• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you don’t shoot comps

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    You’re hindering your growth.

You can disagree. But you will be wrong

Nothing like a timer to show errors in your equipment and technique.
    And the whole thing pushes you out your comfort zone and motivates you to do better

You do gotta watch out for some of the jerseys tho:
    0F5B9542-2432-4FA5-99E9-75BEA32915D6.jpeg

Absolutely agree . And it's one side of the coin . Comp is skill . Dry fire , flat range , failure drills are all the skill side . Tactics are the other side . CQB , Small Unit etc are the Tactics side .
    Firearms are a Martial Art and one should train accordingly .

It definitely changed my perspective, and got me way more focused on shooting position and technique ... bringing that work to an equivalency with the equipment and load development. It's one thing to put five rounds in the bullseye at 100 yards from a bench. Quite another to hit varmint targets at 200, 300, 500 and 700 with a timer on you and someone recording hits and misses. BTW ... if you live in the Northwest, the Long Range Varmint Silhouette competition every month in Parma Idaho is an awesome test of all aspects of your game.

Or you can hunt coyotes year round. I've done a bit of both, and they are different, while a good coyote hunter may not walk into a prs match and immediately start winning trophies, he's an infinitely better woodsman, and better at real world field expedient shooting than someone who only shoots comps. Comps are a game with very specific rules, coyotes don't know the rules, they do what they want. If I had to go into a lopsided firefight tomorrow, I'd take the seasoned coyote hunter 10 to 1 over the jersey wearing prs guy with his 25lb rifle, backpack full of bags, and a piece of paper in his hand telling him exactly where all of his targets are located, the ranges, and how and where he should shoot them from. PRS is about like crossfit, doing crossfit makes you really good at doing crossfit.

You know nothing about coyote hunters. Nothing.

The good ones have a better grip on that than prs boys.
    Meh. I said most. I didn’t say all. Or the good ones.

You take the top 1-5 percent of yote hunters and the top 1-5 percent prs and you be surprised

Meh. I said most. I didn’t say all. Or the good ones.

You take the top 1-5 percent of yote hunters and the top 1-5 percent prs and you be surprised
    No, I wouldn't be. You take those prs guys after coyotes and unless it is something they are already doing (there are definitely people doing both), they will be humiliated all day long.

The coyote hunters aren't going to go out and win a prs match on the first try, but I'll bet they would do really well at NRL hunter matches.

Real targets don't stand still and tell you their ranges. They don't give you real time shared data on wind and atmospherics. You can't stand there spinning your kestrel while a living target swings gently on a pole. You can't carry a 25lb rifle to a conveniently placed rest at a convenient height. It absolutely makes you a better shooter, but not a better hunter, and not better at any real world scenario where you need a rifle. In reality, targets are unpredictable, almost always moving, small kill zones, and misses can have consequences depending in the scenario. Again, it's shooting crossfit.

Most hunters would be hard pressed to hit beyond 300 yards.
    Well no, I’m quite competent to 200 maybe 250 yards. Anything beyond that is pressing my desire to get a clean kill.

Plus my main hunting rifle (s) a .25-06 and .35 Whelen are both sighted in at 200 yards. That means I am really pressing 300 with the .25 and out of the game past 250 with the .35. But that’s just me. My deer don’t hit the ground at the sound of the shot like those well trained television deer, that when shot at 900 yards, hit the ground so hard and so fast they actually bounce.

I’ve seen the accuracy of a 155 howitzer at over the mountain ridge distances, (and its shockingly good) but even an inert 155 round, hitting a deer would pretty much spoil most of the meat. Point, those television deer act like a 155 round hit them.

155’s shooting DT‘s at LZ Chippewa from LZ Fat City. They were good, DAMNED GOOD!

IMG_2586.jpeg

I thought I knew how to read wind until I had to shoot to 2000 yards in an ELR light match.
    I thought I knew how to shoot under pressure until I shot a PRS match on the clock with everyone watching.
    I thought I knew how to work as a team until I shot a team sniper challenge.
    I thought I knew how to find and engage targets until I shot the Steel Safari.

You don't know what you don't know.

Point being, there is so much to learn in all the different disciplines of precision rifle shooting. Get out and do as many as you can and have fun.

Matches are games, and the game naturally twists the equipment and techniques to excel in that venue alone. PRS is there now. Ridiculous guns and a bunch stupid support equipment that nobody would bother with in any other venue. Its not all bad of course, but its definitely not for everyone.

No, I wouldn't be. You take those prs guys after coyotes and unless it is something they are already doing (there are definitely people doing both), they will be humiliated all day long.

The coyote hunters aren't going to go out and win a prs match on the first try, but I'll bet they would do really well at NRL hunter matches.

Real targets don't stand still and tell you their ranges. They don't give you real time shared data on wind and atmospherics. You can't stand there spinning your kestrel while a living target swings gently on a pole. You can't carry a 25lb rifle to a conveniently placed rest at a convenient height. It absolutely makes you a better shooter, but not a better hunter, and not better at any real world scenario where you need a rifle. In reality, targets are unpredictable, almost always moving, small kill zones, and misses can have consequences depending in the scenario. Again, it's shooting crossfit.
    Im convinced the top prs shooters are the best long range shooters in the world hands down. The skills easily transfer to light rifles and tripod shooting. Also when you spend every weekend of your life shooting long range its easy to judge distance not to mention equipment like the impact 4k. Night time will take getting used to but any of the top 30% of prs guys will quickly come to speed. Especially if you give us a flat shooter like a 22cm or 22 250

Reactions: camocorvette
    I spent a year training on my own and freeking sucked. In 2 months of matches i learned more than i had the previous year and was much better off for it. I cant get enough if practical shooting sports. Plus in most cases the people are great and willing to teach you.

I agree that competing at any level will make you better, the higher the level the more you learn the better you get.

But, at the same time it can make you think you can't shoot for shit as you move up and down that leaderboard. In reality if you are competing at high club level or better you are probably shooting in the top 20% of all gun owners.

You’re hindering your growth.

You can disagree. But you will be wrong

Nothing like a timer to show errors in your equipment and technique.
    And the whole thing pushes you out your comfort zone and motivates you to do better

You do gotta watch out for some of the jerseys tho:
    View attachment 8305191

I agree, as when I started continually competing in service rifle and pistol matches when I was in; my fundamentals improved noticeably.

I don't quite see the argument made above where coyote hunters are the be-all, end-all of practical shooters either.

However nothing improved my shooting skills more than shooting at living things. To be able to draw/build a hasty position, aim, and hit something where failure has more consequence than a bad time is difficult to train for on a flat range, but it works fantastic if you can train that way.

(Pistol) It could be something relativity insignificant like a moving armadillo at 20 yards where if you screw it up your garden gets wrecked another night...or it could be like last summer when a cottonmouth slithered into the creek and started for my little girls that were playing in the water.

(Rifle) I don't do the 'Pee Arr Ess', but ~80% of my coyotes, skunks, and daytime hogs are shot from PRS-like positions off of grills, rocks, fenceposts, the back of a SxS, and even a ladder. To give critters another chance to harm your livelihood creates a touch more focus I'd argue.

This is where competition and hunting can actually mutually benefit each other though. I may not compete...but I sure see the value of it from a practical standpoint.

I don't get into the timers, wind meters, or 27 different bags and pillows because they aren't relevant to ranch life, but I will never argue against your point that competition and a little stress increases one's proficiency.

One of the reasons they created the hunter matches was because people were talking the same shit you are. Turns out the same guys win without all that gear and weight....shocker
    Im not saying any of them are bad shooters, i’m saying the game is uninteresting. Id say the same thing about Benchrest shooting, and Nascar racing.

One of the reasons they created the hunter matches was because people were talking the same shit you are. Turns out the same guys win without all that gear and weight....shocker
    I think being at the upper echelon of the prs circuit, or any of the others is by far a function of phase of life and of course level of commitment. Guys who are independently wealthy, or have friends in the industry where they can get sponsors early have a significant advantage. If you've shot prs for 10 minutes you know that it is insanely expensive, time consuming, and requires non-stop practice and development. There aren't many people out there that can afford to shoot 20k rounds a year, drive or fly all over the planet every weekend, and devote the time neccessary just to load that much ammo. Being at the top of the prs leaderboard consistently requires so much more than shooting ability. In fact, shooting ability isn't even in the top 10 reasons most of those guys are where they are..

I think being at the upper echelon of the prs circuit, or any of the others is by far a function of phase of life and of course level of commitment. Guys who are independently wealthy, or have friends in the industry where they can get sponsors early have a significant advantage. If you've shot prs for 10 minutes you know that it is insanely expensive, time consuming, and requires non-stop practice and development. There aren't many people out there that can afford to shoot 20k rounds a year, drive or fly all over the planet every weekend, and devote the time neccessary just to load that much ammo. Being at the top of the prs leaderboard consistently requires so much more than shooting ability. In fact, shooting ability isn't even in the top 10 reasons most of those guys are where they are..
    I agree with that. I looked at what i spent last year and almost got sick.

Im not saying any of them are bad shooters, i’m saying the game is uninteresting. Id say the same thing about Benchrest shooting, and Nascar racing.
    Its not for everybody but the training opportunities are great. Starting to see a lot more snipers playing the game.

How I reacted when I first shot with a timer taught me all I need to firmly cement my beliefs about comps. They definitely expose flaws and make better shooters. Doesn't matter what discipline.

I just recently quit prs and sold most of my gear. The reason I did isn't because I don't enjoy the game, but that I don't have time. I am in a position that allows me the finances to compete at the top, but I don't have the time. I have a 4 year old and she wants to hang out with her daddy when I'm not working 70+ hours a week. The time I was able to commit to it only made me a lower middle of the pack competitor, with some catastrophic failures caused by a lack of time to prep properly (mostly ammo related). I realized that to be good, or even great, I'd have to find a way to commit significant time to it every week. I'd have to sacrifice multiple weekends a month to attend matches. I just don't have the time. Time is what money won't buy. I'm not knocking competition, and it definitely makes everyone better, and drives development in ballistics and gear, but, like I said in the beginning, being an excellent prs competititor won't make you an excellent anything else.

I just recently quit prs and sold most of my gear. The reason I did isn't because I don't enjoy the game, but that I don't have time. I am in a position that allows me the finances to compete at the top, but I don't have the time. I have a 4 year old and she wants to hang out with her daddy when I'm not working 70+ hours a week. The time I was able to commit to it only made me a lower middle of the pack competitor, with some catastrophic failures caused by a lack of time to prep properly (mostly ammo related). I realized that to be good, or even great, I'd have to find a way to commit significant time to it every week. I'd have to sacrifice multiple weekends a month to attend matches. I just don't have the time. Time is what money won't buy. I'm not knocking competition, and it definitely makes everyone better, and drives development in ballistics and gear, but, like I said in the beginning, being an excellent prs competititor won't make you an excellent anything else.
    There are very, very few things in this world I would give up significant time with a young child of mine for. A game like PRS or any recreational shooting sport isn't one of them, not by a long shot.

List the top 10 reasons why those guys are where they are.

Very few people are paying their bills with shooting. Gotta take care of the important stuff first. Matches will still be here when you have more time(so long as we can keep our country together).

Team and field matches where you have to find, range, and engage truely refine your marksmanship skill sets. Communication, equipment selection & refinement, usability, and proficiency are more important than being a “good shooter” and shooting “tight groups”. Being able to carry your equipment over distance, deploy and manage it on the clock, and move with it quickly are the most important aspects. I have paired down my equipment considerably from what a typical “PRS” load out is to date. PRS at this point is nothing more than tactical bench rest / F class and is just a game.

List the top 10 reasons why those guys are where they are.
    I'm surprised this is an issue for anyone. Here are some things more important than shooting ability to be in the top of that roster consistently:

Time
    Money
    Flexibility of schedule
    Flexibility of family life
    Drive/ commitment/ motivation
    Personality (leads to sponsorships and shooting buddies). Nobody I've ever seen at the top level isn't part of a larger group of shooters also at the top of the heap.
    An analytical mind
    Physical traits and the ability to turn them into a style.
    Geographic location
    Access to an appropriate range
    And 50 other things

I'm surprised this is an issue for anyone. Here are some things more important than shooting ability to be in the top of that roster consistently:

Time
    Money
    Flexibility of schedule
    Flexibility of family life
    Drive/ commitment/ motivation
    Personality (leads to sponsorships and shooting buddies). Nobody I've ever seen at the top level isn't part of a larger group of shooters also at the top of the heap.
    An analytical mind
    Physical traits and the ability to turn them into a style.
    Geographic location
    Access to an appropriate range
    And 50 other things
    Well that is an interesting perspective for sure.

Im convinced the top prs shooters are the best long range shooters in the world hands down. The skills easily transfer to light rifles and tripod shooting. Also when you spend every weekend of your life shooting long range its easy to judge distance not to mention equipment like the impact 4k.
    Two points in support of your position

One of the top shooters and a current participant in this years AG Cup, shot a .308 weighing something like 10-11 pounds in the tactical division for most of this year. He is a member of this community. Even shooting a rifle that was not specifically a PRS rifle, he typically finished well inside the top 20 among the best in the world. His words, paraphrased, “I wanted to get away from the heavy rifles and shoot something that was fun”. Yes, the top shooters are not equipment challenged.

Second, PRS shooting does lend itself to hunting, even though PRS style rifles may not.

Background; I am not hunting this year, lost the lease we hunted on, the owner of the lease, a fine man, I much respected, died at the way too young age of 63. That said, though Louisiana has a very liberal limit, I limit myself to two deer per year. Brenda and I don’t need more and as we are in our middle 70’s and process our own deer, it is a bit much to process more anyway.

All that said, both deer shot this past year were shot with a rifle balanced PRS style using my Armageddon Game Changer bag. The Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06 balanced perfectly on the blind magazine. The first deer hit the ground on the first shot, got right back up and the second shot, running the bolt as in a match, got the second shot off, again making a kill shot on the deer. (The deer was dead on the first shot, probably would not have gone more than a few yards, but when he got up, I was not about to let him get into that thick brush with darkness less than 20 minutes away.). Second deer, pictured below, stepped into a lane, rifle was ready, bumped my Brenda to see, rifle was ready shot went off and he went about 30 yards. This deer is on the wall.

So, yes, top shooters don’t have to have 25 pound rifles shooting 6Dashers to be competitive and even us who typically are closer to the ”Red Lantern” award than the prize table, can see benefits in our hunting from preparing for and shooting PRS matches.

Changing the subject. Why some fellows and ladies will never be in the top ten. Some folks are shooting well and having fun shooting steel. Fun is the key word.

Last edited:

One of the top shooters and a current participant in this years AG Cup, shot a .308 weighing something like 10-11 pounds in the tactical division for most of this year. He is a member of this community. Even shooting a rifle that was not specifically a PRS rifle, he typically finished well inside the top 20 among the best in the world. His words, paraphrased, “I wanted to get away from the heavy rifles and shoot something that was fun”. Yes, the top shooters are not equipment challenged.

Second, PRS shooting does lend itself to hunting, even though PRS style rifles may not.

Background; I am not hunting this year, lost the lease we hunted on, the owner of the lease, a fine man, I much respected, died at the way too young age of 63. That said, though Louisiana has a very liberal limit, I limit myself to two deer per year. Brenda and I don’t need more and as we are in our middle 70’s and process our own deer, it is a bit much to process more anyway.

All that said, both deer shot this past year were shot with a rifle balanced PRS style using my Armageddon Game Changer bag. The Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06 balanced perfectly on the blind magazine. The first deer hit the ground on the first shot, got right back up and the second shot, running the bolt as in a match, got the second shot off, again making a kill shot on the deer. (The deer was dead on the first shot, probably would not have gone more than a few yards, but when he got up, I was not about to let him get into that thick brush with darkness less than 20 minutes away.). Second deer, pictured below, stepped into a lane, rifle was ready, bumped my Brenda to see, rifle was ready shot went off and he went about 30 yards. This deer is on the wall.

So, yes, top shooters don’t have to have 25 pound rifles shooting 6Dashers to be competitive and even us who typically are closer to the ”Red Lantern” award than the prize table, can see benefits in our hunting from preparing for and shooting PRS matches.
    Nobody has disputed that competition will make you better.

However, shooting whitetails from a fixed position on claustrophobic Louisiana is about a .3 on a scale of hunting difficulty. I have been killing them all of my life in TN, so I'm not talking out of my ass. The best deer hunters I know have never heard of PRS. The crossover you're talking about are just basic shooting skills. They existed long before the invention of PRS.

Nobody has disputed that competition will make you better.

However, shooting whitetails from a fixed position on claustrophobic Louisiana is about a .3 on a scale of hunting difficulty. I have been killing them all of my life in TN, so I'm not talking out of my ass. The best deer hunters I know have never heard of PRS. The crossover you're talking about are just basic shooting skills. They existed long before the invention of PRS.
    No doubt, but at 75, shooting anything for most people is pure luck. I’m proud as can be to be so blessed and I am blessed, even with the prospect of the use of one eye. Time and the doctor’s will tell me what those prospects are this Wednesday.

No doubt, but at 75, shooting anything for most people is pure luck. I’m proud as can be to be so blessed and I am blessed, even with the prospect of the use of one eye. Time and the doctor’s will tell me what those prospects are this Wednesday.
    Sir, I applaud you for staying with it at your age. I'm 43 and already feel time creeping into my body. I pray that I will be able to hunt until the day I die, since it is the only thing in my life that I have never lost interest in, from the first spruce grouse I killed with my bb gun at 5 in Alaska. People die, come and go, sports mattered for a while, my military carreer, my wife and kids, etc... and I have never lost my passion for the hunt. It is the only thing that has survived the twists and turns of life, and I dare say that I'm more passionate about it every year, and maybe because I'm aware of the fact that it could one day be taken from me by age or disability. I've seen old men give up on hunting, and there may be nothing more sad. I hope you can hunt for another 40 years.

Changing the subject. Why some fellows and ladies will never be in the top ten. Some folks are shooting well and having fun shooting steel. Fun is the key word.
    I want to challenge something you said here. I am very familiar with the guy you are talking about. We shoot at the same range. I've shot in his squad a few times. He's been shooting a .308 in the open for at least the last 5 years. His gun doesn't weight 10-11lbs, it's in a TCS stock with a 1.25 straight barrel. It's 20+lbs like everyone else's. He's also won this before shooting a similar rifle. He's a stud, no doubt about it, but make no mistake, he's shooting a prs (I believe "boat anchor" was bandied about above").

@M4orturnate @Dead Eye Dick I could not disagree more that the top PRS shooters are the best in the world. Put those same “top PRS” shooters in a “real life” situation where they have to ruck with all equipment for time, read a stage brief while rucking, come up to a blind stage on the clock, find/range/engage targets and shoot pistol on the clock and I guarantee yall those “top PRS” will not be the top shooters anymore.

Matches like NASTI, USASOC, Steel City, Chaos Concepts, Dark Corner Concepts, Mammoth determine the true marksmen

You are wrong. And I can tell you haven’t spent much time squadded with top level shooters. At the highest level in PRS it’s basically mental and shooting ability. The top competitors have more natural ability than the rest. This translates across all “sports” or endeavors in life. Sponsors give you zero advantage and can be more of a hindrance than anything.

Unfortunately not everyone is created equal. There are many examples of shooters that pick up a rifle and are immediately better than someone that has been doing it for years.

When people make excuses for their poor execution in a sport it’s very common to blame…money,time,etc etc. Most of the time they just are not good and don’t /cant put the effort into being good.

Many of the top competitors I know have little kids…jobs that require time…not a ton of income. They make it work with what they have because they have drive and focus. They can place top 10 at 2day matches shooting less than most competitors and spend more time with their kids than most competitors. Plus have the ability to cover their shooting costs off the prize table.