• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could live any ware in the USA after Military retirement?

If you could live any ware in the USA after Military retirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fmsniper

1st Sergeant
Minuteman
So 24 years later and I am calling it quits, good bye US Army.

So My criteria
must allow Concealed carry
Big hunter, mostly Whitetail, Antelope and Elk
I shoot long range often, (Soon to be former Sniper/Instructor)
I am quite good at building Long Range rigs, so I may do it part time
Land and house purchase is a must, with new job and retirement, I will be around $99,000 a year before taxes.
need to be with in 1 hour drive to a university for work.

Prefer living in a small town I can become apart of.

sound like to much to ask?

Colorado is out due to the crazy magazine laws. Arizona and New Mexico are hunting by the draw - meaning there are no over the counter tags for elk, deer or antelope. Oh one can "buy" a hunt every year but you better have some fundage. There is decent shooting in both states. Universities are your pick - Alb, Tucson, Phx all have a state university.

There is almost no public land in Texas for hunting. You have to know a land owner, pay a land owner or get permits otherwise.

You might look at Wyoming, Idaho and some of the other states where you got a chance to hunt. Some areas in Arizona have really hard draws because everyone wants to hunt there. Good luck, thank you for you service.

Last edited:
Thanks, George AZ

a few years ago I would have gone to Colorado, but now its becoming a communist state. so no way....
I am looking heavy at WY, MT, SD, TX but I have heard TX is hard to get land for a good $$$, I still have kids to raise, so need money at home..

Last edited:
Thanks for your service and congratulations on retirement. Making the transition will hopefully go smoothly for you. One thing I've noticed is that I've never met a retired military that didn't want to shop at the local PX/BX and Base Commissary. If you're raising kids, the food and clothing prices in areas NOT NEAR military bases will shock you. I love Montana, but if I was retired military raising kids, (that is one very expensive endeavor) I would live either near an active duty base or in some other state entirely. As a rule of thumb, the more remote you get, the more expensive you get for everyday items. You can get land and houses cheaper at times. But anything that has to be trucked in will cost you that much more. Some call Montana "God's Country" for it's beauty. But you certainly pay a price for admission.

As a PA resident, I would probably not choose PA as a place to retire. Arm-Pittsburgh, Philthadelpia and Back-Scratchton seem to wag the state. There are not a whole lot of place to shoot 1000 yards, and the taxes can be quite high. I would look into Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho first.

Thanks food for thought, I was looking near Ft. McCoy, WI but not much there but deer for hunting.
I normally hunt near section 21 in WY for Antelope, not far from Kaycee, I know there is a University in Laramie?

TN and KY have Elk in Hazard County, its with in driving distance, I just do not want to be in a big city, small University would be nice.

I am heading to NC in a couple years. Good gun laws and decent weather and not too far from my former home to visit family. Also taxes not bad on retirees and houses are decently priced.

I'm thinking Idaho may fit your description, I have been thinking of moving there myself. Job market is a little soft, but if you plan to be self employed it is perfect. I am working on a business that would allow me and the family to live anywhere, just need access to UPS/FedEx/USPS for the business to work.

Eastern Washington or eastern Oregon isn't bad that where my final stop is planned for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so lay off the spelling criticism!!!

I am from Wyoming and although I also retired and stayed in CA as the wife makes too much money to just leave, WY will not tax the crap out of your retirement. As far as buying land, every state is going to be expensive depending upon what you want. Yes you can buy a few hundred acres for cheap in WY but you are out in the Plaines with nothing in sight. If you want mountains and trees it is going to cost you. We are looking at purchasing some land in Oregon for future use as either a vacation spot or our eventual full time residence. I have not walked back onto a military base since I retired in 2010. I live at least an hour or more from the nearest base so I just adapted to the prices and it all seems normal now. You did mention Laramie, yes they do have a university there (U of W) and the town has changed a great deal over the years that I use to frequent the city. That may not be the "small" city you are looking for but that is up to you. About 40 miles from Laramie you could use F.E. Warren Air Force Base to shop if you really wanted too. Are the kids going to use your educational benefits? If not, you could also go back to school and bring in some extra funds from what the GOV sends you each month you stay in school. One more thing, if you have not yet retired, now is the time to make the purchase on what you want because once you retire, your income on paper goes way down and it may be harder to secure a loan for a house and property.

Oregon. Over the counter elk tags. Drive around with a loaded suppressed automatic, or conceal carry it. Blacktail, mule, and whitetail deer. Black bear and mountain lion season for most of the year. River salmon and trout, or pacific ocean fishing. No sales tax. Low property tax. Low crime. Millions of acres of public land. Avg winter low above freezing, summer rarely rains. The list goes on... You don't hear about Oregon much, because it's a well kept secret.

I vote Idaho! Great place beautiful very free, alot of hunting, ccw, more whitetail in northern idaho (thats where im at) north idaho doesn't have alot of long range shooting but there are a few places and a place south of spokane WA which is only like 15-20 minutes away.

Edit. I forgot there is alot of land up here. Also im really into long range shooting move here i need someone to shoot LR with hahaha

I am heading to Fort Lewis, WA for a short, I will drive through some of these states and check them out
Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, I will try to get down to Utah, wile there.

what areas should I look at? I have the time to look around.

I would say WA, Oregon, or Idaho. All great outdoor areas. Real estate in WA is a little steep, and elk hunting would be much better in Oregon, Idaho, or Montana.
Oregon is pretty good, and there is no sales tax. Does rain a lot in some areas, but that varies from location to location. There are some problems with meth in the state, especially around Medford. But crime in Oregon is still minimal.

If you like hunting, you might want to go saltwater fishing. If so, Oregon and WA would be excellent.

s

I am heading to Fort Lewis, WA for a short, I will drive through some of these states and check them out
Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, I will try to get down to Utah, wile there.

what areas should I look at? I have the time to look around.

If you go to Idaho check out Coeur d'alene area (north idaho) and/or Boise area (south idaho) have fun!

Yeah... Washington sucks. Eastern WA is nice but you're still subjected to the liberal evaders on Natural Selection on the other side which ruin it. Oregonians neglect to mention they pay State income tax and land is more expensive there. I would highly suggest MT or ID before WA or OR.

Dont discount Utah. We have 3 major Universities within range. Look into the Cache Valley (Logan) area in particular. Smallish town with access to mountain or desert in either direction. ELR shooting in the west desert is a riot. Hunting wise, we have a lot of options based on the draw. Idaho definatley has us beat on big game but we still have a few pristine spots to fill our freezers. Jobs may be a bit soft but is compensated by the cheap housing and land options. Utah State University is right in town. I've lived other places but it is really hard to beat raising a family in this area. Just small enough to be a part of the community but not small enough that everyone knows the contents of your latest bowel movement. And yes, were very PRO-2A. We would love to have more like minded people hanging around. Just my .02. Good luck and enjoy retirement wherever you end up.

Very difficult choice to make based on your criteria. I would have normally said Florida or Oregon. The problem is you have a few things in your ideal place to live that almost makes it a fantasy land. Everyplace you choose will have its pros and cons. To be an instructor may be difficult in a few of the places that you listed, but it is looking like Texas may have a lot more firearm related industries coming its ways. Florida has a lot of school type stuff here, and pretty gun friendly. Good luck on your endeavors, I will be asking the same questions you are asking now in a few years myself.

Very difficult choice to make based on your criteria. I would have normally said Florida or Oregon. The problem is you have a few things in your ideal place to live that almost makes it a fantasy land. Everyplace you choose will have its pros and cons. To be an instructor may be difficult in a few of the places that you listed, but it is looking like Texas may have a lot more firearm related industries coming its ways. Florida has a lot of school type stuff here, and pretty gun friendly. Good luck on your endeavors, I will be asking the same questions you are asking now in a few years myself.

Thanks, I am not looking for firearms related Instructor slot, I have a GS 11 Position at most any University so the job is not the issue.
I was stationed in Florida for a year it is not what I am looking for, not much into water sports, I like fishing but not as much as shooting and LR hunting. My wife hunts long range as well, my 16 year old also shoots out to 1K Meters frequently, so my family is involved in the process, my wife is a school teacher so she can work most anyplace.

As far as teaching Precision rifle, I do it here on my off time to select civilians but I am not relying on it for income. Though I would love to do it again as a job like I did in the Army but I have no delusions that it is not a steady source of income at this point

Other - My new place in Southern Virginia
We have a good variety of weather. I have a 3 acre pond for a front yard and 50 acres of hardwoods for a backyard.
I can't see a single neighbor or the highway, yet I'm an hour's drive from anything I want.

I have waterfowl, deer, turkeys, bears, squirrels, quail, rabbits, and varmints to hunt.
The pond is still a work in progress, but I'll eventually have a manageable balance of hybrid striped bass and black crappie to go with the bass and bluegills.

Recent photos:

xXW5Vug.jpg

TBF33FE.jpg

Qiypmia.jpg

Less recent

SBsvX.jpg

I voted Utah simply because it isn't NYC. Good lucky and I am very jealous of your freedom to choose.

South West or South Central Washington. You won't have the income tax of Oregon, the land is cheaper, and you can drive a few minutes across the Columbia river to shop in sales-tax-free Oregon. Portland is only 30-40 minutes away. Plenty of quality public universities, fantastic hunting and fishing. Live on the dry side if you hate rain or the wet side if you love the green.

Other - My new place in Southern Virginia
We have a good variety of weather. I have a 3 acre pond for a front yard and 50 acres of hardwoods for a backyard.
I can't see a single neighbor or the highway, yet I'm an hour's drive from anything I want.

I have waterfowl, deer, turkeys, bears, squirrels, quail, rabbits, and varmints to hunt.
The pond is still a work in progress, but I'll eventually have a manageable balance of hybrid striped bass and black crappie to go with the bass and bluegills.

That is NICE!!!! I have to admit to being just a wee bit jealous----Okay, Yeah, I'm GREEN with Envy! :D
Enjoy!!

So My criteria
Land and house purchase is a must, with new job and retirement, I will be around $99,000 a year before taxes.

Conclealed carry, no permit required to excerise your right, Alaska check
Hunting, not so good, blacktail and elk with bou and bullwinkle Alaska half check
Long range shooting, is 15 miles on open tundra long enough, Alaska check
Land and house, $400k with $5 a year in taxes in town, half acre, half check, see driving could be full check, valley 50k cheaper with full arce+
1 hour driving to university, UAA, 1 hour drive most days from the valley, Alaska check, snow fall, 4 hours, half check, APU, better university, UAF, check,
Living in a small town, Sutton, hour or 4 drive to Anchortown, low tax, good people but not good for outsiders so be Alaskan, land is hit and miss. Chickaloon, growing from Anchorites, Knik, cold and dark winters, 1-4 hour drive, land hard, people harder

WalMart is cheaper than the PX, Walmart about the same as commissary except few items

I get out in less than a year (5 years, not retiring, just getting out). I'm probably going to South Dakota initially because I have some family there. I'd like to end up somewhere in Western Wyoming or Montana eventually.

I've lived in TX, KS, NE, SD, VA, NC, SC, DC, and NV, and have traveled to/stayed in almost every state besides the extreme NE and NW, and where the great plains meet the Rockies is always the best.

Oregon. Easy CCW laws, allows class 3, select fire per federal regulations, less overall tax burden than Washington state, and no sales tax. If Washington state allowed select fire, and didn't have as heavy of a tax burden I would prefer it. I like the sales tax because that way, even burglars, dope dealers, and other people working "under the table" have to help pay toward public needs.

Southern Michigan sucks, western upper peninsula is nice as is areas of the northern lower... but Wyoming or Montana get my vote, unless I could talk the wife into Alaska, but that doesn't fit you question either.

Last edited:
Oregon. Easy CCW laws, allows class 3, select fire per federal regulations, less overall tax burden than Washington state, and no sales tax. If Washington state allowed select fire, and didn't have as heavy of a tax burden I would prefer it. I like the sales tax because that way, even burglars, dope dealers, and other people working "under the table" have to help pay toward public needs.

He's not exactly wrong, but I disagree. Though I did think about moving to Oregon. If you like open minded people, OR and WA are where it's at; I like WA. It's a little more, uh, high class? Not being a dick about that. We don't have MG, SBR/S, but we DID just legalize suppressors, gay marriage and marijuana, and we can vote (what I mean is, you don't always vote for an asshole rep., you actually get a vote, that's why that stuff passed). Not sure of OR. Seattle has one of the highest per capita numbers of post HS and college graduates (second only to Silicon Valley?). UW is beautiful and a great school. Public land is public land, pretty sure you can hunt on base too if you have access (lots of deer in those woods, mostly black tail, they'll even walk up to you). CCW is shall issue and if you can buy a firearm you can CC, period (you have to beg someone in OR, heard county Portland is in doesn't like to issue them either). But there's a judge that sets up a table at WA gunshows and signs permits for residents here, so that's just Portland I hear. Open carry is cool, even in downtown Seattle.

Worst place I've lived: AL. Why? Once they get a buck from you, they don't wanna let you go. Had to argue and fight them to stop taxing a check when I lived out of state, been to jail twice for same library book, been to jail for having a bb gun in public, not open minded about much at all. Lowest level govt. workers act like you work for them.

Good luck finding a new home! 50 different spots to choose.

Strykervet,
Having lived in both states gives me a bit of perspective. In the area where I live in Washington, I don't feel like I'm living in little mexico, and I REALLY like that. In Oregon I bought a house in a middle class neighborhood, and within 10 years my wife was getting afraid to go to the store in the evening because of all the hispanic gangbangers and dope dealers. So I gotta agree with you about the demographics up here.

However, my guess is that in either state I could find good, or bad areas..I'm just in one I really like now...hell, I can even go to the store without at least 50% of the people speaking spanish. Generally, I like hispanics, but I dislike gangbangers of any ilk..it just happened that the hispanics pushed out the skinheads where I lived in Oregon. I don't get on well with any gangsters.

In Oregon, there is state land and BLM land. Shooting on public land in Oregon is much easier and less confusing than in Washington. Up here, there are so many different jurisdictions, it is hard (for me and the guys I have been scouting spots with) to figure out exactly who has control of the land, and if you can get past the gates. Oregon doesn't have nearly as many gates to keep people out as Washington does.

Washington and Oregon both seem run by the liberals that are concentrated in the Willamette valley in Oregon, and from Olympia to seattle in Washington. The central and eastern parts of both states are more conservative, but the liberals really do have the votes to get most of what they want. Same sex marriage, or marijuana are issues that I don't partake of, so they have little impact on me. However both issues verify my contention about liberals getting things their way.

If Washington's class 3 laws were the same as Oregon's, and washington's bite out of my wallet wasn't so harsh, I would vote for Washington. Washington is a beautiful state, and I really enjoy where I'm living here. Although I like the idea behind the sales tax, I wish there was somewhere that Washington would lighten up on me financially. Both states are great, and both have their shortcomings. I'm not moving back to Oregon any time soon, but I do give it a slight edge for my tastes and needs.

My vote is Montana, good sized universities in Mizzoula and Bozeman for work. Hunting is incredible and the country is beautiful as long as you stay in the western half of the state. Montana to me represents 90% of the upside of living in Alaska without 3 months of perpetual darkness and obscenely frigid temps.

According to our Chamber of Commerce, Huntsville, Al. has more military retirees than any where else. Has to be a reason. No elk or antelope, but most everything else your are specifying.

Unknown, I hear 'ya. I haven't lived in OR, but I've been there a few times and had to go train there once, and my wife has friends there, and I used to as well. It's very beautiful too. I'll try to clear up a couple nuances that weren't mentioned before, as well as bring up a couple things that I forgot that were very important: VA and beer.

To keep politics out of it, and I tread lightly here and certainly don't want to break what is really the one rule for most us on this site, is that OR is closer to CA and from experience, bordering states tend to share similar laws and culture.

The marijuana and the gay marriage were mentioned in conjunction with the suppressors to illustrate that it isn't a liberal or a conservative thing at all, it's just a trend towards lightening up and allowing folks to do what they want if it doesn't hurt anyone else, and it is a clear case of democracy at work. And, like I said, the big national news headline and the big three propaganda channels (CNN, MSNBC, FOX) generally don't tend to have any affect on our laws and legislation here. In fact, the suppressors were actually legalized by the legislature, and marijuana and gay marriage were put on ballots for the people to decide. That's how it should be, particularly for extremely contentious or divisive issues, local or national.

I suppose, for lack of saying it any other way, I guess I feel more free living in WA than I ever have in any other state I've ever lived in, visited or worked in for a few months. Not just the fact "We the People" means something when we vote here (it may be this way in OR) which is really big for me, but I do have some awesome stories, one in particular that I could tell, that would most definitely substantiate my claim this place is more free and democratic than average, but they aren't appropriate for this forum I feel so I'll leave it out (though it isn't religious or political at all). I'll just say laws are enforced here, and overall the Sherriff here does a good job, but they aren't zealously enforced on average and I like that. I want them enforced, I don't wanna be fucked with for penny-anny shit. I don't need my truck searched for a broken tail light, for instance, which par for course in some places in the South regardless of race or profile.

Forgot to mention: Seattle is the seat of the VA hospital, which you being a vet may one day need. You may be healthy now, but like the guy that gave my ETS briefing and now myself, I can tell you something can catch up to you later and you'll want to be near a decent facility. VA hospitals are notorious for being old and shitty --it's a govt. hospital NOTHING like the ones on base you are used to. So Seattle is shitty if you get admitted, good ER, lots of diagnostic gear incl. MRI; American Lake is small, no ER, but much less govt. BS (waiting six hours after appt., wasting time other ways, being treated like you're still working for them, etc.). American Lake is pretty nice and that's where I go unless I need a procedure for some reason they can't do. The I have to consider how close that procedure will be close to my testicles or how important it is to my life before I decide to go to Seattle VA --or any other VA facility, and truth be told, Seattle by VA standards is a very nice and up to date facility. Still, I also use civilian doctors too that I trust more for other issues and to get the back surgery I need sooner, when available.

Not having SBS and SBR sucks, but I'm hoping maybe we can change that one day due to safety --reduced velocity and mobility for ever cramped living spaces is one argument, don't you think? MG's may be harder, and they certainly are so costly that there won't be enough support to get it though no matter how you tried, that's just being realistic. Even if I could afford one, I'd get other stuff just due to cost. I shot plenty of 'em in the Army anyway, I was SAW gunner for my first position, and the really fun ones are REAL expensive, SAW's, 240's, not sure about M2's but the .50 is my all-time favorite MG.

We don't really have "bad neighborhoods" and I've never seen a ghetto in WA, period. I've been around, and short of homeless, who have it bad no matter where, even the poorest of neighborhoods here just aren't that bad, they lack the violence. It's just overall a really nice, safe place to live (if you discount the world's most powerful subduction zone just 600mi. off coast and this giant, but LOVELY volcano) with lots of different flavor, different neighborhoods, different cities, I mean, there's somewhere for everyone here and you don't just get that everywhere. There's nowhere I wouldn't walk alone at night either, and I'm not just saying that because I carry.

There are what I'd call "semi-bad" spots, but not many, and only at certain hours. Still, never had trouble. There used to be Hilltop in Tacoma, the infamous site of the shootout between a platoon of Army Rangers BBQ'ing at their PSG's house and some gangsters. But that was a long time ago and it isn't anything like that today. Not the big heroin or crack plague like used to be (from what I hear) in the 70's to early-mid 90's, though it's obviously here.

Back to sharing culture with the state you border. Our biggest borderline (I think) is between us and BC Canada. They're really non-violent and you can walk anywhere there in Vancouver at any time of night too. There, like here, doesn't have a large presence of gangs. I think most of the gang stuff you see painted on a wall here is probably gonna be from a wannabe-gansta, skinny 15yo white kid from a really nice neighborhood. Not to say there isn't a gang presence, to think otherwise would be absurd, but they keep it discreet. This place is 180deg. from 90's Memphis or LA. To compare with OR is simple: we share some of their gun culture and ideas when it comes to voting on issues, but we don't border CA and we don't have any influence from them either. Finding places here to shoot on public land is actually really easy, there are many ways to do it.

Another thing we share with OR is beer (but our beer is better! --just kidding). So OR, WA, MA (but you SURE as hell don't want to go there!) Germany and Holland have all gotta be ranked together somewhere. Seriously, we have good beer and lots of it, lots of microbrewers and home brewers here --you wouldn't call McDonalds a great hamburger, just like you wouldn't call a mass produced beer great either. Good maybe, not great. They make a lot of great beer here though. Lots of taverns where they make it in-house --you can watch, you can smell it. Get it fresh, know the recipe, talk to the brewer. Taphouses. One place has 100+ taps and what, hundreds of bottles? They rotate 'em too. Many, many places have rotating taps of 20-50 or more, along with as many 200+ bottles. Some beers, particularly what Uber carries (my favorite pub on this planet, but packed and smaller than my small house) are so sought and rare, they'll will go out of their way to get beer you can't find or get anywhere else. Really rare stuff, like Hitachino Nest Coffee Stout on tap, and this one beer I forget, only one of 6 kegs sold by the brewery to WA. No Wesleyteren yet, but I expect it one day (if perhaps I just missed it). It was tiny and my neighborhood pub in Seattle, but every neighborhood in Seattle probably has a decent to great pub in walking distance. If you like beer, either OR or WA is the place you need to go to, sorry, forgot to mention it. That's a fact, and if you have MG's or have 'em in your future, well, I suppose it's settled then, isn't it?

When a lot of folks make big purchases here, they may go to OR to do it, or BC depending on where you are. WA WILL hit you for sales tax on internet purchases of firearms, that's new, and that does suck. I'm not really up to speed on WA tax, my wife deals with that, sorry (she does tell me something about it not growing on trees... no, wait, that's in regard to money when I want to buy something!).

So I suppose that's it, I just figured I go to bat for the state I found I love so much and decided to call home despite no family, just me and my wife now, and my former teammate right down the street, or brother actually. It isn't called the Evergreen State for nothing, it truly is green year 'round here in some fashion or another. Lots of just good people too. And OR has a lot of the same good features.

If anything I said or the other fellow, Unknown said, you seriously need to dig a bit deeper and find out which one suits you best, because it may come down to details, and they're both great states and I suppose if my wife wanted to/had to move there for work, I really wouldn't mind it much at all (well, the move would suck).

Perhaps you should come visit, but to get a good idea of it, you need to see East and West of both states. That's crucial. Again, good luck finding a home, sorry so long winded, I won't say anymore I promise. I've just been around and I really love this state and it's very accommodating to vets, particularly retired or disabled ones.

Thanks for your service! My vote would be Coeur d alene Idaho, it's close to a big city with a very good educational system. goggle it and see what it looks like. I seem to remember Barbra Walter's did a piece on it and called it "A Touch of Paradise." Next. would be Wyoming or Helena Montana, great schools, and lots of really nice country. Click on the below link for Coeur d Alene, Id. I would like to move there some day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coe...dkOwdfIAYG_gKAB&ved=0CHEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=878

Last edited:
According to our Chamber of Commerce, Huntsville, Al. has more military retirees than any where else. Has to be a reason. No elk or antelope, but most everything else your are specifying.

I know a lot about this place too. This is where I went to jail for library books, and any time anyone got pulled over (in the 90's anyway) there were ten cop cars called out. As a teen, 18, 19? my friend went to jail and was grilled all night by a (bored? inadept?) "task force" in a "secret" building, pulled over and searched for a cracked tail light, and they found an old, stuck together pack of unused tobacco rolling papers between the seats, nothing else. Oh, and it was a used car he bought a week ago. Overzealous law enforcement if you ask me, and you'll likely be confronted at some point even if you didn't do anything, and to a private individual, that just affects quality of life. Not sure about AL in particular, but shakedowns by cops are frequent in South, especially TN, so don't travel with any decently large amount of cash on you or anything you aren't willing to give up, at least temporarily, while they decide if they can keep it.

But if you are an engineer (or studying to be one?) you'll find a LOT of work and your money will go far there too. Two primary fields: space or defense (or a combination of the two). Nickname is Rocket City USA, for a reason. Super light traffic, so easy to live in country, work in city or at arsenal or university.

I had heard we had the most retirees, etc. here, but maybe that is just disabled or based on different variables. Ft. Lewis has a very fine hospital, Madigan, and I mentioned in brief the VA system. H'ville will have none of that, though its public hospital is one of the best I've seen, very advanced. I suppose the closest large VA facility will be in Birmingham, and I pale to think of how bad it could be.

At Redstone, it has or had what, around 36,000 civilian personnel and around 6,000 military? Mostly EOD? It doesn't have a whole lot of facilities if that interests you. But it's where the 600+ (17 years ago) major defense contractors in Huntsville test their most advanced and latest shit that doesn't require a desert. Tow2, Javelin, etc. Many of the engineers are vets; my dad was one them. If you're an engineer, you'll fit in nicely and have plenty of places to choose to live, and UAH is an engineering school near Redstone, and everything else for that matter.

I always had to take decent drives to find a good spot to hunt whitetail there though. Much of the deer in the N. on public land are gone. Not nearly as much public land there as here.

There are some very good places to shoot, particularly disc'd or plowed cotton/soybean fields, but you'll need permission and be in an area they permit it. Like I said, most of that state is owned land. I didn't find long range shooting nearly as friendly there as I do here. In fact, I live close to no less than 3 outdoor ranges, 2 of which are fully equipped facilities, one to 600y for matches only. In Huntsville, closest outdoor public range was Swan Creek, and it started as just a berm to sight in on for hunting there. It doesn't go far at all, and it used to be a complete dump.

Things have changed, and Huntsville was always a very fast growing city, always, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had a 1 mile facility within 30 miles today. There never was any night life when I lived there, and the girls were hard to come by; because of all the engineers and the fact they are mostly male, well, it became a sausage party. That could have changed by now too.

Race is still an issue there, albeit getting better all the time I suppose. I sure have stories growing up about that. If you're white, some folks feel it perfectly fine to walk up to you and throw around racist slurs in normal conversation. While setting them straight is obviously the right thing to do, it may cause career or personal problems in the end. They just pulled down less than 20 years ago, the Marshall county limit sign, "Welcome to Marshall County, Don't Let the Sun Set on Your Black Ass" with a sunset in the background. Take that into consideration, as it's just one county over.

Hot, humid summers, like Ft. Benning but with more hills and less worthless Southern Pines. The fall, the color change, rivals Vermont in those foothills. If you like country music, Nashville is just up the street, and it while it may or may not be a better spot for you to live, they DO have a lot of concerts and a damn good time there in the summer. Especially River Days, floating barges of band after band while guys with keg backpack come fill you back up for a $1. 2nd and Broadway... Those were some days!

Seriously, done, not coming back to this thread. Good luck finding a good home!

PS, Coeur 'd Alene, or ID, is really close to Spokane (for your university, WSU I think). So beautiful I almost ran off the road, drove through there on I5 at min. and stopped along the way. Would love to live in that kind of beautiful country too. Hard winters. Not sure about racism, but I thought it was the seat of the "White Power" movement. But I could be wrong.

Idaho is not the seat of White Power as it used to be. The Aryan Nation group is greatly reduced. They were involved in criminal activity in Coeur d'Alene, were sued, and lost a 6.3 million dollar lawsuit. They then forfeited their compound in Hayden LakeCoeur d'Alene and what was left of A.N. moved to Florida.

Aryan Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So My criteria

Top,
May I suggest the Ozarks in northern Arkansas? There are several plusses.
About any farmer will let a military guy shoot as far as you want on their land, and it's free with no range goons.

I was medically retired as an e5 after 3.5yrs, so I make about half of your income, and even that is considered pretty wealthy here due to the low cost of living.
Land and houses are cheap.
People are generally good here.
Thee are a lot of colleges around.
I have two rivers and two lakes within 20 min.
Best of all, we will have another patriot in our arsenal!

Oh yeah, you don't even need chl here because you can cc or open carry without a permit, and NFA weapons are welcome.