• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were only going to have one caliber?

We’ve successfully listed every centerfire cartridge invented since 1906. I feel this thread has stretched beyond its usefulness.... 😆

People love shooting the shit, and they like shooting the shit they shoot. Because they shoot the shit they shoot for some valid reason. If they didn’t like shooting the shit they shoot, they’d buy some different shit to shoot.

I think the OP knew this would grow legs when he OP’ed...........

We’ve successfully listed every centerfire cartridge invented since 1906. I feel this thread has stretched beyond its usefulness.... 😆

People love shooting the shit, and they like shooting the shit they shoot. Because they shoot the shit they shoot for some valid reason. If they didn’t like shooting the shit they shoot, they’d buy some different shit to shoot.

I think the OP knew this would grow legs when he OP’ed...........

300wsm

Reactions: Sparkeytj
7.6 Creed

I hear they’ll be releasing ammo with the bullet cam very soon

If you could only have 1 caliber for target shooting, deer and antelope out to 500, and maybe the once every 10 years elk hunt, what would it be? Just curious on what everyone would pick, since I’m building a rifle for that exact scenario. I was stuck on the 6.5prc, but I don’t reload so I’m thinking either 6.5cm or 7mm rm.
I have both. I bought the 6.5cm to lighten the recoil as I'm getting a little older. I've seen larger animals drop at long distances with the 6.5 cm but my only only experience is hunting Whitetail with it. I like the 6.5cm. The 7mm is my baby. Had it for years and I'm a little partial to her. With a muzzle break, the 7mm would be my perfect rifle. In my opinion, either will do you just fine for what you're looking at. Ammo is more expensive for the 7mm, only down side for me. Enjoy the hunt!

6.5 cm for now 7mm saum in the I hope not so distant future .

If you could only have 1 caliber for target shooting, deer and antelope out to 500, and maybe the once every 10 years elk hunt, what would it be?
One caliber? .308 caliber obviously!

Then you can have a .300BO, 7.62x40WT, .308Win, .30-06, and a .30WM for heavy work. I already have most of them.

Funny that everyone else listed cartridges instead of calibers. . .

If it’s 200 to 300 rounds on steel in one weekend, definitely go 6.5 if spread out the 30-06 could be fun.
This type question comes up a lot on motorcycle forums on which bike to buy. My standard reply there is whatever makes you grin when you walk into the garage. Probably change to gun safe and apply here.

Reactions: lash
.308 will do all things list and much more. Components are easy to find if reloading and a ton of factory loads if not.

If you could only have 1 caliber for target shooting, deer and antelope out to 500, and maybe the once every 10 years elk hunt, what would it be? Just curious on what everyone would pick, since I’m building a rifle for that exact scenario. I was stuck on the 6.5prc, but I don’t reload so I’m thinking either 6.5cm or 7mm rm.

6.5 PRC

6.5 CM

Deer, antelope, with occasional elk , 308 too big for deer/antelope, 3006 way too big and 338 there won't be any meat lol. I say no question 6.5 cm or PRC. Our friend kills elk at 250 to 450 here at our ranch for years with 6.5 cm ( usually takes a 2nd shot, a little small for elk, but accurat), and we use 308. Alaska moose is 300 and many use 30 06.

Someone said 7mm, my son uses 7mm for everything and it too would be an excellent choice.
20200321_141703.jpg

30-06, nothing has it's versatility and you can up the crap out of it to really shine on the ballistics. No question, about it. If you take the Elk out then you don't need the .308 and 243 would be fine. No way I'd go 6.5cm with the prc out there. the 6.5prc is the 6.5cm was supposed to be

Reactions: DRAGON64
love the only one questions...

.308, because it is the most common,
most easily scavenged if needed,
and the UN will bring more ammo for us if we have to put them in their place.

What if?? We get 2 rifles and spring for a 223 and a 308?? You will enjoy life more

6.5x284 norma

Reactions: unoboats
We probably have more 308 and 45s than any other calibers, although we have many others 30 06 7mm 300. We shoot from the porch lol 100, 150, 250 and 450.
20200503_113726.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95

6.5x284 norma
45/70.
45/70 .. .
308 all round rifle . But I would use 45-70 ..

Reactions: Bandit320
6.5 cm always available great barrel life and very capable

I'd do a 7mm projectile. Just decide how fast you want to push it and select a cartridge. If you enjoy the hobby and shoot often, you will start reloading at some point, so don't rule out the esoteric or the wildcats.

7mm or 300wm. I like the big boys. They can do everything.

I do far more target shooting so 300blk would be mine and I'd skip the elk hunt plus forget 500yds on deer .

300 Win Mag .... I settled in on that years back and seem to be stuck there. I don't have those other calibers and my 45-70 is not really a long range gun.

Reactions: robstop
Tikka T3 in 243 with 85gr Sierra. No recoil and very accurate. Lotsa dead deer.

No question in my mind 30-06 , many calibers do a better job for specific task , but you would be very hard pressed to find anything that can do most everything so well. So versatile, with 220 grain solid you could take out elephants if you choose your shot wisely. Or with the old accelerator sabots it could be a pretty formidable varmint gun...Also you can always find ammo for it.

Reactions: 338dude
50 bmg. Go big or go home. Never feel under gunned when you make a shitting shot. It will kill anything if it comes within a yard. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: beavis1971
Let's just admit that the "I am going to buy 1 rifle only" is never true. One is only fooling himself with that thought. Just make yourself a shopping list for the next 5-10 years to fullfill for other needs.

And 308 or 6.5. FMJ you can prey on big birds with them, so everything is doable, just have to pick the right bullet

6.5 CM for non reloading puffs
Ok Steel Head, I reload for 260 REM. I got a lot of flack because I chose the caliber over the 6.5 CM. Question, what loads do you use? My current loads are 139gr Scenar with 37.0 gr N160, and 123 gr Scenar with 38.4 N150.

Reactions: lash
I use .308 for all three...target, mule deer and elk. I am very happy with it. Targets out to 1000 yards, deer to 600 yards and elk to 400 yards. Limit distance on elk due to energy considerations...don’t want to go much below 1800 pounds

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
If I took elk out of the equation, would that change the responses?
Absolutely the other two you would prefer a flatter shooting cartridge for longer ranges. With elk being a bigger animal you would most likely want a .30 or higher unless shot placement is practiced and executed. I would also go bonded on the elk bullets to make sure I can punch through shoulder bones. The antelope and deer being light skinned animals don’t really need bonded unless hunting in the northern colder climates where deer bodies are bigger and fatter even then a good old regular hunting bullet will get the job done.

Reactions: robstop