• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you have any of these .338 bullets can you measure the OGIVE for me?

csdilligaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
San Diego CA
dsmachinewerks.com
Since bullets are so hard to find right now and I am just looking to see what I can work up for numbers with other than what I have now, does anyone have these to measure for me?

I would like the Over all length and the ogive from the back of the bullet.

.338 300 grain Sierra Match King
.338 250 grain Sierra Match King
Berger Bullets 338 Caliber 300 Grain Hybrid OTM Tactical
250 grain Lapua Scenar
300 grain Lapua Scenar
If you have any or all the help would be greatly appreciated

250gr Scenar (older cardboard box):

Bullet 1: 1.557"/.863"

Bullet 2: 1.558"/.863"

Bullet 3" 1.560"/.864"

250gr SMK (~4-5yrs old):

Bullet 1: 1.573"/.806"

Bullet 2: 1.569"/.806"

Bullet 3: 1.570"/.807"

250gr Berger OTM Hybrid (New shit):

Bullet 1: 1.630"/.774" (this one was peaked pretty badly)

Bullet 2: 1.624"/.774"

Bullet 3: 1.625"/.773"

300gr SMK: (ca. 2005-2006):

Bullet 1: 1.715"/.959"

Bullet 2: 1.714"/.959"

Bullet 3: 1.710"/.959"

That's the best I can do with what I have. Stoney Point/Hornady .33 cal bullet comparator.

Chris

To give you the ogive length, we'd have to know the diameter of the bullet at the ogive position you seek. The ogive, as I understand it, is the taper or curve from where the bullet is full diameter to the tip...so is a constantly changing target for measurement. I.e., where on the ogive do you wish the base measurement to be taken? Not that I can do it, but if others can they need that position.

I thought that the ogive measurement tools that we all use had a standard. But the Hornady gauge for .338 actually has a .327" dia hole. If yours is a different dia please let us know. Seems a standard would make sense but who knows these days.

I thought that the ogive measurement tools that we all use had a standard. But the Hornady gauge for .338 actually has a .327" dia hole. If yours is a different dia please let us know. Seems a standard would make sense but who knows these days.

Well, this is the crux of the problem, like Old Naval Dude was alluding to and you touch upon. There really is no standard and even if bullet comparators had a standard sized 'hole', that doesn't mean much because barrel chambers/throats/leades and rifling can vary a little bit.

One guy's lands start at .330" and another guy's lands start at .328". That .002" difference will allow that bullet to be seated deeper into the throat, on the .330" bore.

Measured using my Mitutoyo digital calipers with a resolution of .0005", I get .3270", FWIW.

Chris

The one I am really interested in is the Berger 300 gr OTM tactical. For the extreme long range that plan on shooting I think every bit of higher BC is needed. I have a 2000 meter range and building what is for the most part a rail gun. Shooting from a concrete bench. I'm only shooting at that range with a target backstop that is 8'x16' and want to hone my wind reading skill. Which I will admit really needs some work.
Every time the bergers pop up for sale they are gone before I can click "buy it"

Four 300gr OTMs measured, base to Ogive on Hornady LnL comparator.
Also measure diameter of 0.3275.

.9670 / .9665 / .9665 / .9670

P7....what was the OAL? Then I can calculate the jump to lands with my chamber and mag capacity. Thanks so much for the numbers guys. I have been trying to buy sample bullets but can hardly find much of anything as you all know.