• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IBA one-piece 20 MOA mounts?

Re: IBA one-piece 20 MOA mounts?

I used one several years ago and it was "alright". If you're looking or needing a simple set-up then it works. Nothing super special in my option though. Just a dual dovetail configuration and brazed in place on a single pc base.

I look at it like this. If someone would make a single pc dual dovetail base for a Remington then all you'd need to do is spend a few bucks and turn the rings in and for waaaaay less money. Rings are cheap, it doesn't cost that much to make a base, you do the math.

Would I buy one again? Nah, I'll spend my money someplace else.

But this is just my .02¢

There is no real "lug" just a little "lip" that rests against the opening at the front of the action opening.

I am not going to knock IBA or put down this item but try and get your hands on one, look it over and see what you think. Then deside if it's for you or not.

All bases have just a lip unless they are clipslotted for a lug.

I used to use one and it worked fine for me. Well made and tough but the main problem is being able to move the rings to adjust for scope position and eye relief. You can'ty do it. Also you can't swap the scope to another rifle easily. I just went with it for the M40A1 look but I wouldn't buy another. Too many good options for rings and bases. You can get some Seekins rings and a base for less money and it will work just as well and be more versitile.

Badger calls it a lug; and I am going w/ that! And either I got ripped off or a leupold MARK4 base doesn't have a lip/lug?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All bases have just a lip unless they are clipslotted for a lug.</div></div>
Plenty of ones not made for a clipslot, don't have a that "lip"/lug. USO, EGW and a few others.

I would buy the NF Direct Mount before I got an IBA mount.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/RINGS__BASES___MOUNTS/rings__bases___mounts.html
mountsdirectmountL.jpg

So would I if I went that route again. It's actually one piece as opposed to being braised in place rings. I meant to bring those up in my last post for the OP but forgot. Sucks getting old LOL

See the lip in the circle below. That is the "lug" that catches inside the front of the ejection port. That takes the force of the recoil off the screws. No matter what you call it it is there like on most mounts.
IBAMount_3.jpg

I had Terry Cross put a 20MOA IBA mount on an M40A1 that he built for me in 2001. I still have this rifle and never had any complaints, but I don't switch scopes back and forth between rifles and the Mk4 M3 10X scope that came on the rifle is still on it to this day. It suits me just fine, but if I was swapping scopes I'd rather have an M1913 rail and ring set, like Badger, Seekins, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Except for NF and Badger most don't have that.</div></div>

Seekins does also. He didn't at first but added it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Terry Cross put a 20MOA IBA mount on an M40A1 that he built for me in 2001. I still have this rifle and never had any complaints, but I don't switch scopes back and forth between rifles and the Mk4 M3 10X scope that came on the rifle is still on it to this day. It suits me just fine, but if I was swapping scopes I'd rather have an M1913 rail and ring set, like Badger, Seekins, etc. </div></div>

The true M40A1 only deserves one mount.. and other so called clones deserve one of three mounts. The rest are not M40A1's.....

I always think of a mount with a lug as one like Badger Ord makes that fits into the 40X clip-slot or the mounts made by DD Ross and a couple others specific for the M40A1/3/5 modified receivers.

Knight's Armament makes a base for short and long action Remingtons with the lip & adjustable set-screw. They are far from cheap though, typical KAC pricing..............

Lips lugs, lugs lips. The idea is the same across the board just the terminology is a little different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Terry Cross put a 20MOA IBA mount on an M40A1 that he built for me in 2001. I still have this rifle and never had any complaints, but I don't switch scopes back and forth between rifles and the Mk4 M3 10X scope that came on the rifle is still on it to this day. It suits me just fine, but if I was swapping scopes I'd rather have an M1913 rail and ring set, like Badger, Seekins, etc. </div></div>

The true M40A1 only deserves one mount.. and other so called clones deserve one of three mounts. The rest are not M40A1's..... </div></div>

I really wanted the Unertl 1-piece mount and 10X scope (Unertl or USO) for my M40A1 clone, but there was no way that I could afford them, so I opted for the Mk4 M3 10X and IBA 1-piece mount instead. So it doesn't look quite right, but it serves my purpose while maintaining my bank balance.

Tell me, what are the three mounts that, in your opinion, an M40A1 clone "deserves"?

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

The true M40A1 only deserves one mount.. and other so called clones deserve one of three mounts. The rest are not M40A1's..... </div></div>

I really wanted the Unertl 1-piece mount and 10X scope (Unertl or USO) for my M40A1 clone, but there was no way that I could afford them, so I opted for the Mk4 M3 10X and IBA 1-piece mount instead. So it doesn't look quite right, but it serves my purpose while maintaining my bank balance.

Tell me, what are the three mounts that, in your opinion, an M40A1 clone "deserves"?

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yea, prices of things can be crazy. USO doing the last run of scope's got me riled up and I had to seriously unload to come up with the dough to build mine. Luckily,I had a good winter plowing snow and everything kind of just fell into place.

A clone should have..
#1 - the real deal Unertl base
#2 - the USO replica
which I think they might do another batch
#3 - the TBA base.. Don't know about these..
I wonder if they make them in house or??

I think the TBA base you can call and order one at any time and it's like 350.00 if I remember.
The other 2.. If USO decides to make more, Then that's good but if not.. there's not many choices. They are just not available.. and whoever has them will probably be keeping.

That IBA base looks good though and I would get one if I was doing a clone and nothing else was available.

There is a USO buy going on and are trying to get enough takers right now. $325 if you order now. Check out the Group Buy section.

But I would guess that they will be for the milled flat receiver though. Keep that in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But I would guess that they will be for the milled flat receiver though. Keep that in mind. </div></div>

what do you mean by this? AFAIK, the only receivers with a milled bridge are the A3's with the Ross 30 moa base. The USO replicas are for the standard receiver with the 40X style clip slot..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But I would guess that they will be for the milled flat receiver though. Keep that in mind. </div></div>

what do you mean by this? AFAIK, the only receivers with a milled bridge are the A3's with the Ross 30 moa base. The USO replicas are for the standard receiver with the 40X style clip slot..
</div></div>

Thats a good thing to know. I just wasn't to sure when the change was made.

Cool!

I've used one on my Remington LTR for a few years and never had a problem with it. PAT.