
At what a 1100 costs, I would expect it to work. :rolleyes: I've never used one and don't know much beyond seeing the price tag. I'm sure they're nice. I don't consider priming separately wasted time. I typically do it while I'm relaxing.
To each his own, if you wanna hand prime then that's your time to spend however you like.. I just don't enjoy wasting what I consider valuable time doing things twice.. As far as the 1100's price, I'm a firm believer that most of the time, not all, you get what you pay for..

Reactions: Jayhawkhuntclub
Why not go back to a single stage for everything? Sounds like that’s more your speed.

For MOST people using a progressive press, priming separately is a waste of time.

Reactions: nn8734
They aren't
You seem to believe that the purpose of progressive presses is to be good at making ammo, when in fact they are really designed to test patience and marriage quality.

They aren't

You seem to believe that the purpose of progressive presses is to be good at making ammo, when in fact they are really designed to test patience and marriage quality.
Just another way in which I'm weird. :)

You guys are poor. I send my jet to pick up the guy in AZ when I want to change calibers, no problem.

Actually my Dillon story is a tale of two 550Bs. The first I bought in the early 90's and ran like a champ from day one. That is with the exception of the infamous why is there powder in this box because one didn't get a primer. But I think I have my arm calibrated to tell now.

I ended up giving that machine to a machinist friend for a bunch of work he'd done for me. I set up the new one in the early 2000-ish. 9mm. First, I'm destroying half the primers seating them and then the entire tube of primers detonates. When that happens it will test the strength of your sphincter let me tell you, lol.

It turns out after calling AZ, that they shipped the thing to me with the primer feed set to the wrong height. Once I pulled it out and got it within range it's worked great with the exception of, how'd this powder get in the box?

Reactions: mtrmn
FYI, just remembered. If you use the Discord server for the reloading group, did you notice the Dillon survey about automation? I guess they're going to start selling parts to automate the CP2000 and RL1100 and they wanted to know how many people would buy it.

FYI, just remembered. If you use the Discord server for the reloading group, did you notice the Dillon survey about automation? I guess they're going to start selling parts to automate the CP2000 and RL1100 and they wanted to know how many people would buy it.

Lol imagine 10x more moaning and complaining here if most of these people thought they could automate their presses too. 😂

I started working primer pockets to the 9th degree.

Very fiew primer problems since.

Sometimes I prime off press in front of the idiot box.

The only upgrades I made to my current 1050 have been game changers. First, popped primer chute rather than cup, which I spilled all the time. But the two big ones were shoulder bolts for the primer rocker and indexing arm that have grease zerks on them. Bought them from FFB, and they really make keeping the thing all lubed up a lot easier.

3,928 rounds of 9mm

image.jpg

My big ammo can ran out of room and I had to bag a few. Thing weighs a shit ton.

I pulls the handle....it drops the ammo.

image.jpg

The only upgrades I made to my current 1050 have been game changers. First, popped primer chute rather than cup, which I spilled all the time. But the two big ones were shoulder bolts for the primer rocker and indexing arm that have grease zerks on them. Bought them from FFB, and they really make keeping the thing all lubed up a lot easier.
I'm interested in those bolts, where is FFB?

3,928 rounds of 9mm

View attachment 7752385

My big ammo can ran out of room and I had to bag a few. Thing weighs a shit ton.

I pulls the handle....it drops the ammo.

View attachment 7752394
Pack that up in plastic jars.
Peanuts, peanut butter, mayo, etc.

Free stuff, put round count and load inside on a card and a small desiccant pk if you have any.

Easier to disperse if necessary and fits in daypack / range bag.

If you need to barter you can controll the naritive better.