• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a recommendation for a better 308.

Not to point out the obvious.....Aren't the Magpul stocks known for contributing to accuracy issues?

I would be interested in seeing some data on that. I watched a guy shoot a ruger in a magpul hunter stock (6.5 granted not 308), cold bore, and put 2 shots overlapping, and a 3rd right besides it. My buddy sold him the rifle, and both him and I shot it previously, consistently 3/4 MOA or better without even a decent bag setup.

Anecdotal of course, but I'd be curious what exactly of that stock contributes to accuracy issues. Its not their bipod by any means LOL

I would be interested in seeing some data on that. I watched a guy shoot a ruger in a magpul hunter stock (6.5 granted not 308), cold bore, and put 2 shots overlapping, and a 3rd right besides it. My buddy sold him the rifle, and both him and I shot it previously, consistently 3/4 MOA or better without even a decent bag setup.

Anecdotal of course, but I'd be curious what exactly of that stock contributes to accuracy issues. Its not their bipod by any means LOL
First Ive heard of that as well

My interest in any level of accuracy is knowing that beyond a certain limit, it's "me" and not "the gun". Last year I shot at a match in the spring where the targets were silly small. Many were sub MOA targets, so adding in my margin of error doesn't make for anyone yelling the word "Impact". I saw plenty of guys who can shoot 1/2" all day long and was jealous of their scores.

All I want out of the gun is a decent starting point. I'm not trying to place first, I just don't want to completely shame the family name. Ideally, yeah I'd love to have a 1/2" group shooting factory load that in better times of ammo availability would go on sale and I could stock up. Reality is, I'll likely have to try and work up a load for whatever rifle and hopefully get a tighter s.d. along with a decent group. I've done that before with setups, but I also really like the idea of ammo going on sale in better times.

Buy a Tikka and spend more time making better ammo.
My only gripe with Tikka is the mags. My cousin has a t3 compact tactical and it's a nice shooting rifle, but I like having a lot of mags for anything I own and I've already got plenty of the magpul & AI mags laying around. I realize I could get a compact tactical and throw it in a chasis, but I don't even know where to start on that. I would probably lean towards some sort of folding MDT chasis, but no clue which one. Then I honestly don't know if it's just a simple matter of unbolting the factory stock and bolting on the chasis to spec and everything works or if there's more to it.

I'd be curious what exactly of that stock contributes to accuracy issues.

First Ive heard of that as well

Magpul stocks are know to fix accuracy issues replacing the factory plastic stocks.
Perhaps I had misread anecdotal issues of the aluminum block and interference fit to the receiver and or recoil lugs. If the Magpul stock fits as well as any other chassis or bedding block then I will correct that assumption

Perhaps I had misread anecdotal issues of the aluminum block and interference fit to the receiver and or recoil lugs. If the Magpul stock fits as well as any other chassis or bedding block then I will correct that assumption
For what they are they are solid stocks and in my experience interface well w the action. They would be much more popular if not for the KRG Bravo

For what they are they are solid stocks and in my experience interface well w the action. They would be much more popular if not for the KRG Bravo
I think they would be more popular as a Chassis choice if they had more defined offerings in total.

Magpul doesnt really compete as well in this segment (similar to bipods). Hard for them to compete with a company like KRG or MDT whos primary purpose is developing chassis systems, and also selling some accessories. Magpul's business model is the reverse of that.

I think they would be more popular as a Chassis choice if they had more defined offerings in total.

Magpul doesnt really compete as well in this segment (similar to bipods). Hard for them to compete with a company like KRG or MDT whos primary purpose is developing chassis systems, and also selling some accessories. Magpul's business model is the reverse of that.
FWIW, the Pro 700 is amazing, but price is inline with the other high end chassis options.
Looking forward to the Pro 700 Lite.

Just about everyone on this forum will claim they can work up a .5MOA load but the truth of the matter is that if you had a true .5MOA then you could win every F-Class competition with a perfect score.

Nope.png

FWIW, the Pro 700 is amazing, but price is inline with the other high end chassis options.
Looking forward to the Pro 700 Lite.
That’s the key issue, them not understanding the competitive landscape at that price point, at the thousand dollar mark you might as well spring for an MDT ACC Chassis for other similar competitive chassis that are considered some of the best in their class.

My only gripe with Tikka is the mags. My cousin has a t3 compact tactical and it's a nice shooting rifle, but I like having a lot of mags for anything I own and I've already got plenty of the magpul & AI mags laying around. I realize I could get a compact tactical and throw it in a chasis, but I don't even know where to start on that. I would probably lean towards some sort of folding MDT chasis, but no clue which one. Then I honestly don't know if it's just a simple matter of unbolting the factory stock and bolting on the chasis to spec and everything works or if there's more to it.
FWIW the install into an MDT chassis with a tikka CTR is incredibly easy. Literally 2 bolts and you’re good to go.

You want accuracy? Try and find one of these. PGWDTI M15 .308 24' BARREL, MANNERS PRS TCS

Attachments

• 20211004_220327.jpg
    20211004_220327.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20220103_151913.jpg
    20220103_151913.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: schmi015
Keep your Rem 700 action, MDT ACC chassis, IBI Carbon Barrel. Build off what you have, don't necessarily need to buy a whole new gun imo

I would get a bighorn origin and find a prefit barrel. Every custom action should have savage tennon threads.
Totally agree. Put it in a KRG Bravo stock. No bedding needed, get any good trigger. I use Jewell target trigger, and get some Magpul magazines. I use Northland Shooters Supply, for action, barrel, nut, and action wrench.

I agree completely. As a business it makes sense to have a better accuracy guarantee on the more expensive model. I think both models look great, and honestly I really like the idea of swapping the barrels with just a torque wrench and calling it good. One great rifle with one great scope seems like a better system than two mediocre rifles with two mediocre scopes.
I agree. I have a Delta 5 Pro (6.5 w/ an 18" barrel) in FDE on order. The D 5 Pro wasn't released until after SHOT Show so I am hoping it appears soon. I was told they went out to LEO SWAT and the military first, then the public.
(Notice: No use of the words 'sniper rifle' anywhere in this message?!!)

I'd get my Remington 700 back and make a couple of minor changes and you should be able to shoot a half inch at 100. I've never owned a Remington 700 I couldn't get to shoot a half inch with minor changes and the right factory ammo. Usually just the right ammo will do it but you can do a trigger job or whatever else if you want.

EVO Stainless Steel action $575 (new ones allow Rem Age barrel without modification)
Trigger tech special trigger $199
NSS Remage Barrel $325
Barrel Nut $28
Grayboe Phoenix with bottom metal $599

Total $1726
The Evos are $650 now. Don't know anything about them.

But the concept of a quality 'switch barrel' or modular rifle makes sense to me. I like MDT for the chassis, Big Horn Origin, ZCO glass,, Trigger Tech, and what ever floats yer boat for barrels. My choice would be Bartlein.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matagorda308
You could always do the AR10 route. Pick out a billet chassis and a good BCG with a Rainier arms Ultra match barrel. 18 inches to keep it light but it's a narrow profile you could 20. Mine churned out a sub 1/2 moa I used a lot of V7 titanium parts to save weight. Typical target in pic. Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_203825841.jpg
    IMG_20210927_203825841.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 59
18 inch barrel, shelf ammo. Stock is a Magpul STR stock. They lock down after adjustment so they can be accurate.

For what its worth I have shot 4 DD Delta 5s now. 2 from friends and 2 at industry events. All 4 actions felt awful (gritty and bindy) and the 2 owned by people I knew were planning to sell them. The chassis is nice and they were accurate. But not anymore so than my Tikka build or any other nice rifle I've spent time on.

All my builds have butter smooth actions. After I started building ARs I guess 20 years back I wouldn't buy another shelf gun if you paid me. Just more assembly line crap. There are a few manufacturers that are worth owning but not worth the price unfortunately. To many people have brand fever. The only thing I use from DD is their 6.8spc BCG's but only when I don't use NiB jobs.
People think there is a special spice or majik wand used on factory built AR's. They can only go together one way. You lube moving parts, face the reciever and bed the barrel ( which factory builds don't do), use a good tight fitting gas block and Other than that it's selection of good parts.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
The old 'Ultralight Arms" folk clearly demonstrated that a PROPERLY set-up featherweight system was a practical proposition. NOT cheap, but, what does a lifetime of enjoyable hunting cost, in raw dollars, by comparison?

Remember,: Out in the field, the game does not hang around patiently while you fire a couple of "fouling shots" and a couple of sighters, before you shoot "for score".

In a hunting rifle, FIRST SHOT CONSISTENCY is everything..

Recoi;l? When you are juiced up with the game filling the scope, and visions of meaty goodness filling your imagination, you need a bit of Zen to quiet the buck fever. Otherwise, that sure-fire shoulder-shot at 100yds may easily become a dead-certain gut-shot.

Practice pre-season shooting as if you were in the field; especially standing and kneeling shots.The more ambitions should practice "snap" shooting Practice using a tree or a fence-post for a "rest". Nor many bench-rest tables and micro-adjustable "sleds" out there in the weeds.

Finally, learn how to STALK. The closer to the target, the better the chance of a good shot. This is not "cheating", it is woodsman-craft. If you can get so close to a hat-rack that you could whack it over the head with your rifle, you are getting the idea. It also means you are HUNTING, not just "remote-control harvesting". Also, short ranges ensure maximum kinetic energy arrives at the target; and if you are close enough that the animal's hair is singed by muzzle-blast, you don't have to walk far to attach your tag and it is much harder for some other clown to attach HIS tag to YOUR deer.

The usual combat caveats about non-woodslike smells, like soap, toothpaste, aftershave, DOGS, etc. are also applicable.

I can attest to pre season work. We would scout game trails in a few months before season and use scent blocker. Here in Virginia it deep woods in the Mts. Deer just like humans will take the easiest route. We would mark our spots with blaze orange plastic ribbon. We would hit deer everytime.
I don't believe in hunting over a feeder with a 300 win mag either. That's not hunting. That's is just shooting animals with no skills at all.
Deer drives were also a favorite when one just needed meat and it was late in the seasons. Worked well in Oklahoma where deer were concentrated near the river in thick cover also.

As far as any "hunting" I'd use this for I don't call it hunting in my backyard. It's more of a do-it-yourself meat gathering. I sit there with a rifle and wait for the first four legged bag of meat to walk and I let the air out of it. I don't care about antlers and it doesn't feed my ego to have taken an old life with a giant rack vs a life that's mid age with humble antlers. I'm in it to get healthy meat for the family. In the future I've got some hunts in the works that will be out west in the hills and I'm hoping that's my excuse to buy a sig cross at that time.

Thank you all for the suggestions and please keep them coming. I've been out of the loop on the options out there for a long time and this is really helping me get familiar with what's currently out there.

I have a Sig Cross in 308. The rifle shoots well, but is extremely light. The folding stock can be difficult at time; it uses an awkward (IMO) procedure for closing. If you decide to go this route, you should plan on putting a muzzle break or suppressor on it.

Mke

I have a Sig Cross in 308. The rifle shoots well, but is extremely light. The folding stock can be difficult at time; it uses an awkward (IMO) procedure for closing. If you decide to go this route, you should plan on putting a muzzle break or suppressor on it.

Mke
How far out have you shot with your cross? Did you feel like you could hold MOA out to 800 yards ish? For a team match, that's probably the most I'd have to go and anything beyond that would few and far between from the matches I've seen. I have an SDN-6 that'd definitely find it's way onto that short 308 until it was time to hike or ruck with it.

Springfield Armory 2020 Waypoint .308
That's one that caught my eye too. I haven't read much about them but I really like the idea and look of the rifle. I should probably learn to forgive springfield, but I'm not sure I'm completely over the Illinois thing yet though either.

I'm looking for a good, solid 308 I can count on and I just don't know everything available in the market today. I want something heavy enough that it shoots well, light enough I can use it at a rucking event like mammoth, but accurate enough I'm doing more than just blowing through ammo at distance.

I recently sold a Rem 700 308 with a 22" 5R barrel in a magpul hunter stock. It was a good gun for anything "most" people would ever use a 308 for. My biggest gripe was that I never got the rifle much better than a 3/4" group at 100 yards. I'm not a hardcore competitor, but I like to be in the ballpark of competitiveness. My reasons for wanting a 308 really fall into two catagories. 1.) I want a quality do all rifle in 308 just because while there's certainly better options, it's not going anywhere. 2.) When I shoot a team match, usually whoever I go with has 1 rifle and if it's not in 308 then I have to fill in that gap. I'm not an ultra serious PRS guy who pulls a little cart behind me at competitions with every gizmo made for the sport. I like to do a couple of guardian matches a year and hopefully some physically demanding event like a mammoth or hunt where that rifle is going to get packed over distance and used roughly.

Here's the thing, and I'm being honest when I say this, I really don't have many preferences at all when it comes to the guns. I don't really care if it's a chasis or a stock so long as it shoots. I love the idea of a folding stock for the ease of getting in and out of vehicles or around obstacles at a competition. My biggest criteria is I want the thing hovering around a 1/2" or better, magazine fed, and under 10#.

Some of the rifles that have caught my eye are the Sig Cross, because of the compactness and lightweight, but I have yet to read of any of them having impressive accuracy so that seems to be out of the question. I ran into a team at 2022 Mammoth that were both running the daniel defense delta 5's and they seemed to love those guns. The regular model (not the pro) comes in at 9# with a 20" barrel and seems like it'd be a great fit but I'm struggling to find decent reviews on the actual accuracy of that model. Another option that crossed my mind was a GA Precision gladius. I've got a GA Precision crusader in 6.5 that's my go to rifle, but it's nearly 17# with scope & bipod. If they built a 308 that was just as accurate and much lighter then that'd be on my list of rifles to consider too.

As you can tell, I just want a 308 that shoots well and can be used in the field. I just get overwhelmed with all the options out there and it changes every year. This has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to wait until after Shot Show so all the options would be on the table. I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
For a factory gun in the 1500$ price range the sako s20 ticks most of those boxes. I have the 6.5cm version and with a little load development its well under half minute. Parts and accessories are available and the action in buttery smooth. Coming up on 1800 rounds on mine and no sign of wear

I'm looking for a good, solid 308 I can count on and I just don't know everything available in the market today. I want something heavy enough that it shoots well, light enough I can use it at a rucking event like mammoth, but accurate enough I'm doing more than just blowing through ammo at distance.

I recently sold a Rem 700 308 with a 22" 5R barrel in a magpul hunter stock. It was a good gun for anything "most" people would ever use a 308 for. My biggest gripe was that I never got the rifle much better than a 3/4" group at 100 yards. I'm not a hardcore competitor, but I like to be in the ballpark of competitiveness. My reasons for wanting a 308 really fall into two catagories. 1.) I want a quality do all rifle in 308 just because while there's certainly better options, it's not going anywhere. 2.) When I shoot a team match, usually whoever I go with has 1 rifle and if it's not in 308 then I have to fill in that gap. I'm not an ultra serious PRS guy who pulls a little cart behind me at competitions with every gizmo made for the sport. I like to do a couple of guardian matches a year and hopefully some physically demanding event like a mammoth or hunt where that rifle is going to get packed over distance and used roughly.

Here's the thing, and I'm being honest when I say this, I really don't have many preferences at all when it comes to the guns. I don't really care if it's a chasis or a stock so long as it shoots. I love the idea of a folding stock for the ease of getting in and out of vehicles or around obstacles at a competition. My biggest criteria is I want the thing hovering around a 1/2" or better, magazine fed, and under 10#.

Some of the rifles that have caught my eye are the Sig Cross, because of the compactness and lightweight, but I have yet to read of any of them having impressive accuracy so that seems to be out of the question. I ran into a team at 2022 Mammoth that were both running the daniel defense delta 5's and they seemed to love those guns. The regular model (not the pro) comes in at 9# with a 20" barrel and seems like it'd be a great fit but I'm struggling to find decent reviews on the actual accuracy of that model. Another option that crossed my mind was a GA Precision gladius. I've got a GA Precision crusader in 6.5 that's my go to rifle, but it's nearly 17# with scope & bipod. If they built a 308 that was just as accurate and much lighter then that'd be on my list of rifles to consider too.

As you can tell, I just want a 308 that shoots well and can be used in the field. I just get overwhelmed with all the options out there and it changes every year. This has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to wait until after Shot Show so all the options would be on the table. I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
Unless you're shooting factory ammo, I don't see how that's possible... Had mine since new in 2010, and it shoots 0.1xx to 0.3xx groups every time with my handloads. Took about 100 rounds to really break it in, but once it settled, it's been a tack-driver.

Only other thing I could think of would be, if you never swapped out the trigger. Those factory X-Mark Pro triggers are junk and should be disinvented. Also, the action screws getting torqued incrementally from 25 up to 65 inch-pounds is a big thing for 700's.

During the summer months the mid-range prone around here gets shot at 300. It has a cover over the firing line, the 600 is out in the sun, different range, same facility. A winning F-Open at 300 is typically 600-50 something. Those 50 or so X's are scored in the 1/2 moa circle.

Ah, how about a Sako TRG-22?

Unless you're shooting factory ammo, I don't see how that's possible... Had mine since new in 2010, and it shoots 0.1xx to 0.3xx groups every time with my handloads. Took about 100 rounds to really break it in, but once it settled, it's been a tack-driver.

Only other thing I could think of would be, if you never swapped out the trigger. Those factory X-Mark Pro triggers are junk and should be disinvented. Also, the action screws getting torqued incrementally from 25 up to 65 inch-pounds is a big thing for 700's.
Mine definitely never shot that well. I'm glad yours did. I had the factory trigger swapped with a Timney adjustable and kept it around 3#. I never messed with action screw torque settings. I just kept them at one setting.