• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need an Arbor Press...Which one...?

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Got an LE Wilson kit by way of a door prize from our league's banquet last year. Stainless steel micrometer top inline seater die, bushing type F/L sizing die, and a case gage. ( I was stunned! These things ain't cheap!) Yes...it's .308 winchester for all you haters...🙄
I did a little sniffin' around but figured I'd ask if there is a popular arbor press I should consider. This would be strictly for the bolt gun. I recall seeing a press for sale in the P/X a while back, and didn't want to break the bank. LE Wilson makes good kit, I use their case trimmers and like them alot. I would appreciate some direction and advice. Thanks as always!

Doug

K&M Arbor is what i have and like. I have the pressure pack for it as well
Sinclair has one as well, but I don't know anything about it

I like the 21st century. Either the hydro with the gauge or without the gauge that still has the larger handle.

I use both and then work well.

I have a K&m and the 21 century. I like the 21 with the long handle myself. The K&M goes with me to the rifle range for load work up.

I have a K&m and the 21 century. I like the 21 with the long handle myself. The K&M goes with me to the rifle range for load work up.

I have the K&M and may get a longer handle for it. That's my only gripe - and it is quite a nice sized piece of equipment to take to the range. I use an old Dewalt drill box with foam cutouts as a case.

Another Sinclair user. Never felt the need to add a pressure gauge to the seating process. The arbor press has really good "Feel" and if a bullet requires more pressure to seat I set it aside for use as a sighter/fouler. I'm not even sure that it matters but I usually only have 1-3 every 100 rounds and I think it's more due to the chamfer than anything else.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Another Sinclair user. Never felt the need to add a pressure gauge to the seating process. The arbor press has really good "Feel" and if a bullet requires more pressure to seat I set it aside for use as a sighter/fouler. I'm not even sure that it matters but I usually only have 1-3 every 100 rounds and I think it's more due to the chamfer than anything else.

Thus far, I haven’t been able to see a difference if the seating pressure is different as long as the neck tension is the same.

I have separate and shot them separate as well as Mixed them in. 20psi seems to shoot the same as 60psi.

I would imagine if the pressure is from different tension or if the friction is enough to damage the jacket it would matter.

But when checking neck tension with pin gauges, I can not tell a difference on paper from seating pressure.

use the Century 21 Hydro press for my F Class rounds. Sort by seating pressure and rounds that are outside my tolerance I use for sighters. Have the regular Century 21 press as well but rarely use it.

use the Century 21 Hydro press for my F Class rounds. Sort by seating pressure and rounds that are outside my tolerance I use for sighters. Have the regular Century 21 press as well but rarely use it.

Have you been able to document a difference in performance?

I still sort them for peace of mind as do many I know. But no one I know has been able to document a difference (as long as neck tension is proper).

Have not quantified it but a noticable difference in my waterline at 1000 with less vertical dispersion. Pretty OCD about my competition loads and no doubt other steps in the reloading process are contributing factors. The chamber seating dies provide very consistent seating depth and generally within .001 when bullets are sorted trimmed and pointed.

Excellent advice as always members! Thank you! I wasn't sure how much to spend but it appears that for my purposes I can scoop up a quality press for about $100.00. I reckon that's a great deal considering the overall value of these LE Wilson dies. I presently use a Lee single stage and RCBS competition F/L die set with a micrometer bullet seating head. I have produced some very good groups (both semi-auto & bolt) but really wanted to try these new Wilson thingys....:unsure:...dunno if I'll see any difference but that's part of the fun. Keeps me off the street at night also....good luck and good shooting!

Doug

Excellent advice as always members! Thank you! I wasn't sure how much to spend but it appears that for my purposes I can scoop up a quality press for about $100.00. I reckon that's a great deal considering the overall value of these LE Wilson dies. I presently use a Lee single stage and RCBS competition F/L die set with a micrometer bullet seating head. I have produced some very good groups (both semi-auto & bolt) but really wanted to try these new Wilson thingys....:unsure:...dunno if I'll see any difference but that's part of the fun. Keeps me off the street at night also....good luck and good shooting!

Doug

I actually feel like it’s faster than using a single stage press for seating.

So, even if it’s only that, IMO, it’s worth it.

I actually feel like it’s faster than using a single stage press for seating.

So, even if it’s only that, IMO, it’s worth it.

You can also go full-on benchrest and do load development at the range. The looks you get are super.

I have a K&M...and about to buy another so I can have one doing neck sizing and one doing bullet seating and I don't have to reposition the height...it is locked down to my bench with an Inline Fabrication mount. I will have 6 pieces of equipment mounted at one time on my work bench for a nice flow soon.

Most of my friends have the Sinclair....the newer ones have a plastic gear...and they break 'easily'......however...I keep telling them..if you are breaking and replacing gears....something is wrong....stop! They have all this down time due to waiting on a replacement part....instead of buying a quality neck mandrel and taking care of most of their issues.