• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I spell perfection, R.E.M.I.N.G.T.O.N.

gglass

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Osceola, IN
Since breaking in my new Remington 700 Police a couple weeks ago, I have been doing a new ritual to really test the accuracy on each range trip. I have taken a dime taped to a blank sheet of paper as a sacrifice to the accuracy gods. The first time I did this, right after the break-in, I ended up with a half moon dime, but on the last three trips, I have had 1-shot, 1-kill dime hits at 100 yards.

This trip was a little different, in that my sacrificial dime actually went right through the backstop, and into the dirt berm at the back of the range. Upon inspection of the paper target, I could tell that the now lost dime had been another perfect hit... If only I could find it. It vexed me enough this evening, that I decided to go back to the gun club after closing time to try to search for my poor dime, and the only evidence of a perfect accuracy run. After a bit of raking a digging, I finally found my long lost dime, to add to my Remington 700P perfection collection.

I present the latest evidence of 100-yard perfection:
recovereddime.jpg

explodeddime.jpg

My instrument of perfection:
finishedr700p1.jpg

Re: I spell perfection, R.E.M.I.N.G.T.O.N.

Start using that sling to hit dimes at 100 or stretching its legs a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot.... now stop shooting dimes and save them for a scope worthy of being mounted on an accurate rifle. </div></div>

True! Some nice glass will make it all come together. Nice shot though - keep it up.

Shooting is decent, spelling terrible

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting is decent, spelling terrible </div></div>

Coming from a foreigner...... that's gotta sting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot.... now stop shooting dimes and save them for a scope worthy of being mounted on an accurate rifle. </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah nice shooting

LoneWolfUSMC you owe me a new key board ... coffee every where </div></div>

LoneWolf - that was too flippin funny. Good thing I just finished my coffee.

Good shooting gglass!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VANANATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope seems to be working-VAN </div></div>

For now.

I have the same scope mounted on a .22LR. I wouldn't bet a match on it's tracking. For punching paper or steel with sighter shots it's not bad. Sighters at $1.50 a shot overcome the cost of that scope on a couple outings.

If he shoots long range with it and starts running the turrets up and back they will get mushy(er) and nasty real fast. How much "clicking" do you think i have to do to shoot a .22LR to 250-300 yards.
wink.gif

You don't have to spend $2K on a scope to get good results. You do need to spend more than $70.

That's a good shot... The scope you have is fine for what you're doing now but here's the challenge (...and I think you'll like it):
Get yourself an iPod Touch (unless you already have one or an iPhone) and an app called "Bullet Flight". After you input your rifle and scope increments and ammo and conditions, use the information... And ONLY that information to set your scope for a longer shot. Say... 200yds. Now take that cold-bore shot and see where it lands. Ya see, the problem with inexpensive scopes is not repeating the same shot over and over. It's being able to change the game and still make the shot. It's a pretty cool feeling to be able to just go 19 clicks up and 4 clicks left and hit a 1" target at 300yds with no practice/sighting shot! (Your adjustments will be different... That was just for my rifle and my conditions) ENJOY!!!

Agree, better optics may not make the rifle anymore accurate, since it is doing fine as is, but will make it more consistant at zeroing at further ranges/wind conditions, and allow you to return to your 100yd zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAVEN34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome shooting. </div></div>

lol wut, I dont understand how its awesome shooting, your wasting an extra 10 cents a shot that could be put towards a little better tracking optic or some gas to drive to a longer range to magnify why you need a better optic.
grin.gif

I actually just threw the same scope in the garbage today after mounting it on my AR-15 and not standing up to the recoil. I did try it on my .308 a while back and it was the same thing.

I thought that since a one .308 hole looked so nice, I would just have to try two.

I took two dimes and taped them to my cardboard on the backstop. The first dime split on the second shot, but the last dime came out quite well... Not quite as impressive as yours phylodog. This is a pair of shots at 100 yards in the center of a dime. I didn't risk a third shot, so as not to split this dime as well. Dimes can only take so much abuse from a .308 bullet.

I think I'll stop abusing dimes, although abusing Roosevelt feels pretty good.

2shots1dime.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">better try 5 shots!! It can be done!! Lee </div></div>

It could be done, but the dime would look just like this one, and it would just be a "big fish" story to anyone who wasn't there when it happened. That was one reason I stopped at 2 shots. I only risked breaking the dime, and a perfect bullet would pass right through the existing hole.

im give you props. good shooting. and for now,you are shooting what you have. if you can acheive results with the set up you currently have, then just imagine how much better you will do when you do get a better scope. dont let anyone get you down. some of us cant do that with our high dollar set ups. keep it up

Dang thats pretty cool. you should try out the snipers hide practical tactical target. it has a bunch of tiny dot targets for you to hit. good practice as well.

oh and lots cheaper
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you using a bench and rear bag, or your tripod and rear bag? </div></div>

I use a bench and bipod with no rear bag.

This is a video of my son with his own R700 Police, using the same shooting setup as myself. His scope is also cheap, but he is working at improving the glass real soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXihId2xug

He is also quite good. This is his hostage/thug thug on the 1st try, with dad pressuring him... As seen in the video.

michaelshostagetarget.jpg

I just had to post what is now my best group yet from my R700P.

This group is actually the first 3 shots of the day from a truly cold barrel... 38° F chilly. My POI was a tad low and right from my last range session due to the huge difference in wind, humidity and temperature.

I tried a new program that another forum member suggested for graphically measuring the MOA. I also double checked the measurement with calipers and it is dead on. (I hate the crappy image quality from the new program.) This 3-Shot group measures a tiny 0.133 MOA at 100 yards, and is now my personal best from this three and a half week old rifle. I can't wait until it is really broken in.
wink.gif
The wind today was nearly calm, which is a real pleasure, given that most days since I purchased the 700P have been well over 10mph.

Color me happy once again.
grin.gif

3shot0133moa.jpg

P.S. What a small world.

As I was finishing my day at the range, I noticed another club member arriving with his own R700P. Later, as we were checking and collecting our targets, we had a short chat on the accuracy of the 700 Police model. It was then that he pointedly asked me if I am a snipershide.com member. I confirmed that I was, and he then asked a question that made me do a double take. He asked, "are you the DIME GUY?", and I tried not to show that I was shocked that he could recognize me from just my targets. (None of my targets on the backstop were dimes when he arrived, just the normal dots that I shoot and the above target.) I chuckled and confirmed that I was indeed the "dime guy", and he then told me how he has been following this thread... How cool is that?

A few have asked me to show a 5-shot group, so I decided to oblige. The wind picked up quite a bit today (16mph), but I still managed to get a decent 5-shot group between the gusts.

0.309 MOA felt pretty good. It may not break any records, but I'm pleased. The entire group disappears under a dime, so I didn't have to sacrifice a coin to make the group.
smile.gif

5shot0309moa.jpg

Well it happened... I blew out my cheap CenterPoint scope. For $67.00, it was bound to happen sooner rather than later. Sadly, I replaced it with the exact same make and model scope, but maybe this time it will last until I can afford a much nicer scope... I didn't have to pay for the replacement.

This is my best group from the new scope, and this was shot during the zeroing process. It turns out that it is my 2nd best group ever from the R7001P, so I can't complain too much. A 3-shot 0.160 MOA group is nothing to sneeze at... Especially from a $67.00 scope.
smile.gif

3shotsubmoa.jpg

Still loving the R700 Police... This rifle ROCKS!

Wasn't there a thread a little while ago from the owner of this site stating that all group pictures were supposed to be 5 shot and something like four 5 shot groups or you weren't supposed to post them? I can't figure the logic of the rule but it looks like it's not being followed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't there a thread a little while ago from the owner of this site stating that all group pictures were supposed to be 5 shot and something like four 5 shot groups or you weren't supposed to post them</div></div>

Yes its in the rules
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1844402

We see what your smallest groups are. What are your largest?

A rifle is only as accurate as it's largest groups. That's the purpose of the Five, five shot group rules. Anyone can cherry pick a group from a day of shooting.

When I just tested the AI AE MkII for my article it shot several 1/4" five shot groups with one type of ammo. That does not make it a 1/4 MOA rifle or me a 1/4 MOA shooter.

Don't get me wrong. It takes skill to shoot like you are shooting. However that doesn't mean it is representative of the average of the system.

It was cute when you posted the first group. Now it's starting to demonstrate exactly why Lowlight instituted the group shot rules.

Not trying to start a pissing match,but that same person who talks about 5 shot groups has shot many 3 shot groups in some of his vids just saying...

Yea... The group shot policy does a good job humbling most of us. The problem with videos like the one posted is they're usually broken up which makes it impossible to tell if the shot shown was the shot taken. In this case it's not even attempted so the skeptics (like myself) have a lot to work with.

I tried to explain this on another forum where a member posted a video of his 300yd hit on a 1" washer. There were several seperate sections of the video which meant that shot could have taken all day to accomplish. I caught so much crap from the OP as well as many others on the forum that I went ahead and made my own little uninterrupted video of a similar shot. Just to show how it's done without leaving room for doubt. It was around 4 minutes from stapling up the target to taking the shot to examining the target. But it was UNINTERRUPTED. I wasn't trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes. Just show the flaw in the process.

Tough Crowd: Didn't happen without pictures...errr, I mean....Didn't happen without video....errrr, I mean ....Didn't happen without uninterrupted continuous video and sworn witness affidavits....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tough Crowd: Didn't happen without pictures...errr, I mean....Didn't happen without video....errrr, I mean ....Didn't happen without uninterrupted continuous video and sworn witness affidavits.... </div></div>

Yea... I know. I really try not to be so skeptical but this is the internet. Enough said?

I apologize or not fully reading the forum rules. I glanced at then during my search for the Dot Torture target, and I suppose that I assumed that the five shot group had something to do with posting in that thread... Not the entire forum.

After taking some time to re-read the rules, I can only throw myself on the mercy of the court... Err... Forum.

To atone for my sins, I will post this 5-Shot target from yesterday.

5shot230moa.jpg

The half MOA groups are not that difficult, but this quarter MOA group had my nerves on end... You kinda expect the next shot to ruin it. It also didn't help with a SWAT team member and a Marine shooting trainer in attendance on either side of my bench. I usually buckle under any sort of pressure, but I muddled through it somehow.

I hope that I'm forgiven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought that since a one .308 hole looked so nice, I would just have to try two.

I took two dimes and taped them to my cardboard on the backstop. The first dime split on the second shot, but the last dime came out quite well... Not quite as impressive as yours phylodog. This is a pair of shots at 100 yards in the center of a dime. I didn't risk a third shot, so as not to split this dime as well. Dimes can only take so much abuse from a .308 bullet.

I think I'll stop abusing dimes, although abusing Roosevelt feels pretty good.

2shots1dime.jpg
</div></div>

So for that photo you are down $2.10. I have to agree with Lonewolf, save your dimes for some good glass.

Good Shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You kinda expect the next shot to ruin it. It also didn't help with a SWAT team member and a Marine shooting trainer in attendance on either side of my bench. I usually buckle under any sort of pressure, but I muddled through it somehow.

I hope that I'm forgiven.</div></div>

Ahhh, the pressure.....myself I don't even need an audience to induce the pressure and the appearance of the first three in one hole is more than enough usually.

I'll send you a form of affidavit suitable for the SWAT member and the trainer to sign....lol.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It also didn't help with a SWAT team member and a Marine shooting trainer in attendance on either side of my bench. I usually buckle under any sort of pressure, but I muddled through it somehow.</div></div>

You Shooting at Redbrush?

I ask because we were training out there a couple days ago. There were several other shooters who came through. I wasn't much paying attention to the rigs they were shooting though.

Actually I was shooting at the St. Joseph County Restoration Club in Osceola, In. We are about as far apart in the state as you can possibly get.

I will be competing against the SWAT sniper this same club on the 20th... He is the only one that really has me worried. I've heard that he is a master shooter with his Sig Sauer SSG 3000.

You've proved that you can shoot dimes continously now save'm. I own a 700P and am amazed by the groups I can shoot with them. My poor groups are .5 moa when my smallest one last weekend was 5 shots 1 hole, measured the hole best I could and it was .032 bigger then a bullet. I don't know why but seems like this one is a keeper. Glad to see that you love yours as much as I do mine.