• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes If you were just starting...

BSCKprecision

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2011
TN
Im torn between the SWFA SS fixed 10x and a Millet trs-1 4-16x. If you were starting and were willing to spend up to $400 for an optic which would you pick? Open to all suggestions. Thanks

Re: If you were just starting...

Mueller Tac II

That's the one scope that has stayed with me from the beginning. Decent glass, excellent tracking, crazy amounts of reticle travel for a 1" tube, compact, light, and consistent.

I now have Zeiss Victory, March, an incoming SS HD 5-20 and my old inexpensive trusty steed, the Mueller TacII. All the rest of my early days scopes have fallen by the wayside.

I was in that situation and got a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50, used for less than $400. You can get a new Viper 6.5-20x44 for around $400. The negatives are the capped turrets, but are a good value otherwise. The SWFA SS 10x42 or 16x42 would be good and might have better tracking than the Viper.

I have the weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 1" tube. Nice scope in a smaller package. Its mil mil, solid, and tracks very nicely, also on sale again at midway for 299. Very bright and simple to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BSCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im torn between the SWFA SS fixed 10x and a Millet trs-1 4-16x. If you were starting and were willing to spend up to $400 for an optic which would you pick? Open to all suggestions. Thanks </div></div>
Welcome to the forum. If you're like a lot of us, this place will become a second home of sorts!

Lots of solid opinions listed above. If it were ME in your shoes, I'd go with the SS 10x you mentioned. It is pretty much universally considered a bulletproof design, first focal plane, and the glass is good enough for all tactical shooting applications. This scope also holds its value well so if/when you decide to upgrade, you can sell one for about $250.00 & put that money towards another scope (lots of guys keep them as well, they make a great backup scope).

I'm a vendor here & offer a dozen different brands that you may consider if you decide against the Super Sniper. However, I do think that scope is the best place to start & would absolutely recommend SWFA in fulfilling your needs.

Best of luck to you.

Knowing now what i wish i knew a few years ago.

The Bushnell 10x mil/mil or the Weaver gand slam 3-10 mil/mil from Midway would be my picks. I currently have 2 of the Weavers. One is on a 17hmr the other is a spare that gets flipped around alot, no plans to part with either of them.

I went with the SWFA SS 10x for my .308. It got me through a PR1 class with no issues shooting steel past 800 yards.

I'd also consider the Bushnell 10x mil/mil if you are set on matching the reticle and turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hbus1300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The SWFA SS 10x42 or 16x42 would be good and might have better tracking than the Viper. </div></div>

A Porsche might also be faster than a Corvette.

What rifle is it going on, how far do you plan to shoot, will it also be dual purpose for hunting coyotes and such? Need more info to give you the best answer possible.

If a dual purpose rifle then the SWFA 3-9 is hard to beat, can go down in power for hunting and up to almost the same as the 10X. Plus you get to start using mil/mil and learning the right way.

$600 now in the group buy, if you don't need the mount sell it for $180 or so and be really close to the $400 mark.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2520975&page=1

Just one option, again more details will yield better answers.

I agree with jasonk.

If you will be hunting get a variable powered scope. If not, go with the SS 10x, I have several 2.5-10x & 3.5-10x and when I am shooting on the range, 100-1000y, they are left on 10 power 100% of the time. It's only when I am out hunting that I turn it down.

Ive got a few places to shoot up to 1000 yds down a valley. I ofcourse wont attempt those shots until I get alot o practice. Im sure ill use it for coyote and deer. I just want something for a reasonable price to learn on. I know ill want to upgrade eventually and ill keep the scope for another rifle. I really appreciate the help, there are just too many good choices out there. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hbus1300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The SWFA SS 10x42 or 16x42 would be good and might have better tracking than the Viper. </div></div>

A Porsche might also be faster than a Corvette. </div></div>

But you're still not gonna beat the corvette.
smile.gif

Rifle is a Remington 700 AAC-SD by the way. And I've shot out to pretty good distances with more traditional setups.

there are quite a few trs-1 owners that are happy. you really cant compare a mil/mil 4-16 to a mil/moa 10x. i have the trs-1. i bought a ss10x and sold it the same week. but thats just me. there are 4 decent mil/mil scopes under $400. weaver 3-10, bushnell 3200 10x both from midway only. then the trs-1 and a falcon 4-16. unless another came out in the last month

but the trs-1 would be my pick over the SS10x. mine must have been an older model but i wasnt impressed with it al all.

I eye banged the millet trs 1 for awhile but I kept running into bad reviews for it both before and after the buy out. I went with a Bushy 3200 10x fixed. I just felt fixed would give me less to monkey with and you can still reach out and touch reasonable sized targets. I will say that at about half your budget the 3200 is a good scope with great turrets and tracking and you can save 200 bones for ammo or save towards your next scope

I'd throw another vote towards the SS 3x9. I had a Leupy Mk IV on my bolt gun, and then picked up the 3x9 for my rimfire. I ended up enjoying the SS a lot more and was impressed with it's clarity and tracking. I'm moving to put SS's on all my rifles.

bushnell 10x mil/mil, on sale at midway for $199 still (i think until 6/30). hard to beat for mil/mil at that price, would save a little cash over the others mentioned. more cash means more ammo to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bushnell 10x mil/mil, on sale at midway for $199 still (i think until 6/30). hard to beat for mil/mil at that price, would save a little cash over the others mentioned. more cash means more ammo to shoot. </div></div>
That is an excellent deal for a good all around scope.

Question. With a fixed power I can accurately range a target? I know that It has to be on a certain power on a variable powered scope. So would that be an advantage? And I'm also guessing that I should learn to use mil/mil?
Ive just heard that the SS is a great scope for the money but looks like the Bushnell and Weaver are also.

The New Bushnell Elite 3200 has just been improved. For the money Bushnell is hard to beat. Dont forget to save for descent rings or it will all be for not. I prefer variable with more power but without clarity more power is useless. Start with the fixed you can easily shoot the long distances with a 10x.

What are the improvements? And I have a good base and will be buying good rings.

that 10x you can range with as its set at where it is and the ret is designed for that magnification. just as you dial a variable to a certain range, that is already done with the 10x

I'm with JasonK on this one. I helped a guy at PR1 who was running a .308. He didn't have a scope so Frank (LL) loaned him a SS 3-9 FFP. He ran that little scope out to 1000 yards and made hits. He also used the scope in a competition and did quite well wit it.

The other scope that peaks my interest is the SS 10xHD. That is one fine piece of glass for the money. If I was just starting I think I would save a few extra bucks and go with the 10xHD. For a .308 bolt gun it's just about right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BSCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question. With a fixed power I can accurately range a target? I know that It has to be on a certain power on a variable powered scope. So would that be an advantage? And I'm also guessing that I should learn to use mil/mil?
Ive just heard that the SS is a great scope for the money but looks like the Bushnell and Weaver are also. </div></div>

You can defiantly mil with a fixed power scope in fact you kind of answered your own question, but I guess it bears mentioning. In a fixed power OR first focal plane scope (binos or spotter) you can establish a baseline at known ranges and be able to mil any unknown distance.

The raingaurd and light transmission is an improvment. They are always improving their durability. I am also finding out that they are very reactive to customer trends on the tactical line.

I appreciate all the replies. Best place on the net to have a question answered. Probably go with a fixed power and upgrade to bigger and better things eventually. This way I'll have a scope sitting around that needs a rifle. Will also see what deals I can get on a used one.