• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you don’t shoot comps

depends if yr betting or not.
Or just for bragging rights. I’m looking at getting into some ARA .22. Been doing fclass for several years. On a team that’s won several state championships in Michigan.

The .22 stuff will be nice to try. Kids are very young now. For me it’s not just the comps that take time and $ but the reloading. Trying to spend many hours preparing for a state team shoot and regionals etc takes lots of prep. About 200 rounds.

At least with the .22 you just grab a couple bricks and go. Can make the decision to shoot the day before if needed. Plus those are a 1.5 hour drive vs 4.5-6 hours away

I can easily see why people jump into this full bore then bail when life gets busy. I used to have tons of time for the gun room. Not the case anymore

Honestly it’s sometimes nice to go back to where the long range addiction started. On our own property, out to 1100 yards, shooting steel with buddies, zero idiots and nobody complaining about rules or what not.

Comps indeed make you better. But once you burn out from them it doesn’t hurt to backtrack to the roots of why you did it in the first place

You should show us what you are talking about.

A $100 says you can't outshoot me at a game of long range horse.

1 moa targets at increasing range off props moving left to right. 60 seconds to prep. 10 Seconds from the beep to get the shot off. No kestrels, no hard cards, and no watching the other's shots. We start at 100 yards and walk about 50 yards until someone makes it to 800. No prone props.
let's tie cinder blocks to your feet until you drown for $100. You won the award for the dumbest shit I've seen today.

Here, I'll make up a game:

For $100, let's put you in a cowboy costume and I'll drive you around in a wheelbarrow at various speeds and see if you can hit a one moa target at 1,000y before I get bored and dump your limp body into a ditch. Get the fuck out of here with that stupid shit. 🤣🤣🤣

Another thing I would like to add to my previous post. I was watching the Erik Cortina podcast he had with Ryan Cleckner, the Rangers 1/75 sniper team leader I was talking about.

Ryan had mentioned that he thought of himself as a tactical shooter. Such as the leading into the wind thing. He also said He would not likely gurantee hitting the center point at 1,000 yards. But give him a rifle that is shooting 1 MOA reliably and he will get a round in a 10.5 inch area at 1,000 yards.

I don't know what is required to be successful at PRS. What is the nominal rig to have? How much time to devote to it? How much does one spend on this stuff. Separate column for travel expenses.

I know I could not do it.

Ryan went to SOTIC right out of high school. At the time it was the best shooting school in the world.

Ryan has said several times on many podcasts that you should practice off many props. I think he said one of his favorite is the one that takes the shooter down 2-4 inches at a time from standing to modified prone. He is one record that he is a 1 MOA shooter from any position at any time under any condition.

If you live close to a PRS Range, and have a DFAT, and can devote 3 hours a week CONSISTENLY to dry fire and 4 hours every weekend at the range, you can get pretty good. An ARC 6.5CM or a Solus 6.5 Creedmoor are both very competitive. A Burris XTR can go on top of it. With that you can be in the 90% for most club matches with some work at home. I know of two guys who started this year and did just that. A good reloading system will run $1000 used.

The key is to get the fundamentals down and learn how to maintain your gear.

Last edited:
let's tie cinder blocks to your feet until you drown for $100. You won the award for the dumbest shit I've seen today.

For $100, let's put you in a cowboy costume and I'll drive you around in a wheelbarrow at various speeds and see if you can hit a one moa target at 1,000y before I get bored and dump your limp body into a ditch. Get the fuck out of here with that stupid shit. 🤣🤣🤣

How about I put you in the front pot, then load a horny bull in the back, hit him with some water then a cattle prod, open the divider, and see what offspring you produce?

How about I put you in the front pot, then load a horny bull in the back, hit him with some water then a cattle prod, open the divider, and see what offspring you produce?
1703719430983.gif

You sound like the kind of guy who knows where to find a horny bull.

Cobra Poop Cutter, Turds and Football, He’sGay all the way….

If you “literally don’t give a shit” why the fuck you keep showing back up like a section-8 kid looking for his dad?

When I was brand new here, pre SCOUT days, you were the biggest, egotistical piece of shit on this site. Numerous times were you a stupid fucker, and quite a few times directly at me. I didn’t even make the turd cutter connection till someone mentioned it was you a couple months ago. I guess I need to work on forgiveness. Because I remember your petulant ass from fucking 12 years ago. I do care what others think. And that’s why I say fuck you. You’re a 5’6” manlet that fell outta the Keebler elf tree. You should delete your account and just leave. Fucking poser.

Cobra Poop Cutter, Turds and Football, He’sGay all the way….

If you “literally don’t give a shit” why the fuck you keep showing back up like a section-8 kid looking for his dad?

When I was brand new here, pre SCOUT days, you were the biggest, egotistical piece of shit on this site. Numerous times were you a stupid fucker, and quite a few times directly at me. I didn’t even make the turd cutter connection till someone mentioned it was you a couple months ago. I guess I need to work on forgiveness. Because I remember your petulant ass from fucking 12 years ago. I do care what others think. And that’s why I say fuck you. You’re a 5’6” manlet that fell outta the Keebler elf tree. You should delete your account and just leave. Fucking poser.
Who are you talking to?

Well fuck you too then, and your gay lover Cobra Cutter.

I wondered why you came at me with so much anger for saying absolutely nothing to you, or anything that should have ruffled your feathers.

Don't get mad at me because some gay asshole gave you swirlies in high school. I had nothing to do with it.

I wondered why you came at me with so much anger for saying absolutely nothing to you, or anything that should have ruffled your feathers.

Don't get mad at me because some gay asshole gave you swirlies in high school. I had nothing to do with it.
Nah, you definitely have the same vibe. all the same. Hubris so big you can’t even see around it.

Reactions: lash
View attachment 8307182

GFL.

Ask .22 guys “half the fun is spending hours and dollars testing 100 different brands and lots to find one your gun likes “

Was
Not
Expected
Right. Or send to Lapua test center. Lots of guys here do that to

Once it’s tested though you can buy a bunch of the preferred lot #. Then when you want to shoot a comp you just grab from that and go

What I’m saying is no reloading or deciding last minute you want to shoot the match and having 8 hours of ammo prep to do

That’s what I was referring to

I’m sure lots of prs guys run factory stuff. Not many in fclass that I’m aware of that do though. So the ammo prep needs to be taken into consideration for time as well

Reactions: BurtG
Nah, you definitely have the same vibe. all the same. Hubris so big you can’t even see around it.
Hubris? Interesting. I started this whole shit show by daring to suggest that as an alternative to competition, coyote hunting will also help to make someone a better rifleman..... how fucking dare me.

Then I made the fatal mistake of pointing out that PRS is a game..... it is a fucking game.... oh the hubris..

Since then I've basically just defended the barrage of attacks I've received, and now I'm Icarus.

I will not comply, I will not bend the knee, I will not concede to the peer pressure from weak people dying to be accepted. That's feminine behavior, miss me with that shit. I'll die with my sword in my hand. Fuck you.

coyote hunting will also help to make someone a better rifleman..... how fucking dare me.
Well. Your wrong. And won’t admit it.

And you from 2009 and haven’t changed your username.

Uh huh.

I ain’t seen ya before.

Smells not good

Reactions: lash
Hubris? Interesting. I started this whole shit show by daring to suggest that as an alternative to competition, coyote hunting will also help to make someone a better rifleman..... how fucking dare me.

Then I made the fatal mistake of pointing out that PRS is a game..... it is a fucking game.... oh the hubris..

Since then I've basically just defended the barrage of attacks I've received, and now I'm Icarus.

I will not comply, I will not bend the knee, I will not concede to the peer pressure from weak people dying to be accepted. That's feminine behavior, miss me with that shit. I'll die with my sword in my hand. Fuck you.

You deserve no respect. You can't even deal in reality. Every single post you've made is a direct misrepresentation of anything I've ever said. Like a child.
You are wrong. All my posts are spot on. For some reason you are losing yer mind just because I called you out on yer blabbering about how coyote hunters are better than PRS shooters…also that you failed in PRS and made up a bunch of excuses. Sorry I was just pointing out the obvious.

Also I deserve tons of respect. I’m good at PRS and playing call of duty4 on Xbox. Just those two skills plus all the field craft videos I watch on YouTube have prepared me for any shooting situation.

AND I've got way more bow kills than you. Proving I’m not a child…since a child couldn’t have a ton of bow kills like I’ve racked up.

A82EBBBD-FD56-4F3B-BCC5-7671ED35FA96.jpeg

1703723617628.gif

• Haha
Reactions: lash and BurtG
Well. Your wrong. And won’t admit it.

And you from 2009 and haven’t changed your username.

Uh huh.

I ain’t seen ya before.

Smells not good
I'm wrong because you said so?

Eat a fat dick, you're nobody's judge. You're the poster child for the weakness described above.

I created this account in 2009, while I was in sniper school, interestingly enough. Then I never looked at it again. A couple of years ago I was active on long range hunting and was scammed in the PX. Len refused to do anything about it, and even threatened to ban me for making a post about the scammer, conversely, lowlight banned the scammer here after hearing the story. So, I came here and changed my name to what it had been for years on long range hunting. One account ever.

Ryan went to SOTIC right out of high school. At the time it was the best shooting school in the world.

Ryan has said several times on many podcasts that you should practice off many props. I think he said one of his favorite is the one that takes the shooter down 2-4 inches at a time from standing to modified prone. He is one record that he is a 1 MOA shooter from any position at any time under any condition.

If you live close to a PRS Range, and have a DFAT, and can devote 3 hours a week CONSISTENLY to dry fire and 4 hours every weekend at the range, you can get pretty good. An ARC 6.5CM or a Solus 6.5 Creedmoor are both very competitive. A Burris XTR can go on top of it. With that you can be in the 90% for most club matches with some work at home. I know of two guys who started this year and did just that. A good reloading system will run $1000 used.

The key is to get the fundamentals down and learn how to maintain your gear.
So, PRS and adjacent competitions can be affordable in equipment. Although I have heard of shooters having a few barrels spun up and ready to change, if necessary.

I was going to wonder how many people went from PRS to military sniper school, such as SOTIC (they changed the name to something else, now.)

OTOH, Ryan grew up in a family of hunters so he had some experience shooting at some distances and needing to be accurate. I just rewatched his NSSF video on the different shooting positions if you don't have a bench. And I also practice those, even around the house with dry fire (ammo in on location, empty mag in another location and not in the rifle.) Primarily because I hunt and it is on public land. Not only is the land (Wildlife Management Area) unkempt, but you could see a deer all of a sudden and need to get supported fast, even using a nearby tree branch or tree trunk. It has happened to me going to one of the hunting spots.

A doe crossed a county road in front of me from one private property to another. I was driving. I always have my 9 mm on me but we cannot shoot across a public road and going into that other private property, I did not have permission to enter. In my state, it is a state felony to hunt on land for which you do not have permission. I am too pretty for state prison.

Even if she was on the public parcel, that WMA is managed by USFS and you can only rifle hunt a doe if you win a doe permit in the drawing.

Point being, especially on public land, you may have to take a shot of opportunity. So, that is where the quickness of setting up a supported position in PRS or even as the instructions of Ryan come in.

So, I can see where PRS helps with hunting and I think I meant that with my comments about Piet Malan. And not everyone has the ability to hunt from a blind 120 yards from an auto-feeder. And there is nothing wrong with that, BTW.

As for close woods, I encounter them. In the denser parts, I have sights from 70 to 100 yards. In the more open areas, I can range out to about 300 yards, which is within my comfort zone.

On the other hand, my gear is different. As oppose to a 6.5 which has less recoil, I have been carrying this season a 7 PRC, which will hunt anything. Although, one of my comfortable 308s that does just fine with inexpensive hunting ammo is good for anything less than 400 yards (I go by impact velocity.)

Man, this thread has gone around and around and I cannot even remember what Burt was talking about and I am too lazy to go back and look.

Am I an okay hunter without having done PRS? Sure. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

I also like the idea that even if you don't have the time or even some discretionary income (that will be necessary, especially for travel,) betting a case of beer or a bottle of whiskey on precision shots can be good. My boss made 200 dollars on a bet. He took his Windham Weaponry (he turned me on to that company, which by the way, has survived and will come back) AR-15 and popped a balloon at 850 yards.

And if it comes to saving money, I would probably save money toward a hunt. I think that is fully because I am not in the precision rifle industry, if there is one.

I work for an electrical contractor and it takes my day for 12 hours, whether in the office or out. And other life things prevent me from travelling a lot and let's face it, no one is setting up PRS events for Saturday morning in my part of the world because that is the only free time I have for personal stuff.

If you devote all of your time to it, though, you could be good. The band, Guns and Roses were so broke when they started, band members took turns sleeping in the storage unit with the equipment or on the couch in the house of Slash's grandma. That is commitment to the dream.

Is that what you need to become the best in PRS? I don't know but there may also be something to the 10,000 hours to achieve competency thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldloser
You should show us what you are talking about.

A $100 says you can't outshoot me at a game of long range horse.

1 moa targets at increasing range off props moving left to right. 60 seconds to prep. 10 Seconds from the beep to get the shot off. No kestrels, no hard cards, and no watching the other's shots. We start at 100 yards and walk about 50 yards until someone makes it to 800. No prone props.
I would try that, even if I failed miserably. There is no such thing as not having fun making boom sticks go "boom."

Last edited:
. You’re a 5’6” manlet that fell outta the Keebler elf tree. You should delete your account and just leave. Fucking poser.
5' 6"? Now my mental image is ruined. In 1982, I was 6' 6". I went to my 40 year high school reunion last year.

There was a lot of old people.

But it did not stop me from being Senor Pendejo. One of my class mates was Tom Cruise height in high school. I mentioned to him that I was 6' 6" at graduation. But the past 40 years wore me down to a shrimpy 6' 4". He said he could still use some of those inches. My other classmate, David, who only lives at the other end of the county from me, has lost his hair. I still have my hair and no gray and I do not use coloring product.

But I digress.

I had the habit of describing someone as kind of short and then, after a while, compared to me, most of the world was "kind of short."

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Getting old and white-haired. I shot some comp for some years, and now I'm back on the shelf. The time comes when the mind is willing, but the body betrays us.

There is still a way of competing. It's about pitting yourself against yourself. You shoot a stage all by yourself, and the target never lies. If your scores improve, you're winning. If they don't, you ain't.

Another way is to train your replacement. My Grandson has gotten my guns, and he's ready and willing. Shot my old Mosin in the Archangel stock with a bigger bucks Bushnell in the Scout mounting. He was slaying the steel at 300 meters, and he wasn't missing.

Fun, that...; beats sitting on the Couch with NetFlickery, waiting for God.

Greg

Getting old and white-haired. I shot some comp for some years, and now I'm back on the shelf. The time comes when the mind is willing, but the body betrays us.

There is still a way of competing. It's about pitting yourself against yourself. You shoot a stage all by yourself, and the target never lies. If your scores improve, you're winning. If they don't, you ain't.

Another way is to train your replacement. My Grandson has gotten my guns, and he's ready and willing. Shot my old Mosin in the Archangel stock with a bigger bucks Bushnell in the Scout mounting. He was slaying the steel at 300 meters, and he wasn't missing.

Fun, that...; beats sitting on the Couch with NetFlickery, waiting for God.

Greg
Best post.

Before everyone gets banned and the thead nuked.... I just wanted to say thank you. I am stealing a bunch of memes and the comment "section 8 kid looking for his dad" Holy shit thats fucked up. I'm saving that one for the right occasion.

Also, I have been hunting since I was a little kid in upstate NY. Spending more time hunting, reading and learning about hunting has made me better at hunting. Shooting pistol matches, PRS styl 22 matches and recreational centerfire long range shooting has made me way better at shooting. There is a part of hunting where you shoot stuff, and I am better at that because I shoot way more than just when I go hunting. Most of the time I go out in the woods and the field and I don't even fire a single shot. When I go to a match I know I'm shooting a hundred rounds.

Before everyone gets banned and the thead nuked.... I just wanted to say thank you. I am stealing a bunch of memes and the comment "section 8 kid looking for his dad" Holy shit thats fucked up. I'm saving that one for the right occasion.

Also, I have been hunting since I was a little kid in upstate NY. Spending more time hunting, reading and learning about hunting has made me better at hunting. Shooting pistol matches, PRS styl 22 matches and recreational centerfire long range shooting has made me way better at shooting. There is a part of hunting where you shoot stuff, and I am better at that because I shoot way more than just when I go hunting. Most of the time I go out in the woods and the field and I don't even fire a single shot. When I go to a match I know I'm shooting a hundred rounds.
Here is another meme to take with you.

I maintain a youthful outlook. That is because I read at a 6th grade level.

If you devote all of your time to it, though, you could be good. The band, Guns and Roses were so broke when they started, band members took turns sleeping in the storage unit with the equipment or on the couch in the house of Slash's grandma. That is commitment to the dream.

Is that what you need to become the best in PRS? I don't know but there may also be something to the 10,000 hours to achieve competency thing.

The good thing about being broke is that you only do what you have to do to get better. No TV, no going out, no distractions. All you have is free time to focus on getting better.

There are a lot of distractions in our lives that allow us to make excuses about not doing the important things.

Another thing I would like to add to my previous post. I was watching the Erik Cortina podcast he had with Ryan Cleckner, the Rangers 1/75 sniper team leader I was talking about.

Ryan had mentioned that he thought of himself as a tactical shooter. Such as the leading into the wind thing. He also said He would not likely gurantee hitting the center point at 1,000 yards. But give him a rifle that is shooting 1 MOA reliably and he will get a round in a 10.5 inch area at 1,000 yards.

I don't know what is required to be successful at PRS. What is the nominal rig to have? How much time to devote to it? How much does one spend on this stuff. Separate column for travel expenses.

I know I could not do it.
Back when I was looking to play some form of long range game I started to look at the different versions of the game. Some of them use VERY heavy rifles that there is no way in the world I could now even carry around anymore.

There was one game I was really interested in. It has blind stages where you did not know what the target was, how far away it was. The range master with you would only answer yes no questions. I see a square target about 3 at roughly 400 yards is that the first target......yes. That seemed like a fun game, and you can only use things you could carry in. Yea right....carry. I take a cart down to the range if I bring one rifle and 10 rounds of ammo.

It did look like some fun games. One reason I said if you are thinking about doing it and can afford it do it now, you will not be able to do it forever.

Back when I was looking to play some form of long range game I started to look at the different versions of the game. Some of them use VERY heavy rifles that there is no way in the world I could now even carry around anymore.

There was one game I was really interested in. It has blind stages where you did not know what the target was, how far away it was. The range master with you would only answer yes no questions. I see a square target about 3 at roughly 400 yards is that the first target......yes. That seemed like a fun game, and you can only use things you could carry in. Yea right....carry. I take a cart down to the range if I bring one rifle and 10 rounds of ammo.

It did look like some fun games. One reason I said if you are thinking about doing it and can afford it do it now, you will not be able to do it forever.
There is nothing requiring a heavy rifle, people tend to gravitate towards one for various reasons. But you can absolutely use a 10lb hunting rifle if thats what you want to shoot.

You can and should disregard the yardage in the match book and verify it yourself. Then familiarize yourself with landmarks to find the targets easily while on the clock. Just like hunting.

Thats the great thing about competition, you get to choose what you get out of the experience.

NRL hunter would be fun, unfortunately the east coast does not have many places that can run that style of match.

I apologize. I am an ass. Stick around, I have better ones.

Meh. Do both. Be well rounded.

Most hunters would be hard pressed to hit beyond 300 yards.

Most don’t have turrets. , drop info etc
The last time I went with a friend to his deer lease, we were talking about shooting long distance while shooting the bull in camp. One guy in the bunch had never sent a bullet 300 yards. I asked him why not, and he said he had no need to shoot that far. Most of the feeders on this place are 100-150 yards, with shots that could go to 300 if you wanted. I asked how far he was comfortable shooting an animal and he said 75 yards.
What movie was that from?
I know I've seen it.
my first thought when I read it was deadwood. Not sure though.

Reactions: BurtG
I just recently quit prs and sold most of my gear. The reason I did isn't because I don't enjoy the game, but that I don't have time. I am in a position that allows me the finances to compete at the top, but I don't have the time. I have a 4 year old and she wants to hang out with her daddy when I'm not working 70+ hours a week. The time I was able to commit to it only made me a lower middle of the pack competitor, with some catastrophic failures caused by a lack of time to prep properly (mostly ammo related). I realized that to be good, or even great, I'd have to find a way to commit significant time to it every week. I'd have to sacrifice multiple weekends a month to attend matches. I just don't have the time. Time is what money won't buy. I'm not knocking competition, and it definitely makes everyone better, and drives development in ballistics and gear, but, like I said in the beginning, being an excellent prs competititor won't make you an excellent anything else.
Dude, you are on the right track. This is the way. I also wanted to watch my daughters grow up and spend every second I could with them. Hanging at rifle comps, regardless of how well you finish, isn't in the same universe...

Reactions: mtrmn
There is nothing requiring a heavy rifle, people tend to gravitate towards one for various reasons. But you can absolutely use a 10lb hunting rifle if thats what you want to shoot.

You can and should disregard the yardage in the match book and verify it yourself. Then familiarize yourself with landmarks to find the targets easily while on the clock. Just like hunting.

Thats the great thing about competition, you get to choose what you get out of the experience.

NRL hunter would be fun, unfortunately the east coast does not have many places that can run that style of match.
I think that was the name of that game.

I have still thought about it, And thought about doing it with one of my "better" sporting rifles. I have a 243 that I can bang a 8" steel plate at 200 all day long (off a rest, I can't off hand anymore, that side is just so weak).

I just think the issues with the left arm is really going to make it not a good fit for me, but truth be told I have not looked into it.

Currently I will just go out back and bang away. I think I will be happy just there for a while....I think I might have waited just too long.

There are a few schools that have blind graduation exercises still. Target placement is quite clever. Even really good shooters shoot the wrong targets.

PRS being a game isn’t any new news. All shooting sports are a game; even Service Rifle. You build a gun specialized for that specific game. The most non-gaming shooting sport I can think of is Vintage Sniper because you are limited to only sniper rifles of that era, but you still wear a shooting coat and have a spotting scope next to you to read wind along with the ranges wind flags. A shooting coat is certainly nice when shooting a 1903A1 or A4 with a metal butt plate repeatedly too.

However, with all these games shooting them will make you better marksman. Some of these games will make you a more adaptable marksman, and some focus a lot on fundamentals than others. At the end of the day, shooting them will make folks overall a better marksman.

Last edited: