• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

Re: I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused, why would you run and gun with it? Its for dry firing, not for operating with it.

R. </div></div>

For those grueling 10 foot national matches, of course!

Received mine yesterday. What a great training tool, works as advertised. Initially I tested on a NF F1 and combination will focus max power at about 11 ft. Thank you Chuck.

I was wondering how you people might be using Chucks device. I have been using it for Standing, Sitting and Prone. I was wondering if any of you might have some other methods and Targets that you use.

I am seeing some improvement but I won't have a definite answer until I go to a shoot and see if I have improved against other competitors.

I just wanted to chime in on what other folks have posted in regards to the IOTA and Chuck. Ordering was easy and Chuck was great to deal with; great communication with quick responses to any questions. The IOTA came nicely packaged and is professionally finished; it may be hand made but it doesn't appear hand made in the negative sense of the word.

Most importantly, it works very well. I have a US Optics ST-10 which is obviously limited for close range work, much less at 10 - 11 feet. The IOTA allowed me to see dots at 10 feet clearly so as to allow dry firing in the evenings or on days when the pasture is snow covered.

All in all, the IOTA is a great dry fire training tool with excellent clarity and Chuck was great to deal with.

My initial feedback is it's a great tool for indoor training.

It's a simple piece, but it works exactly as described on my SN-3. The key is lighting. You MUST have a well lit target if you are going to use it at maximum magnification.

Very cool but I think shooting indoors with an air rifle is even better practice. I'm lucky I have 30+ feet to use and I shot once make a .177 cal pellet hole and then that is my target. Quiet and you are getting trigger time and real feedback. Not as easy as it might sound. Cool training aid though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key is lighting. You MUST have a well lit target if you are going to use it at maximum magnification.</div></div>
In my experience the <span style="text-decoration: underline">exact</span> distance to the target is even more critical - I'm unable to get a sharp picture unless the distance is pretty much tape-measured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillyLo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool but I think shooting indoors with an air rifle is even better practice.</div></div>

Hard to do in hotel rooms though.
wink.gif

Also, I like to dry fire on the exact same trigger.

If I want more than dry fire, I switch to .22LR

Wild Bill from whay I've seen of the product I think it would work great on 22 or air rifle.
Rthur

e mail sent for purchase details. Ready to give it a go!!

Thanks for the feedback Rthur! I may give this a go on my trainer as it would allow me to shoot from my garage into the base of the mountain in my backyard. I also already have an air rifle range in my basement! Just need to check the distance from the garage to the berm!

Great idea behind this gizmo!!!

Remember these are intended for CLOSE RANGE.

10-11' is the max range for the model I have on my SN-3. The SN-3 will not focus on a target at greater range. I used to dry fire from my living room to my kitchen. I keep a shoot-n-c on my refrigerator.

When I installed the IOTA I initially tried the same routine and it was too far away to focus. When I followed the directions and moved the target closer it worked great.

Unless your target line is 11' from your firing point I would not expect the standard IOTA to work as you intend.

Talk to Chuck. I am not sure how he designs these things, so he may be able to setup the focal length for what you need.

Anyone keen on the idea of a target for these with realistic sized silhouettes labeled with their corresponding ranges? Could be really good for developing the familiarity of ranging silhoette sized targets.

I just got the IOTA for the PH 5-25x. I love the ability to practice with all. Of my gear in the livingroom. Great product! Thanks!

Just read the entire thread regrding the use of Chuck's device for indoor dry firing. I am new to shooting a rifle outside of a few occasions while in the military. Does dry firing do any damage to the firing pin or is this just a concern with certain handguns? thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoedo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read the entire thread regrding the use of Chuck's device for indoor dry firing. I am new to shooting a rifle outside of a few occasions while in the military. Does dry firing do any damage to the firing pin or is this just a concern with certain handguns? thanks </div></div>

It will not damage 99.99% of centerfire rifles and handguns.

Don't dry fire a rimfire rifle or pistol unless the manufacturer says it's OK.

Guys, I have had the pleasure of dealing and chatting with Chuck on his I.O.T.A. device. This little devices will help you with a lot of indoor trigger time when the weather is bad outdoors. If you have read all the previous positive posts above, they are all true.

He sent one to me and it worked perfect and was an exact fit on the scope. Deal with him in complete confidence and he is one of the most stand up guys on here.

Good luck on your device and thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chuck, thanks for the fast service.</div></div>

Fast service is an understatement. He shipped mine within a few days of receiving my money order. Thank you, Chuck.

Last edited:

I really, really like the IOTA. As a training aid, I haven't seen many better. The IOTA is a bit oversized for my 50mm scope, as others have reported, but that is by design. Others have "fixed" this issue with a layer of masking tape on the inside perimeter of the IOTA. The larger diameter of the IOTA is designed to make it easier to mount/dismount on the rifle in a situation where there is not a great risk of losing it. It has caused no issues for me when practicing positional shooting, but I can see how this would be an issue for others.

The distance at which I can focus the scope is very easy to manage in the house. I find it works best at 10ft. I am using my computer as a target, so a well lit target is not an issue for me. I hope Chuck make huge amounts of money on it.

I think it's a great idea, but for $60 couldn't one just make their own?

Recently received mine -- super fast delivery, and functions as advertised.

I've been dry firing away at tinsy targets that I printed out -- in my tiny suburban house, this is a minor miracle
smile.gif

I have had mine for about a month now. It works great. Chuck had to go a different route on mine. Its for a NF BR model, so he used the metal screw in cap. The craftsmanship is excellent. I'll get some photos up here soon with a longer review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's a great idea, but for $60 couldn't one just make their own? </div></div>

There is more to this than drilling a hole in a piece of plastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just got the initial review up. Noting earth shattering, but I hope to have a video review later this month.

http://www.8541tactical.com/IOTA_review.php </div></div>

Lone Wolf I read in your review that it was possible to use the I.O.T.A. with a computer program. Do you have access of such a program or know of a website that we could visit that has the program on it?

Another member on here is working on getting me a copy. Depending on the rights, etc. I will see if it's something that can be redistributed.

Another thing to consider is that you can run movie scenes and dry fire on those as well. While they will not provide the precision practice that a static target will, there are other benefits. (snaps, movers, etc.)

Pictures are supposed to be worth 1000 words, so I'll let my crappy cell phone pics (maybe worth 100 words) do the talking:

Chuck made this one from a factory Nightforce BR screw on cap.
iota1.jpg

NF BR 12-42 on 12 power @ 10' with the I.O.T.A. on:
iota2.jpg

10' with the I.O.T.A. off:
iota3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused, why would you run and gun with it? Its for dry firing, not for operating with it.

R. </div></div>

For those grueling 10 foot national matches, of course!</div></div>

Wow. You obviously have no idea how this thing works. If one were to mark out a course, as mentioned before, they could do just such a thing on reduced targets at distance for dry fire.

The limit of one's imagination is the limit of this device's uses for the end user at an individual level.

Some may never get off their belly, some will practice multiple positions, and others will shoot entire courses of fire on reduced targets via dry firing.

Best 60 bucks I've spent in quite a while as far as shooting products go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going to need to order another...... </div></div>
Missed this one initially...

Chiller, why on earth do you need two IOTA devices at the same time?
grin.gif

I know it's a royal pain to move (especially frequently) one scope between multiple rifles. But how can one get so lazy that he has a problem moving one IOTA between several scopes?!
grin.gif

This thing is awesome. I love it.
I think it should just come with the scope.

A very valuable training aid.

Jay

Our Club had what they call a Walking Varmint Silhouette shoot yesterday. I had been practicing often with Chucks I.O.T.A. so I was real curious how I would do.

I placed sec by three targets and that was because of me. The wind got me in the standing portion of the event. It's hard to stay steady on a 1 1/2 MOA target at a 175 yards with a 10 to 15 mph wind blowing on you. The sitting portion was all my fault.
I tried to finess some shots rather than just shoot the damn target. So I beat myself in that portion of the event.

I believe this thing helped my shooting quite abit.

Bump for a great guy and great training aid!!

Got mine today, Thanks Chuck.

The two I have got hold of are for my S&B PMII 5-25x56 and my S&B 1.1-4 Short Dot. It is dry firing with the Short Dot that is my primary goal as I shoot lots of matches at Figure Targets form 100 out to 500 yards/metres, things that it will help with are standing and kneeling snap shooting as well as sitting rapid fire. Just fitted the IOTA to the Short Dot and I do believe that it will do exactly as I want so I am very pleased.

I just had some time to try it out. First thoughts were very positive. I was able to focus clearly from about 10 to 12 ft. There is little I can add thus far that others have not already said.

Good product!!!

I will reiterate the positive comments on the I.O.T.A. This is a fantastic training tool; everyone should own and use one!

I have used the IOTA for the past several weeks while working on positional shooting positions and trigger control issues. I knew I had a trigger control, grip issue and had been working to identify the cause.

Previous to the IOTA, I was dry firing at 35 feet on a 2 moa target and the sight picture was still very blurry. I got the benefit of trigger time and working on my positions, but fine tuning on the positions and trigger control where not possible. The IOTA changed that and since I have been able to isolate the trigger issue and resolve it. Now I use an approximately 1 moa dot in sharp focus as a target and while I have to pay attention to my trigger/finger contact point, I am developing a self conscious realization when my trigger finger contact is not correct. I know it will take many more hours of dedicated work, but being able to isolate the problem was worth every dime of the I.O.T.A. cost.

I have recently been able to use the IOTA for my dry fire sessions and it has been amazing. It has helped me really focus on my positioning and breathing.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Chuck to order one of his IOTA's? I've sent PM but he's not reading them it seems.

Thanks

EventHorizon. Chuck is busy right now and may not be able to answer you until this weekend.

If you haven't contacted him by the end of the weekend. Post on here and I will call him and let him know that you have buisness with him.