• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ID Of M15 Tripod With Side Mount Head

Redmanss

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Northeast Wyoming
From another thread in the Equipment section, Sirhrmechanic posted a pic of his M49 spotting scope with a different looking M15 tripod. To satisfy my own curiosity as I've never seen one, does anyone know the background on these:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scope4.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr</div></div> I have never seen a M15 tripod with a mounting bracket like that. Ours in the platoons were always like Chet's. Any idea where they come from or the difference in use?</div></div>

Re: ID Of M15 Tripod With Side Mount Head

Thanks Doc for the ID, that certainly looks like what it is. From the bottom down it looks exactly like an M15. Of course I don't even remember who made the M15, but looking at this it was probably Freeland too.

I think Doc nailed it.

Searching on Al Freeland benchrest shows all kinds of these tripods with side heads. Also, you could buy extension rods. There are a couple of his catalogs posted online... and one shows a similar tripod if you look at the cover picture closely.

From Google:

"Al Freeland had a company that sold any number of rifle accessories for NRA Bullseye rifle competition in the 1950's / 60's.." He was also a BR shooter himself.

In one post a gunsmith wrote: "We used Al Freeland brand stock rails and adjustable bedding blocks when we were building Model 52 & Model 70 Match rifles when I was gunsmithing with an Army AMU team in the late 60's, early 70's."

Again from Google: "Most of his product line was for NRA Bullseye .22, and high-power long-range competition, as Benchrest competition was just getting started good when he was in business."

There is a drop dead gorgeous vintage Unertl spotter on eBay right now in one of his mounts. That mount is crinkle finished. But is identical other than a civilian finish. Seller is listing as USMC, but not sure if there is a real connection.

Cool stuff and thanks all!

Cheers,

Sirhr

If that Unertl has any military connection it would be USN and that finish is correct.

Sirhr, You might have seen one just like it down in NC about 2 years ago
wink.gif
The glass on those are amazing, 30 cal holes at 300 is VERY doable. Other than it not being a variable it beats the hell out of 90% of production scopes right now.

scopemount001.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Doc for the ID, that certainly looks like what it is. From the bottom down it looks exactly like an M15. Of course I don't even remember who made the M15, but looking at this it was probably Freeland too. </div></div>

I think Freeland took the base idea from the M15 as they were being produced as the M14 for the M48 scopes before WWII.

Cheers,

Doc

Now here's a real question. Anybody have a front lens cap for an M49 they want to get rid of?

Cheers,

Doc

Through an e-Bay accident a few days ago (really, honey, it was a steal), I am now the proud owner of a superb Unertl with a Freeland side mount... All I can say is "wow."

And sometimes when you put in a bid so low that you are sure you will lose... winning!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hey Doc. Finally got the Unertl spotter out to some long range stuff. (well, not that long range compared to some on the 'hide...)

.30 cal Bullet holes visible on paper at 430 yds!!!! Not just visible, but easy to see. individual holes in thin Galvanized steel visible at 630. BTW,used pieces of galvanized roofing steel make great targets, the bullet hits show up like little reflectors. True, the light was just perfect. And hits on steel at 630 were not visible, though splashes were. But, wow. Amazing for a 24x spotter made in the '60s!

The optics in that Unertl are unreal. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Sirhr