• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think I got a good SPS Tac!

Russ D

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
MD
www.mdshooters.com
I had the afternoon off so I took the new SPS Tactical over to Hap Baker range to break it in. I don't normally subscribe the the elaborate barrel break in procedure, but on factory tubes I have found that it can help smooth them out and keep them from fouling so quick. I do my own process that consists of; One shot clean, two shots clean, three shots clean, five shots clean and then done.
1 shot:25yrds.
2012-05-09_12-19-54_660.jpg

2shots:50 yrds.
2012-05-09_12-20-33_531.jpg

3shots:100 yrds.
2012-05-09_12-21-21_459.jpg

5shots:100yrds.
2012-05-09_12-21-30_412.jpg

It seems she is waking up nicely, and the generic hand loads of 45.0 grains of Varget under a 155 SMK seemed to do very well. The Xmark trigger sucks, so that will be the first thing to go. Here she is in the new HS stock.
DSC_0042.jpg

Re: I think I got a good SPS Tac!

Damn nice. Looks like the rifle was skirting the edge of disaster sitting up on that ledge. Look at the bipod leg.

i didnt read and assumed the 1st target was a 5 shot 100 yard group

I'm a big fan of the Remmy's for the coin. I dig that stock, very cool. I run 44.8 of Varget and get .5 groups. Yea, that Xmark is atrocious. But a Timney and bedding job and your set. Enjoy your fine gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lessthanfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didnt read and assumed the 1st target was a 5 shot 100 yard group </div></div>

If I could achieve that while breaking in and with a generic hand load with junk brass, then I'd quit 3-gun and take up F class. This is the first precision rifle shooting I've done in more than a few months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RidgeAve. Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, those target stands look familar.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Ill be there tomorrow morning. Come by and say hello.

I can't go this weekend. I plan on studying for a math final on monday. If it goes well , I am going to try to stop in for some celebratory gunfire sometime later in the week.

I have a SPS Tac and love it as well. Mine suprised me as well, out of the box. Enjoy!

Nice shooter.

I went custom for my first stick, and it's definitely a shooter..but I will have to grow into her.

Have you ever been out to Mayberry? I will be heading out that way tomorrow afternoon. If you get the urge to go past 200yd with that thing shoot me a PM.

Peace,

Dibby

good looking rifle, me and my brother both have SPS Tactically and love them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooter.

I went custom for my first stick, and it's definitely a shooter..but I will have to grow into her.

Have you ever been out to Mayberry? I will be heading out that way tomorrow afternoon. If you get the urge to go past 200yd with that thing shoot me a PM.

Peace,

Dibby </div></div>

I've been there a few times shooting carbine matches and courses. I will definitely take you up on that offer sometime.

A few loads I have found to work in mine:

175 smk seated 2.825", varget 44.5g, Winchester brass and primer. 2550fps

168 A-Max seated 2.825, varget 45.8g, Winchester brass and primer. 2680 fps

168 berger vld seated 2.815, varget 45.8, Lapua brass and Winchester primer. 2645fps

180smk seated at 2.825, varget 44.4g, Winchester brass and primer. 2530fps

imr8208 is another good powder but tends to yield 25-50fps less than varget in my tactical. I'd be interested to hear how the 175 load works for you as I know of two other tacticals that run well with it.

I love my 700 AAC, but i'm really considering getting the SPS tac as a next build rifle, very similar to yours (with the non-m40a5 style stock) to build up a hunting rig. Nice shooting though, they really are great guns for the money!

I def. agree on the x-mark sucking though, thats the reason i ordered a Timney. The gun shoots great as is, i can't wait to see after the trigger swap. Keep us updated on your break in period
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few loads I have found to work in mine:

168 A-Max seated 2.825, varget 45.8g, Winchester brass and primer. 2680 fps

168 berger vld seated 2.815, varget 45.8, Lapua brass and Winchester primer. 2645fps

180smk seated at 2.825, varget 44.4g, Winchester brass and primer. 2530fps

imr8208 is another good powder but tends to yield 25-50fps less than varget in my tactical. I'd be interested to hear how the 175 load works for you as I know of two other tacticals that run well with it.

</div></div>

Thanks, I'll be trying the 175 load. Does it stay supersonic past 1k?

It depends on your altitude and environmental data, usually I am subsonic right around 900y until the mid-summer heat moves in, but the bullet transitions well and 1000y hits are not difficult... Provided I held correctly for the wind.

I have an SPS Tac as well with almost the same results. I use 45 gr. Varget with 155 gr. nosler custom comp. bullets they tend to group a little tighter than the sierras give it a try. If you play around with the torque on the rear action screw you may be able to get them even tighter. Good shooting!

the target is upside down, therefore this target is giving false readings, try again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few loads I have found to work in mine:

</div></div>

Pretty similar setup
175 smk seated 2.80"( load developing off the lands right now) varget 44.5g, Remington brass, cci br2 primers. 2530fps

Shot two more groups today after my daughter shot almost an entire 500 round box of .22's.
1.055-.3=.75" 5 shots
2012-05-19_14-38-54_479.jpg

.88-.3=.58" 5 shots
2012-05-19_14-38-23_711-1.jpg

Got out to shoot 200 yards. Only had enough ammo to shoot one 5 shot group. It looks like it's still doing pretty good. The horizontal stringing I am blaming on the crappy xmark.
2012-05-26_10-38-07_326.jpg

Order yourself a Timney 510 trigger and you will not regret it
smile.gif
They can be had for about 130 at your door.

Aron-

Mine likes 5R the 175's, but I have yet to shoot loads that hot. My 175 sit in font of 43.8 of Varget. Interesting loads.