• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Identify Mcmillan butt

2bfarming

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2007
Oregon
This is on an A3 I recently purchased used and am trying to figure out what to do with it. After reviewing the two units that resemble it on the MCM site I would say this is no the same as niether of the plates is grooved for the vertical adjustment. It also appears to have had a round dowel that extended into the stock for an LOP adj. If anyone has one of these could you post pics of the unit so I can fabricate the parts?

This thing is glued on pretty good so its either make parts or cut it off.
buttplate.jpg

Re: Identify Mcmillan butt

That is the "David Tubb" adjustable butt. You can buy them @ Sinclair and Brownells. One of them charges $10 less.

I just put one on my Manners T5A.

I checked it out but I notice two differences. The cross bolt on the tubb is in the plate that is screwed to the fiberglass. On mine the cross bolt is in a seperate plate.

Also mine is not slotted for vertical adjustment like the tubb is

That plate you have laying there on the left gets fastened to the plate that is glued to the stock. Even in the photo, they are 2 seperate plates. You are missing the 2 plates shown here that the recoil pad mounts to. If nobody else chimes in with a pic of it taken apart, I will take mine apart and photo it for you later on.

your correct about missing a plate but one of the two plates I do have would need to be slotted no? Mine are not slotted

"That plate you have laying there on the left gets fastened to the plate that is glued to the stock. Even in the photo, they are 2 seperate plates. You are missing the 2 plates shown here that the recoil pad mounts to. If nobody else chimes in with a pic of it taken apart, I will take mine apart and photo it for you later on."

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what it looks like fully assembled.
2012-04-24_14-07-14_327.jpg

These are the 2 plates you are missing. They are assembled in this pic.
2012-04-24_14-09-37_826.jpg

Here they are taken apart.
2012-04-24_14-10-30_593.jpg

And the other side.
2012-04-24_14-10-50_36.jpg